Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Couple next door have opened a factory. What can I do?

32 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

Excrutiatingly painful. You coiuld get me to move, for sure.

... yep, that's nasty ... I was sucessful with this one:

... neighbor was an ahole in any regard, meanwhile he's up the chimney ... good things come if you just wait ...

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my village we created a group in LINE for general communication - and had meetings with Jursitic. There are a few issues, and a few promises were made (lines marked for parking and new regulations/resident stickers).

However, unless organised with the residents and unless Juristic is interested to fix this, then there's nothing you can do. Police are never seen in Moobahns - there aren't any proper rules as far as I can see.

I think normal behaviour is to stick some brooms in buckets of concrete and line them up in the middle of the road - that's how they generally claim public roads as personal parking spaces. If they block your driveway, then you need to think about buying a forklift or something - that'll fix it.

2 hours ago, dddave said:

You are really in a no win situation.  Even if you were able to get authorities to either modify their operating times or close them down, you will likely incur their wrath and they can easily make your life miserable in many ways after that.

As another mentioned, you are fortunate to be renting which gives you options.  Either live with it and in as non-confrontational a way as possible, see if you can negotiate at least some concessions regarding parking and working hours or just move along.  You really have no leverage to force any changes unless you can get your landlord to take up the case.

Make the realization it's not going to change and confrontation with the factory owner / staff can be dangerous.

Tell your landlord your moving on after you have found another suitable house and your all organized to move your possessions. Take photos of the house / property with a time / date stamp, etc.

2 hours ago, kellersphuket said:

without any regard for people living in the local vicinity?

Absolutely disgusting.

I had one shock after moving to a new house - they complained when I decided to wash the car. First few years they're pretty strict - and they have a rule that you're not allowed to wash your car!!!

Not so much 'disgusting' as testimony to the completely mindless nature of their tiny authoritarian brains.

They put speed bumps across one road that passes the fronts of the moobahn entrances, the speed bumps go all the way to one kerb - so bikes rode the other side (both ways) to use the gutter and avoid the bumps. They're extreme, cars need to go under 10km/h to avoid denting the rooves from inside... the answer? Rather than shorten the bumps (and let water drain) they just threw more tarmac on the other end... now we get flooded every time there's a shower.

No need to fix anything, if something's wrong, just f*@k it up some more.

If its not tolerable - Move

Talk to your landlord, tell him he will lose a tenant, and doubt anyone else will take it with that next door. Deaf ears ? Move.

Anything else is just a stress and frankly will probably be just a waste of time, the Thai attitude generally is one of "up to them" and "live and let live" be grateful they didnt decide to start making Nam pla instead ! 

Start making an exit strategy, plan for the worst, hope for the best. ????

Add in to your next tenancy agreement that any such incident will give you the right to terminate the contract.

(future planning)

8 hours ago, madmen said:

This will always happen as long as you live in an area surrounded by thais . move to an expat area ! Also if you leave early you will lose your deposit

Do such areas actually exist, except in the fevered imaginations of farang forums? OK, so there are a few areas that might be labelled expat areas just because a handful of farangs live there. But frankly, no local really cares a flying fritter about expats, except when some sort of payment is due or might be soon expected. In fact, the presence of a few farangs often makes things worse noisewise, because there is almost always some local with the bright idea that farangs automatically need noisy entertainment.

Keep a low profile and let them mess it up all on their own. It happens all the time.

16 minutes ago, Mexlark said:

Do such areas actually exist, except in the fevered imaginations of farang forums? OK, so there are a few areas that might be labelled expat areas just because a handful of farangs live there. But frankly, no local really cares a flying fritter about expats, except when some sort of payment is due or might be soon expected. In fact, the presence of a few farangs often makes things worse noisewise, because there is almost always  some local with the bright idea that farangs automatically need noisy entertainment.

Keep a low profile and let them mess it up all on their own. It happens all the time.

My example is I live lower Sukhimvit  Asoke and only wealthy farang and Thais in our condo, you can hear a pin drop in my corner condo been that way for 12 years now. The hillbilly Thais are out in moobans where they can afford it along with farang forced to live like a Thai by budget  and then get all upset when the house next door opens a motorbike repair shop. You want to live like a Thai better get use to it !

Why are Thais so insensitive to noise? In fact they seem to love turning up the bass all the way and the volume to the point of distortion.

I would avoid direct confrontation which could lead to getting your head kicked in.

I once got rid of such a problem by paying a visit to the local Kamnan (village head man). Which involved going out into a mosquito infested swamp, in pitch darkness, over some rickety planks, carrying a bottle of Scotland's finest amber nectar. Result, he visited the yobs next door and told em to shut up or move out. They complied.

Another Thai neighbour kept roosters about 5 meters from my bedroom window (the noise!). I had my lawyer phone the local Tessabaan (Council) and the roosters got the boot.

Never confront Thais direct. Always use the Godfather system (another Thai who is above them). The beauty of this is they will not know it was you behind the complaint.

11 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

nuke them with this. i just played this and both my cats died.

Never mind the cats dying. Play a piece of "Igor Stravinsky" full blast. Not only the cats, but also the Thai perpetraitors will die. The ultimate solution.

Moving might be your best option, at least you only rent.

By another of your posts I thought you were considering moving anyway, out of Thailand, Cebu or LATAM.

Might as well make the move.

Where I am the circumstances you describe would simply not happen.

Just excessive noise late at night would result in a police visit.

i lived in the most quiet place in south pattaya,

then a resturant was built down the road

that kept open until late night,

and the cars loved to rev their engines along that road, and play music as loud as their subwoofers could handle.

it worked by getting myself so drunk

that i literally could not drink more,

but any less and they would keep me awake until 3-4 am.

it was nice until then, the best money could buy,

but not after, so i moved. good times tho

Confrontation would be ill-advised as a Farang has scant few protections in Thailand.

And, in particular, a confrontation that effects a Thai's business is usually to be avoided at all costs as it can easily turn violent.

The best strategy is to first try the softly-softly approach if you are on neutral or good terms with the neighbors.

If the soft approach doesn't work, then you should probably consider moving.

20 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

go to Tesco Lotus, they have those cheap but very loud karaoke amplifiers. plug your phone into. Just when they go to sleep for the night, blast   "Flight of the Valkyries" at full volume. or maybe for you, "Start Me Up" by the Stones.

Like, love your answer;

or AC/DC - Highway to Hell (from Live at River Plate)

If you are in a rental then your first stop is the owner. Whatever the owner considers as an acceptable condition for tenancy then you are stuck with it...of course your contract with the owner may even allow this...or it may not. Check your contract. 

10 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Why are Thais so insensitive to noise? In fact they seem to love turning up the bass all the way and the volume to the point of distortion.

I would avoid direct confrontation which could lead to getting your head kicked in.

I once got rid of such a problem by paying a visit to the local Kamnan (village head man). Which involved going out into a mosquito infested swamp, in pitch darkness, over some rickety planks, carrying a bottle of Scotland's finest amber nectar. Result, he visited the yobs next door and told em to shut up or move out. They complied.

Another Thai neighbour kept roosters about 5 meters from my bedroom window (the noise!). I had my lawyer phone the local Tessabaan (Council) and the roosters got the boot.

Never confront Thais direct. Always use the Godfather system (another Thai who is above them). The beauty of this is they will not know it was you behind the complaint.

" The beauty of this is they will not know it was you behind the complaint."

Don't be so sure about that. A young rich Thai boy decided he would take over our village pool and start a swimming school (his dream). He told the security guards to allow anybody, without question, to drive inside our village and park anywhere.

Didn't take long, the internal sois near the pool taken over as a carpark, cars parked across entrance driveways to many houses, rubbish from the cars just thrown on the ground etc.

I was waylaid by a group of village housewives (all ThaI) they were all angry at the situation but too shy to go to the office and ask for something to be done about it. They had several issues (as above) but their main concern was that the village now had no security - anybody allowed enter and leave with no check, no ID deposited at the gate, nothing.

I went to the office along with my adult Thai son (who is well known because of his university status), we explained that we were there on behalf of a large group of Thai owners who were concerned about the parking and rubbish but above all the total loss of security.

The office manager listened and said she would try to fix the situation. She went to the security cabin and said 'the farang has complained about .....'. Result:

- Nothing changed about the outside cars coming in and out without any check.

- The security guards blocked my car entering the village and said to me why farang always make trouble.

My son found a contact at the HO of the development company who were still involved in finishing their work on the just opened village. The Swim school owner was asked if he had any qualifications to operate a swim school, none, and was asked to demonstrate CPR. He couldn't.

The developer and the office manager sent a letter to every house stating the details in the paragraph above and stating that the security guards had been instructed to return immediately to the proper security system but they continued to sideline my car etc., eventually a general meeting was called about several issues, an all owners vote dictated that the school be closed and that a new security guard be employed / old one dismissed.

21 hours ago, kellersphuket said:

some sound advice right there!

how much are those amps btw?

Better still play recordings of ghosts, people moaning, chains rattling etc.  Thais are frightened of spirits and will think they are disturbing the dead.  I am dead serious (only half joking)!

22 hours ago, kellersphuket said:

without any regard for people living in the local vicinity?

Absolutely disgusting.

If their business is so good that they have 7 people working the whole day untill late at night , try to talk with them to buy yourself in . Must be a lot less anoying when you make money from it .

22 hours ago, stevenl said:

Op should be able to get the parking issues sorted, presuming they are parking illegally now.

But the business itself, no. They basically can do whatever they like.

No, incorrect . Business must have license and depending on what it is , could be more than 1.

a call to City hall or Amphoe to report unlicensed business will get some results but may also bite OP in the ass

Archived