Forget the baht,what about the dollar

UK visas wonderful system of payment,with the decline of the pound against the US Dollar, the basic cost of a UK visitor visa is now over £100, not counting any foreign currency transaction charge your bank may make.

A little different to their published fee of £89.

It is the US dollar which the British Visa has to be paid in.Not Thai baht or GBP which would be logical.Many threads about this

A long standing bone of contentment which is just getting worse with the exchange rates.

On 8/9/2019 at 11:17 PM, CeeGee said:

UK visas wonderful system of payment,with the decline of the pound against the US Dollar, the basic cost of a UK visitor visa is now over £100

I am in some difficulty in following your logic here. Surely as the GBP continues on its merry way down towards possible parity with the USD one is paying correspondingly less in USD terms for a UK visa costing a constant £X in GBP terms (when bank conversion charges are excluded from the mix, of course)?

That said, though, I do agree 100% with you about the absurdity of having to pay for UK visas only in USD!

Edited by OJAS

I think I may have expressed myself badly.

You have to pay for the UK visa in dollars $121.

Assuming you are in the UK and paying for a visa for your Thai friend etc to visit you

When the UK bank conversion rate was 1.30 dollars to the £  your bank charged you £93, with a conversion rate of 1.21 you end up paying £100.

This is before your bank making a currency conversion charge.

I know it is no UK visas fault the the exchange rate is terrible but having to pay in dollars just adds to the cost.

It is just that at the end of the day the cost of a visa is going up(not counting any increase in cost the UK Gov may make to the base price of the visa)

Edited by CeeGee
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, CeeGee said:

I think I may have expressed myself badly.

You have to pay for the UK visa in dollars $121.

Assuming you are in the UK and paying for a visa for your Thai friend etc to visit you

When the UK bank conversion rate was 1.30 dollars to the £  your bank charged you £93, with a conversion rate of 1.21 you end up paying £100.

This is before your bank making a currency conversion charge.

I know it is no UK visas fault the the exchange rate is terrible but having to pay in dollars just adds to the cost.

It is just that at the end of the day the cost of a visa is going up(not counting any increase in cost the UK Gov may make to the base price of the visa)

I am completely confused as to why the UK Govt would expect payment for anything in USD.

• Like 1

Took a quick look for US citizens visa to UK.

The United Kingdom Visas and Immigration authorities charge the applicants with a fee in Pounds Sterling (GBP) in order to cover the administration costs regarding handling of visa application.

Aside from Sterling, the fees can also be paid in local currency, according to the exchange rate set by the Home Office. All Home Office exchange rates are reviewed on a fortnightly basis and updated if they have changed beyond agreed tolerance of a 3-5% away from the commercial rate. The same Home Office exchange rate should be used by all posts for any given currency.

10 hours ago, ThaiVisa69 said:

Sounds like they want to make sure they get something worth more than an ounce.

USDollar , that will do nicely . 

However that said , I do remember when gbp, was more than just ,  Good Bog Paper.

Edited by elliss
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No one feels sorry for the British. Not meant to sound harsh as I like London and some Brit friends. But your currency and arrogance was too high for many years. And your history of brutal conquests makes you as popular as the Vikings and Pirates. With your dumb Brexit decisions no one wants the pound and the pound will be worth less than a USA dollar next year Rome has fallen again as history repeats itself. IMO. 

• Like 1