E85 gasoline substitute

Torso84

Hello,

My car uses Gasohol E85 but sometimes the gas station does not have it and I was wondering which other gasoline I could use ?

E85 is 85% Ethanol, so my guess would be that the closest is E20 with 20% Ethanol.

Thanks for your help.

I have used E85, E20 when not available, and even 95 when neither was available in my Honda, with no issues.

Interestingly I did find that although E85 is a lower price, the car actually gave better MPG on E20

Sounds like you have an early (2011) "flexfuel" car.

(nowadays there is wide range of flexfuel cars)

Compression is high, so you should use a 95 octane fuel.

E20 or Gasohol 95 (24.74 and 27.48 Baht today).

Gasoline/benzene would of course also be fine but expensive (35.16 Baht today) and also not available everywhere. E85 at 20.09 today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Ecotec_engine

LEA

The LEA is an E85 compatible variant of the LAF. Bore, stroke, and compression ratio all remain the same. Maximum engine speed is listed at 7000 RPM.

The noted fuel prices are the low end prices a PTT. Expect to see higher depending on location and company.

5 hours ago, Torso84 said:

It is written E85 at the back of the filler flap.

My car is a Chevrolet Captiva from 2011.

I also have a captiva gasoline 2.4 , you can use anything 

Smart fuel sign  is on the back.

E85 is cheap and only good for long distance riding.

I get more miles around the city with E95 , and i tried them all.

PTT is the only one that has E85 by the way.

Good luck.

2 hours ago, CharlieH said:

I have used E85, E20 when not available, and even 95 when neither was available in my Honda, with no issues.

Interestingly I did find that although E85 is a lower price, the car actually gave better MPG on E20

Not surprising. E85 is almost pure ethanol which produces less power than gasoline and lower mpg.

I also have a captiva gasoline 2.4 , you can use anything 
Smart fuel sign  is on the back.
E85 is cheap and only good for long distance riding.
I get more miles around the city with E95 , and i tried them all.
PTT is the only one that has E85 by the way.

Good luck.

Two of my closest Bangchak stations have E85 but local PTT and Shell don’t.

7 minutes ago, Retfed50 said:

Not surprising. E85 is almost pure ethanol which produces less power than gasoline and lower mpg.

Considering how much less power , and the increased fuel consumption you get when using E 85 , the better value ( Baht per energy ) is from the E20. Not to mention less problems with water absorsion.

With the current prices you should always get E20, this is the cheapest fuel when looking at how much energy you get per baht. (because it contains more energy it lasts longer than E85, so less stops at the gas station required)

If E20 is not available, then E85, if both is not available then 91/95

1 hour ago, Retfed50 said:

Using E85 could actually produce more power. Ethanol has 113 octane rating, so depending on the gasoline rating used E85 has about 108. A turbo engine can increase the boost without knocking if using E85. Like my car which is rated 180hp with 95 octane gasoline and 210hp with E85.

Archived