Get 3,000 baht for reporting illegal street racers, RTP tells public

webfact

Get 3,000 baht for reporting illegal street racers, RTP tells public

2pm.jpg

Thai caption: Get 3,000 (baht for information)

The Royal Thai Police have told the public that they can get 3,000 baht for reporting illegal street racers starting next month. 

The move comes after successful crackdowns on racers, mostly motorcyclists. 

But the RTP have warned the public - providing false information could land you in jail or face a heavy fine. 

Pol Lt-Gen Damrongsak Kittipraphat was talking to the press at RTP HQ in his capacity as a member of a committee looking into the problem of street racing in Thailand. 

He said that the public could provide information to the police in a number of ways such as with dash cam clips, calls to the 191 or 1599 numbers or by leaving information on the RTP's social media page. 

2pm2.jpg

Picture: Daily News

If there are successful prosecutions the informant can get 3,000 baht. The money would come from a special "investigation fund". 

But he warned people who gave false information could be jailed for a month or fined 10,000 baht. 

In related news the number of street racers in Bangkok last long weekend, usually a busy time for the police in arresting miscreants, was down. 

But the problem was just as bad outside the capital with Nakorn Sri Thammarat and Chaiyaphum said to be hotbeds of street racing, said Daily News. 

In two separate crime sweeps in the last month more than 48,000 people have been arrested and fined with racers, promoters and parents being charged. People with adapted exhausts and using adapted vehicles were also part of this number and fined. 

A second crackdown netted far fewer breaking the law than the first with police saying that their measures were proving effective in the battle against street racing. 

In the light of this success Daily News did not say why it was now necessary to offer incentives to the public to report on illegal racers, notes Thaivisa. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-08-16

Will I also get money when I report all those idiots who drive while they play with their "smart" phone?

And how about people in luxury cars who make illegal turns and U-turns?

I see them all the time. I am sure I would make a lot of money even if the police would only pay 500B for each offender.

Strange that the police have to offer a reward for reporting street racers when it's so in ones face. Do they walk around with their eyes closed? On top of that the police receive 95% of the issued fine. That in itself is a bonus.

The racers are a small part of a bigger problem ,all modified exhaust ( loud scooters) ,no one modifies an exhaust to obey speeds, these dumb <deleted> are the racers ,the speeders the thieves,the lawless one way wrong way at breakneck speeders...rid the streets of this vermen and the problem is over...

8 hours ago, mok199 said:

The racers are a small part of a bigger problem ,all modified exhaust ( loud scooters) ,no one modifies an exhaust to obey speeds, these dumb <deleted> are the racers ,the speeders the thieves,the lawless one way wrong way at breakneck speeders...rid the streets of this vermen and the problem is over...

Thailand has an issue with noise, I have been posting for a long time about small brained immature Thais removing any resemblance of effective muffler, not only are they extremely loud but it isn't even a pleasant sound, in pattaya it has reached epidemic proportions - I live by what used to be a quiet soi - now all night and all day we have these dicks on scooters with basically no exhaust racing past - you can hear them coming from far away making as much noise as possible, it is now out of control and the police are doing absolutely nothing about it, it also encourages these idiots to drive like lunatics, how on earth they think it is somehow cool is beyond comprehension, I ride a big bike and no way could I put up with noise like that when riding it       

1 hour ago, smedly said:

Thailand has an issue with noise

our soi in Pattaya is out of control ....Its all about the attention, and thai males demand it , to be noticed is paramount, to be seen or heard is the motive for much of what they do..the loud scooter has allowed every wanna be alpha male to feel a sense of power,and stand out in the group, replaceing the ''chest pounding''....primitive really IF these mutts think a 110 scoopy with a loud muffler is the sweet sound of high performance,,,they have a very simple life..

2 hours ago, smedly said:

Thailand has an issue with noise, I have been posting for a long time about small brained immature Thais removing any resemblance of effective muffler, not only are they extremely loud but it isn't even a pleasant sound, in pattaya it has reached epidemic proportions - I live by what used to be a quiet soi - now all night and all day we have these dicks on scooters with basically no exhaust racing past - you can hear them coming from far away making as much noise as possible, it is now out of control and the police are doing absolutely nothing about it, it also encourages these idiots to drive like lunatics, how on earth they think it is somehow cool is beyond comprehension, I ride a big bike and no way could I put up with noise like that when riding it       

I'm surprised no one from the 'if you don't like it then      off back to your own country' hasn't posted.

They should form a committee on how to get the police to do what the police should be doing, and stop trying to figure out how to get everyone else to do what police normally do~actively enforce the law~everywhere at all times 24/7.  Pay them more, and fire the ones that don't do their jobs

5 hours ago, PatOngo said:

You may get capped yourself if they find out who reported them!

You may be capped for suggesting someone may get capped for capping a street racer. Do you see how ridiculous such statements are?  

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Will I also get money when I report all those idiots who drive while they play with their "smart" phone?

No... 

This highlights the ineffectiveness of the police . My town of Prasat near Surin has a weekly street racing event on Friday & Saturday , some times Sunday . Have seen police road blocks ( Rare occasion ) but the non helmeted motor cyclists drive around them , make a "u" turn 500 meters down the road and come back doing 100 kph plus in a defiant way on their non baffled exhausts and laughing at the police . Not only dangerous to other road users and pedestrians , the noise factor is deafening and whole problem is out of control .

Had a similar problem near my UK home but it was cars that were racing on the streets at weekends . Police clamped down in numbers and impounded the cars , solved in a month  .  

On 8/16/2019 at 10:08 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

I see them all the time. I am sure I would make a lot of money even if the police would only pay 500B for each offender.

"If there are successful prosecutions the informant can get 3,000 baht. The money would come from a special "investigation fund". 

Archived