Recent Linux Versions (mdk10, Fc2)

khunphil

Hi,

Just a question : I am leaving in Chiangmai, and I am wondering if Panthip Plaza have some of the newer CD versions of Linux as Mandrake10 and Fedora Core 2 already to sale.

As I am staying upcountry, please nobody asks me "Can't you download it ?" ;-)

Any hints or answers would be kind.

Thanks.

Best place for that one is Linuxquestions.org ---software threads

try a guy named unspawn on the above site.....the guys an uberlinux....

post a thread to the world or at least the experts who will direct you better for your needs on newbie open sourcewares.

Thanks, I know this website (linuxquestion) for a while, after 15 years working on Unix/Linux.

My question was more specific to Bangkok, and I was thinking that this forum was read by Bangkok people.. maybe I was wrong ...

Anyway, I will try to find "unspawn" , but if he is not in Bangkok, this will not be easy for him to answer my question. Maybe he is.

Thanks for your advice, anyway.

as Bkk resident I can tell you Mandrake 10 is in Pantip . Fedora???????????? what is it ???????????/ Whatever if you need to do professional work, you must use only slakware. Mandrake is good to play games at home, for those who will complain I will just remind you the fiasco of Mandrake 9 and Staroffice ...

Regards

Mandrake 10 is in Pantip . Fedora???????????? what is it ???????????

Fedora is the free download version of Red Hat, with no support, which is actually a little ahead of the official version of Red Hat (with support).

It came out a couple of weeks ago (and you don't really get office software that doesn't like Red Hat).

5 CDs - so the mere fact that it's available for free as ISO images to download means it's almost certainly at Pantip now... (but haven't checked yet).

I'm not sure about where to buy, or what distribution you're interested in but I've been itching for the chance to put in a plug for the new release of suse 9.1

see: http://www.suse.com/us/private/index.html

There is also, a very comprehensive review to be found here:

http://www.madpenguin.org/cms/html/47/1131.html

Anyway, I got my copy last week and have been ecstatic it the ease of use. I'm primarily a

Mac user now and find it to be as good to navigate intuitivelly as is the OS X environment. SuSe 9.1 is a fantastic product and the latest iteration since it is based on the 2.6 kernel.

hi'

mandrake 10.0 is on sale in computer plazza in Chiang Mai ... you may find also the Suse 9.0, but for a Fedora go to BKK as well as the Suse 9.1, they did not reach Chiang Mai yet.

or may be someone know a place where to get the Suse 9.1 ?

running Suse9.0, and update your kernell to a 2.6, you'll be close to the new release called 9.1 .. or not this far, you might want to update KDE too ... ot Gnome, just do it ...

an upgrade of version is so easy to do, it's nearly no fun ...

but upgrading by packages or version of kernell or GUI's ... THIS IS LINUX ! :D

Slackware is The reference of stability, I do agree with you sting01 :o

but for a daily use Suse is The One :D

Linus Thorwald use Suse :D

I'll come back to it soon ...

cheers

francois

Thanks A LOT to everyone,

Francois, I found Mandrake 10 at Computer Plaza this Sunday morning. Thanks. By the way, this one is not for me but for a friend. No sign of FC2 is Chiangmai yet. I confirm.

I am using actually RH9, working on it. It should be more easy to me to switch to FC2. That's what I think.

I never tried Slackware / Suse or one of the other ones. To speak true, I have no time to compare. I tried one (RH9) , it works good and I have no time to try another one, except stability or licencing problems. I used my computer for my business, and I would not like to try something else now. Maybe later ;-)

Thanks everyone for answering, and you can drop me a mail if you see FC2 in BKK.

Philippe

One release of Slackware were named PATATOES, and trust me it was really one. lol

Slack is the most stable because tested many times before a release (at the opposite of "commercial" products (mandrake 9 is a bad exemple ... and I am a user of Mandrake since the release 5.x don't remenber the exact number but it was early 98).

I dislike Suse, because they have not real respect for the user (maybe I must use past tense, but it was true last year), and I think it's against the idea of opensource, who must let me do what I need to do ... Let say I get the same feeling than with Window (that I use daily) . Automatic install, difficult to modify if I don't use a wizard, and what if I just need a consol without GUI (for exemple to set up a gateway/firewall with an old pentium????????????

M. Linux Thorwald is the person who initiate Linux, but as everybody he have the right to do mistake (introduce a web server in the kernel 2.4 was a big one in my opinion ... a monolitic kernel could considered as another one), and maybe he just use Suse because as Mandrake or Win, it's user friendly, no headhache for the config ... but I continue to think it's far of what the Open Source must be (and still continue to be with some big project as OpenOffice or Slackware, or FreeBsd ...)

just myy 2 cents worth.

Whatever Linux is not a competitor to Win, you will never get the same progs then with win (this is why I continue to use win) but Linux exist for 2 purpose mostly :

Give the customer a choice

Give the possibility to have a free solution to study Unix system (for student) and use in production for the small and medium size firm (as Mysql or PostgreSQL in the DB world).