250THB per day budget on Sukhumvit.

13 minutes ago, atyclb said:

nothing wrong about being frugal. the street food near my condo is quite good and also cheap. seafood fried rice 50 baht and so on.  som dom 35, i get 5 baht sticky rice because 10 baht is too much for me to eat. a plate of deep fried sea bass with sweet chilli sauce over rice is 70 baht. my condo is 98% thai and lots of high end cars in parking including benz, bmw, ferrari, lambo, etc etc. owners eat at same street food places i eat at.  if food is good, clean, close and cheap why bother waiting in traffic to go somewhere else?

i had a friend from a very wealthy family, grown man but enjoyed scouting the supermarkets for markdowns. 

Your friend, but it wasn't you? What's wrong with buying something that's still good for half of the money?

We always buy our bread at Big C after 7 pm, then they sell the fresh bread made on the same day for almost half the price. 

• Like 2

OP, let's meet at Sukhumvit and then to Nana and watch all the barstool junkies and I buy you a big water, okay? 

If you speak Isaan you can meet quite a few ladies there who are on a short holiday away from their family. 

Perhaps if you invite one to a mineral water, she'll come with you? ????

I pronounce the experiment a failure.  Had OP been truly on the ball he would have realized it was cheaper to refill that rather extravagant bottle of water from a machine.  The initial purchasing error could be overlooked, since it was necessary to obtain a plastic bottle, however the subsequent repetitive errors are quite unforgivable.

• Haha 1

On 8/11/2019 at 10:23 AM, Pattayabeerbacon said:

With thais i have noticed the more money you have the more money you pay.

i like living like this, it suite me, i like thailand on a peasants budget it helps to gain perspective.  

Sound advice mate , i am a brit retired on old age pension . 

A peasants life indeed,  count our blessings , one by one...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Isaanbiker said:
2 hours ago, atyclb said:

nothing wrong about being frugal. the street food near my condo is quite good and also cheap. seafood fried rice 50 baht and so on.  som dom 35, i get 5 baht sticky rice because 10 baht is too much for me to eat. a plate of deep fried sea bass with sweet chilli sauce over rice is 70 baht. my condo is 98% thai and lots of high end cars in parking including benz, bmw, ferrari, lambo, etc etc. owners eat at same street food places i eat at.  if food is good, clean, close and cheap why bother waiting in traffic to go somewhere else?

i had a friend from a very wealthy family, grown man but enjoyed scouting the supermarkets for markdowns. 

Your friend, but it wasn't you? What's wrong with buying something that's still good for half of the money?

We always buy our bread at Big C after 7 pm, then they sell the fresh bread made on the same day for almost half the price. 

now i also do that after my friend showed me. thing is big c used to mark everything down 50% to start but currently they dont and often not such a good deal.

1 hour ago, madmen said:
2 hours ago, atyclb said:

a plate of deep fried sea bass with sweet chilli sauce over rice is 70 baht

Ahaha. dude that is disgusting Mekong river carp. Think about it who can buy a whole sea bass for 40 baht to make a profit ? don't worry your not the first to get it wrong

wrong, its lovely chaopyra river carp

5 hours ago, Hans007 said:

All jokes aside......if you live in Thailand longterm I think you should stay away if you NOT have min 40.000 Bath a month.

Better stay in Europe...USA or in Aussie land then.

Thailand is actualy NOT a cheap country imho.  Thats for sure. Thai government wants to keep out the Euro/USA riff raffs..thats for sure...who can blaim them? Backpackers or cheap Charlies dont spend money you know.

My Chinese GF spends every day at least (!!) 1000 Bath only on eating out..!! Sometimes even more. And she is NOT a high end top earner..just average middle class. Mind you she is NOT a tourist but lives in Thailand longterm.

Still Thailand is cheaper regarding dinnig out then Germany...if I would like to live like here in germany...I had to spend at least 50 Euros a day..!! Cant afford that...simple as that. And I am middle class too..!! I own a house..have a decent car etc etc etc..

TC All.

Hans.

thai businesses make lots of money and gear themselves for so called backpackers. many of them save money on places to sleep so they can splurge on nice food and activities. like condemning people that fly airasia

Edited by atyclb

15 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

This topic is beginning to get depressing. Shouldn’t all this have stopped when you finished being a student?

Yea, I can't feel sorry for people like this, especially when they're in their 40s, 50s, 60s etc. What did you do for your whole life? You never saved anything? Never made a smart investment?

1 hour ago, MarleyMarl said:

Yea, I can't feel sorry for people like this, especially when they're in their 40s, 50s, 60s etc. What did you do for your whole life? You never saved anything? Never made a smart investment?

For some it was life, lots of good people who didn't plan properly. But, in the case of the OP, he's just yanking your chain ahahhaa

On 8/11/2019 at 9:56 AM, Radar501 said:

Try cutting back on the water.

Very easy ;

Why not buy from time to time a tank of 20 liters of pickup water that passes every morning;
80 baht the empty tank; 10 baht the 20-liter refill;
so 1 liter for 50 satang ...

I say that, I wrote nothing but I never drink alcohol ...:cheesy: ( I also don't smoke )

12 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

For some it was life, lots of good people who didn't plan properly. But, in the case of the OP, he's just yanking your chain ahahhaa

That's true, some people just have zero financial intelligence, my mother is one of those people haha.

4 minutes ago, Pattayabeerbacon said:

BTW I was staying in a hostel on sukhumvit for 100 THB per night so my full budget was 350THB per day.

There was a few  really hot bar girls in the dorm but they werent uninterested in a old alcoholic bum like me....

maybe you can chat up those really fat women who are in full black burkas around Soi 4. 

"Hey honey, mind if I slip under there with you? No one will notice."

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Pattayabeerbacon said:

BTW I was staying in a hostel on sukhumvit for 100 THB per night so my full budget was 350THB per day.

There was a few  really hot bar girls in the dorm but they werent uninterested in a old alcoholic bum like me....

Alcoholic on your budget??????? Nice to see your off the sauce, good luck and best wishes. 

I think I saw you last night, laying on suhkomvit by McDonald's, with a 7/11 cup in front of you, 

21 hours ago, mommysboy said:

I pronounce the experiment a failure.  Had OP been truly on the ball he would have realized it was cheaper to refill that rather extravagant bottle of water from a machine.  The initial purchasing error could be overlooked, since it was necessary to obtain a plastic bottle, however the subsequent repetitive errors are quite unforgivable.

A great post, indeed. We could meet this gentleman, invite him to a Mama and a big bottle of the best water 7 Eleven has to offer.

Including a plastic back for his waste, of course. 

And then we could make a field trip to the best bars and establishments, chose our lady for the night (of course not shared) to make him understand what he's missing. 

Of course, will we buy him one more water when back on the road? 

8 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

A great post, indeed. We could meet this gentleman, invite him to a Mama and a big bottle of the best water 7 Eleven has to offer.

Including a plastic back for his waste, of course. 

And then we could make a field trip to the best bars and establishments, chose our lady for the night (of course not shared) to make him understand what he's missing. 

Of course, will we buy him one more water when back on the road? 

i figured if i actually searched harder i could cut the budget to an all up amount of 300 THB including the room, even less, i could do it for 200 a day, that would require buying coffee in bulk from big c.

searching the back sois for 1 baht reverse osmosis water and finding some ultra cheap thai omelette on rice too would slice the budget in half.

its very doable, my 250 THB budget is not even penny pinching at all compared to what i could save if i really wanted.

Edited by Pattayabeerbacon
  • Sad 1