Lowest Low Season?

Globe Trotter

I've been in and around Hua Hin for nearly a decade now, and last night I went into town for a meal with my partner. At around 9pm we walked back through Soi BintaBaht, and for a Saturday Evening it was absolutely dead. There were a few people here and there, but if I think back through the years, it is quite a contrast. I remember when there used to be a disco-tek on the corner, and so many people hustling and bustling around that area, even on week days. I also spoke with the restaurant manager who I vaguely know, and he was saying they are giving 30% discounts on the final bills to eating customers, simply to try and get more business. 

This had me thinking today that the Thai Baht is increasing in strength generally speaking, and things are becoming more and more expensive to purchase. Factor in that an average Thai earns 9-12k per month, I can see trouble ahead for the economy. Surely to live a semi decent lifestyle here, they must be taking out loans and all sorts? 

I've been in and around Hua Hin for nearly a decade now,

You obviously don't read ThaiVisa all that often?

There have been more threads than I can count along this same theme for the past 6-12 months.

5 hours ago, Globe Trotter said:

This had me thinking today that the Thai Baht is increasing in strength generally speaking, and things are becoming more and more expensive to purchase. Factor in that an average Thai earns 9-12k per month, I can see trouble ahead for the economy

huh?  why would a strong baht inside thailand effect purchasing power? if anything imported products should be cheaper ,the strong baht effects exports so in what way are things more expensive?

You qouted the MINUIMUM wage and most certainly not the averag wage of thais. Since things are most definatly not more expensive (due to the baht) then quoting wages is irelevent 

• 4 weeks later...

It's not just in Hua Hin. Most of Thailand seems to have suffered from a demographic shift in the tourism industry over recent years.

Unfortunately, past advantageous propaganda has left many investors in the mire. Leaving them to carry the can with an unforeseen need to change their agent/advertising strategy, in order to realize their investment.

Archived