2nd Immig House Check Visit

I applied last week for my 2nd yearly extension for an o visa supporting a thai wife and baby. I was surprised that all the original paperwork had to be resubmitted as was submitted the first year. So be it though, they make the hoops, i jump through them. However, today, just 4 days after submitting the application immigration guys dropped by the house again just like they did last year when i first applied. It's the same address, same wife, same baby, strange they would send people out again to check. They sent 4 of them as well, cost me 4 pepsi's. One guy took pic's, one guy filled the paperwork out and the other two played with our kid. Anyways i'm wondering if that is par for the course, will i go through the same hoops every year?

As well, though i qualify for being grandfathered in and i have always had more than the required 400K, they suggested i go and get an additional letter from the bank to show deposit dates to show the frequency with which i transfer money into the country. I trade the markets for a living and dribble money in bi-weekly to have such a record available to make the story water tight, still, i find it curious that though the rules say i dont need to show income they recommended that i do to help the decision process go more smoothly.

Interesting, I've always had to the bank leter, but in four years neve had a visit, what area do you live In? Or more accuratley which immigration office?

Samut Prakan. I noticed the office has a new person in charge this time around, so perhaps that's the reason. But she wanted every piece of paper immaginable which for a 2nd timer is strange. This is Thailand though, i expect strange.

The visit sounds like part of the general tightening up.

As for the money. You are supposed to live off the 400K, so it is reasonable

to have to show an inflow to top it up.

As for the money.

[[i]b]You are supposed to live off the 400K, so it is reasonable

[/b]

[/i]

are you sure about this as i have been led to believe it is not good to see withdraws on this account. :o

although it was for a Thai male supporting a foreign female, we had to have all our documents the second time around as well. They needed a months consideration as well. Just resigned to having to jump though the same hoops every year.

They didn't visit us however.

We're in BKK.

As for the money.

[[i]b]You are supposed to live off the 400K, so it is reasonable

[/b]

[/i]

are you sure about this as i have been led to believe it is not good to see withdraws on this account. :o

They have wanted the total to remain above 400k during the review process but the account is expected to be used to support your Thai wife, as the extension stated, so activity has always been expected.

I'm basically in the same boat as the OP and fronting up next week for my 3rd extension. The police visited us on my 1st application but not last year although we get one or two unannounced visits every year. As for the 400K, I did not touch it in the 1st year and was admonished so this year I spent most of it on land, in one hit, so it will be an interesting interview this time. I did top it up 3 months ago and not touched it since.

Edit: TW is now on the govt payroll as a deputy Puyai Baan so I'm hoping this may help a bit.

Edited by bdenner