Import Duties On Wine

Hi Folks,

I've a friend in America considering importing wine from America and South America. I told him I thought the total amount of duty was in the area of 280%, but that I was also not certain.

Also, he has a Thai wife and will be possibly forming the company in her name. I told him this should not be too huge an issue, but didn't swear to that. :-)

Any information, experiences, duty information and otherwise would be appreciated

Regards,

Dr. B

Edited by Dr. Burrito

I believe a Thai company needs a special government permit for the importation of alcoholic beverages.

Regarding import charges, I believe there are three different charges:

1. import duty

2. excise tax

3. VAT (value added tax)

--

Maestro

The import duty is fairly low and I beleive will be eliminated over time for imports and Australia and New Zealand under the Free Trade Agreements.

Excise Duty, which applies to all wines whether imported or locally produced, is much higher and I believe is linked both to price and alcohol content.

The import duty is fairly low and I beleive will be eliminated over time for imports and Australia and New Zealand under the Free Trade Agreements.

Excise Duty, which applies to all wines whether imported or locally produced, is much higher and I believe is linked both to price and alcohol content.

And it will never be reasonably priced any time soon. :o

Luckily I only drink Lao Mao.

Naka.