Self Employment For Work Permit

Looking at the qualifications for a work permit, it seems I can get one if I work for a company with 2M baht in the bank.

If I form a legal company, as many do for land ownership, and put the requisite money in, can I then get a work permit for myself as the company's sole employee?

I'm a musician, looking for a way to play occasional or steady gigs without being arrested and deported (as my friend was). If I'm able to do this, my company would contract to the client to provide entertainment. The company would then pay me.

It sounds too simple. Are there catches, other than the the need to tie up 2M baht?

thanks

If you REGISTER 2,000,000 baht capitalization (and pay in 25% - but no one tends to check), you can get a work permit - regardless of Thai employees, or additional paid-in capital. Your work permit will be as Managing Director of your holding company. You then specify an activity of your company as providing entertainment. If you can DOCUMENT that your are qualified as a musician (by DOCUMENTED training or DOCUMENTED experience), you can perform that work. Best to have it carefully worked into your MD job description - part of your responsibility is to network with clients, and to do this, you participate in musical performances.

But - your work permit will expire every time yor entry permit expires - meaning every 90 days. So - every 90 days, you need to make a visa run, and - upon return - revalidate your work permit. Very helpful to have a one-year multiple-entry visa - so you just have to mkae "border turns" instead of apply and wait for a visa.

To get extended entry permit based on employment - THAT is when you need 2,000,000 baht paid in capital and four Thai employees - documented by you paying in 10% of salaries (5% withheld, 5% employer match) for each Thai employee - with each worker earning a minimum of just under 6,000 baht. So - you must pay to Social Fund department 4 x 600 baht - 2,400 baht. For Bangkok applications, Immigration inspectors are very likely to show up at your registered business address, and do a head-count and identiity match of your employees. If any employees are absent, they may be required to report to Immigration office at Soi Suan Phlu to sign in - within 48 hours.

You will also need to pay for monthly bookkeeping, and for maintaining a legally registered business address. For 90% of my firm's clients (and for 100% of the "bootstrap" guys), meeting the Revenue Department standards for documenting their registered business address is the single toughest aspect of operating a "shoestring" company. To get tax registration, you must submit GLOSSY photo of entrance to your office, showing both company name sign, and street or office/room number, street location map, and certification by building owner that your business is a registered tennant - inluding signed documentation showing building ownership, plus personal identity documents of person who owns the building.

Good luck!

Steve Sykes

Managing Director

Indo-Siam Group

Bangkok

[email protected]

www.thaistartup.com

>>>your work permit will expire every time yor entry permit expires - meaning every 90 days. 

>>>meeting the Revenue Department standards for documenting their registered business address is the single toughest aspect of operating a "shoestring" company. 

Thanks, Steve. Very helpful. A couple questions.....

1) I've been planning to 'land' as a pensioner. I'm over 50 and have the capital to deposit, and it seems the easiest way to go. Does this rule out owning a company and being its MD/employee?

2) Another reason for forming a company is to own the land my residence is on. I know other people doing this, but no one's mentioned having to document a business address. Is there something different in their situation, or is there a dodge they use?

3) I'm also investigating Treaty of Amity (I'm American) registration. Is this worthwhile if the company's purpose is limited, as for property ownership and/or work permit?

Thanks for your attention. I'll check out your web site and see if I can bring you any business.

Cheers,

Gary

Gary - I will reply in more detail tonight. You CANNOT apply for a work permit if you are holding a retirement visa/entry permit. Your age alone is not significant - but having Class O retirement status is. If you wish to be employed, and you have a retirement entry permit, you must exit country and obtain any other non-immigrant visa - that action automatically cancels your retirement status.

You may be a shareholder, and even an unpaid director of a company, regardless of other status. You can be both of thesewithout ever having set foot in Thailand, as long as someone obtains your signatures.

More to follow - 'gotta go now.

Cheers!

Steve Sykes

Managing Director

Indo-Siam Group

Bangkok

[email protected]

www.thaistartup.com