Vientiane: Any markets or convenience stores near the Thai consulate?

Hal65

I used to stay in a guesthouse downtown when doing visa runs, but this year am staying in Vien Vang Hotel which is 100 meters away from the Thai consulate.

Does anyone know if there is an M-Point mart or other convenience store or mini market nearby? Restaurants like the one at Vien Vang are nice, but I need either a proper market to buy some food for late night (I sleep very late) or a convenience store like M-Point that is able to serve heated food until 12am (like in the downtown area).

Right across the road from Vang Vien hotel there is a convenience shop. Regarding late night food, you will be hard put to find anywhere open after 10 o'clock. I know the area well and I lived in Phounsouane for  a year or so. There a number of eateries very close by, including the big pizza house which is on the on the corner of the road which takes you to the consulate. Apart from downtown, I think you would have to go to the various food shops on Thadeua Road at Si Muang.  There is an M Point on Nongbone Road on the way to Talat Sao (i.e. heading into town) and you could walk there in just over 15 minutes. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

I just remembered, there is an M Point on Donpalang Road which you can walk to in about 10 minutes from the VV hotel - come out the hotel and go right and walk along about 0.5 km taking the bend and you will be at  just facing Anousoune English Center, then take a right up to Donpalang, go straight ahead and you are at Donpalang  and the M point is nearby.

• Like 1

I had to find a medication in Laos and was directed to the biggest, best hospital in Vientiane.  It looked like something you'd see in a the "Bridge over the River Quai," only enormous.  An infirmary of hopelessness, that should have a sign over the entrance proclaiming, "Abandon Hope, ye who enter by me."

Edited by Dolmance

14 hours ago, Boit said:

How about hospitals - any good quality health care in Laos? 

No it's horrible, you might get lucky to find a doctor that got educated in Thailand, that's your best bet. There's also brits and germans etc but they all operate on a mini budget so their equipment is just not there...

But comparing thailands medical system is to lao is like comparing a tesla to a est german trabant, it's really night and day.

here's a list of everything: https://www.golaos.tours/best-international-hospitals-local-clinics-laos/

Would go with the Australian Embassy Clinic in a non-emergency or if i had some kind of Malaria or other infection then to Mahosot.

For something serious the next best hospital is imho in Thailand/Udon, Aek Udon hospital.

Edited by ThomasThBKK

• 5 months later...