Classifiers In The Thai Language - Help!

wineman

I began learning to speak Thai a few weeks ago, and am enjoying doing so. However, Classifiers are giving me a bit of a headache. I would be obliged if some kind person will please tell me what is the rule of thumb regarding where one places a classifier in a sentence.

I began learning to speak Thai a few weeks ago, and am enjoying doing so. However, Classifiers are giving me a bit of a headache. I would be obliged if some kind person will please tell me what is the rule of thumb regarding where one places a classifier in a sentence.

a subject better for the "thai language sub forum"

anyway, clasifiers are - well think of them as a word for a grouping of any type of item that has a similar shape, look, use, colour etc.

eg the thai word "pairn" is the classifier for most flat, sheet like objects. eg wood sheets, metal sheets, printing paper A4, slices of ham etc.

cheers,

Soundman.

Here's the basic pattern

English

numeral + noun

Example: Two glasses. 'Two' is a numeral. 'Glasses' is a noun.

Thai

noun + numeral + classifier

Example: แก้วสองใบ [FL]kaew [RL]sawng [MS]bai = glass two [classifier])

แก้ว noun

สอง numeral

ใบ classifier

With a description:

English

numeral + adjective + noun

Example: Three red cars.

Thai

noun + adjective + numeral + classifier

Example: รถสีแดงสามคัน [H]rod [R]sii [LM]daeng [R]saam [M]khan

Car colour red three [classifier]

So is it correct to say that the classifier should always come at the end or would this be also correct?

Kor beer singha kuad neung Krap.

This is the way I understand it, but only when it's a single/one item (neung)

totster :o

This is the way I understand it, but only when it's a single/one item (neung)

So if it was rounds I would need to ask;

Kor beer singha si kuad krap or would Kor beer singha kuad si krap still be ok?

Kor beer singha si kuad krap is ok

Kor beer singha kuad si krap is not ok

You can only do that switch at the end if the amount of items is 1.

Kor beer singh kuad neung Krap.

Look at this in English as it's pretty similar.

Can I have four bottles of Singha?

Can I have one Singha and one Heineken?

Can I have a bottle of Singha?

This is more of a colloquial/spoken expression. You will possibly find that if you are being taught by a Thai teacher she will correct Kor beer singha kuad neung Krap to Kor beer singha neung kuad Krap.

On ordering two bottles you may hear the girl your talking to shout soong singh to the bar staff. This is obviously not a complete sentence though.

Thais do funny things with classifiers I've noticed. They will sometimes use different classifiers. Perhaps because they forget or prefer one to another. I bought an electric drill once and the shop assistant referred to it saying dtua nii. I thought that kreung nii would have been more appropriate and my Thai teacher agreed with me.

I also once heard a student of mine saying that someone had lots of boyfriends/girlfriends. She said mii faen laai dtua. This should definitely be laai kon but was perhaps used to be insulting/informal/cool.

Haas' Thai to English dictionary lists classifiers next to nouns and often there is more than one option.

If you google Thai classifier you will find lists, there was a very long post here before so you could also search the forum.

Edited by withnail

I also once heard a student of mine saying that someone had lots of boyfriends/girlfriends. She said mii faen laai dtua. This should definitely be laai kon but was perhaps used to be insulting/informal/cool.

Interesting.

I wonder which it was.

'dtua' being both the animal classifier, and another expression for 'body' could possibly mean a.) her boyfriends are ignorant like animals, not knowing they are being juggled. b.) They are 'casual sex' boyfriends. Hence their bodies are more important than their minds.

Or I am reading too much into it - it could just be a cool expression to use - the 'flavour of the month' of words. There are a lot of those floating around with teenagers.

It was a girl saying to another girl เขามีแฟนหลายตัว I don't know who it was about, but I sincerely hope that you're not right with b.) as the two girls were 12 years old.

This topic got me thinking Meadish. Do you remember that a while ago we had a discussion about the classifier for orgasms? I'd recently heard the expression หลายรอบแล้วค่ะ :o which you said you weren't familiar with. I'm just wondering does that say more about your Thai ability or.........? :D

Sorry if this is a bit close to the mark.

p.s. I added the ค่ะ myself just to emphasise that it was indeed a woman who said it to me.

Interesting.

I wonder which it was.

'dtua' being both the animal classifier, and another expression for 'body' could possibly mean a.) her boyfriends are ignorant like animals, not knowing they are being juggled. b.) They are 'casual sex' boyfriends. Hence their bodies are more important than their minds.

Or I am reading too much into it - it could just be a cool expression to use - the 'flavour of the month' of words. There are a lot of those floating around with teenagers.

Perhaps mods it might be a good idea to take the meat out of that original post and pin it.

Also for anyone that can read Thai you can buy small pocket books of classifiers in most bookshops. I can't comment on the quality of them I'm afraid.

Edited by withnail

Here's the basic pattern

English

numeral + noun

Example: Two glasses. 'Two' is a numeral. 'Glasses' is a noun.

English

numeral + adjective + noun

Example: Three red cars.

Sometimes it helps English speakers who are begining to learn Thai to point out to them that English also has sets of nouns that require classifiers for counting. These nouns are called mass nouns. They include liquids and items composed of small particles. In Thai, all nouns are treated as mass nouns.

I will have three glasses of milk. (the noun milk must be counted by using a classifier)

I will take two cups of sugar. (the noun sugar must be counted by using a classifier)

Many Thai classifiers are based upon the general shape of the object. But just as we can count mass nouns in English with a number of classifiers, so to there is sometimes a limited leeway as to which classifier one uses for any particular noun in Thai.

Although a bit awkward in the beginning, your brain will adjust pretty quickly to this linguistic difference.