Register Motorbike In Phuket for Foreigner

haymanpl

I would like to register my new motorbike in my own name rather than my Thai partners.

Phuket town immigration are requesting 600 baht. 

Does anyone know the correct process as i thought it was done at the Department of Transportation and was supposed to be a free service.

I find this a bit discriminatory as Thais don't pay this extra registration fee.

• Like 1

You need a residence letter from immigration or your embassy to the DLT. 

If you have a work permit or yellow house book, you can use that instead. 

There is no fee listed at immigration but most immigration offices wants a fee or let you wait two months.

Some will refuse and tell you to contact your embassy. 

Never heard that the registration transfer at DLT is free, I have always paid for the transfer. 

Please report if you get it for free at DLT. 

57 minutes ago, haymanpl said:

I find this a bit discriminatory as Thais don't pay this extra registration fee.

As said if you have a yellow house book it works. 

Thais have a blue house book. 

Nothing discriminatory. 

34 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

As said if you have a yellow house book it works. 

Thais have a blue house book. 

Nothing discriminatory. 

How do i get a Yellow House book if i'm renting on a retirement visa?

I find it odd that i have to pay to transfer registration on a brand new motorbike???

I think the problem here is that the shop was supposed to do this for me so i need to take the paperwork back to them so they can complete the transfer.

Edited by haymanpl

So you can't get a yellow house book, then you need a residence certificate, still not discrimination as Thais must produce a house book. 

The shop pays the registration fee, you need to bring them a residence certificate. 

Certificate of residence at Phuket immigration main office is 300 baht each, well, was in Feb and May this year when I got them ...maybe gone up now....!

DLT transfer also cost a bit, depends on cc capacity of bike too...but not much, maybe 200 bahts for a small scooter...

Sorry, but if you are complaining about a few hundred baht maybe should swap your new motorbike for a bicycle...no registration or gas or licence or tax needed... ! lol 

Edited by Agusts