New Passport...TM30 CATCH 22

So I have a new passport and the old passport contains my old non O visa stamp and reentry extension and multiple renentry stamps permitting stay until some time in 2020.

The old stamps need to be transferred at Chaengwattana, which you would think would be simple.

But this is Thailand. The existing TM30 is for the old passport and a new passport cant be used to register an address until it has been stamped. But until a new TM30 is issued the stamps cant be transferred. Catch 22.

Will it be legal to stay until the stay by date in the old passport without getting the stamps transferred and just showing the old and new passports when leaving? I dont care if the old multiple reentry stamps and non O visa become nullified, I have made other plans and do not anticipate more than occassional and short visits in future.

At this point I dont think I am willing to take any more immigration nonsense but hadnt anticipated this problem when getting my new passport. I am now pretty much done with Thailand but need to know if it will be safe to exit without transferring stamps?

Any guesses?

Not seeing any issues here...

You can transfer the stamps to the new passport, with an "old" TM30. I did this a few weeks ago. No issues.

And you should be able to leave without having to transfer the stamps. Just present both passports on departure.

Seems straightforward, but maybe I'm missing something?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, uncleeagle said:

But this is Thailand. The existing TM30 is for the old passport and a new passport cant be used to register an address until it has been stamped. But until a new TM30 is issued the stamps cant be transferred. Catch 22.

So are you saying no one can get a new passport and transfer the stamps or is this problem unique to you? It seems you're making the process overly difficult. Hand over both passports as you leave. They won't try to keep you from leaving.

What's a re-entry extension?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Just did a transfer to new passport,nothing mentioned about TM30, 

I'm inferring that you have a valid TM30 on file? That's what you mean by "I have one."?

My guess, based on a transfer of stamps to a new passport recently at Div 1/CW, is that they do check to see if a valid TM30 is on file.

But that's just a guess. If your TM30 status is valid then stamp.stamp.stamp.... If no TM30 on file, you're shuffled off the the TM30 (B) desks for filing, fine payment, receipt.

The IO pops in your passport (old) and up pops your record on the screen, where they can now see the TM30 status.

1 minute ago, mtls2005 said:

I'm inferring that you have a valid TM30 on file? That's what you mean by "I have one."?

My guess, based on a transfer of stamps to a new passport recently at Div 1/CW, is that they do check to see if a valid TM30 is on file.

But that's just a guess. If your TM30 status is valid then stamp.stamp.stamp.... If no TM30 on file, you're shuffled off the the TM30 (B) desks for filing, fine payment, receipt.

The IO pops in your passport (old) and up pops your record on the screen, where they can now see the TM30 status.

Yes I have TM 30 on file,what the OP is saying he has also got a TM 30 but

they need a new one for his new passport,which did not happen to me,

one thing about Thai Immigration is that it is not consistent,different rates

for fines,different rules, each office makes its own rules,which is why there

is so much confusion.

regards Worgeordie

• Thanks 1

Usually they do not transfert VISA ( The big sticker that use a full page )  issued in an Embassy by  the Foreign Affair Department. In that case you carry both passport.

Immigration transfert only extension of stay  issued by Immigration.

1 hour ago, cnx355 said:

Usually they do not transfert VISA ( The big sticker that use a full page )  issued in an Embassy by  the Foreign Affair Department. In that case you carry both passport.

Immigration transfert only extension of stay  issued by Immigration.

Probably semantics, what do we call what, but in my case ~ 12 days ago at Div. 1/CW...so reference(s) to the original visa, and the current extension of stay...was told to use multiple re-entry permit in old passport but some people say this can be "moved" as well. I'll stipulate that they did not steam off my old Non-Imm B visa and re-attach it in my new passport.

Visited Immigration (Div. 1/CW) Friday, Aug. 16, 2019 to “Transfer Stamp”. Arrived ~ 09:30, number 71 in L section, serving no. 21 at the time. (No mention of TM30, but I am filed now for the first time, online system, my most recent re-entry.) Started with first level IO at 11:40, finished at 11:55 (many interruptions with other agent-accompanied customers just waltzing in to the cubicle area), came back after lunch break, received passport within 30 seconds.

New stamps take up two full pages with the first one making reference to my old PP #, issue date, most recent visa type (Non-B/2013), an old entry stamp, the last used on the Non-B in 2014, and the current entry stamp date (July 5, 2019), and a stamp from today. The second page has my current Ext of Stay, recreated, and a stamp from today.

22 hours ago, uncleeagle said:

hi uncle!

is this an assumption or something somebody told you, or did you yourself go to CW to transfer the stamps and were refused?

This is just a guess.....

I've only had one physical TM30 receipt -- the one for my permanent residence with wife landlord -- and the one attached to my passport. But every time I've left the country and returned, I've updated that receipt (not filed a new TM30) with another red stamp -- dated the same as latest TM6 entry. Their procedure is to take my passport and new TM6, go into the TM30 data base, and change out the TM6 number. Thus I can only assume that one could take their new passport to the TM30 desk and have them swap out the old passport number for the new in the TM30 data base.

Makes sense, right? Thus, it probably can't be done.

36 minutes ago, hugh2121 said:

I am awaiting a new passport. I've just checked my TM30 Receipt of Notification. There is no passport number on it, so why should a new TM30 application be required?

Page 2 has your passport number and TM6 number. These are in the data base. Receipt doesn't contain this info.

1 hour ago, hugh2121 said:

I am awaiting a new passport. I've just checked my TM30 Receipt of Notification. There is no passport number on it, so why should a new TM30 application be required?

Most of us are saying that it isn't.

Afterall, the TM30 is used to report a foreigner's residence. It is not used to report a new passport.

I transferred stamps to a new passport, and was not asked/informed/required to file a new TM30.

34 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Page 2 has your passport number and TM6 number. These are in the data base. Receipt doesn't contain this info.

Yes, we all agree that a passport number is required when filing a TM30, in person, by mail, on line and via the mobile app.