Marriage Visa

Hi folks

I guess this has been answered before but I can't find anything about it in search.

I'm two weeks into a Non-Imm "O" visa and intend to apply for a 1 year marriage visa. Can I apply now or do I have to wait till the end of my current visa in August when the money in the bank requirement will have gone up.

Also is there any tax implications about staying in Thailand for a year. I don't earn in Thailand, my money is sent in from abroad.

Thanks for your help

Wildrover,

Age 44, British passport - for the benifit of the posting requirements at the start of the forum

For the Tax, read here:

- http://www.rd.go.th/publish/6000.0.html

Taxpayers are classified into "resident" and "non-resident". "Resident" means any person residing in Thailand for a period or periods aggregating more than 180 days in any tax (calendar) year. A resident of Thailand is liable to pay tax on income from sources in Thailand on a cash basis, regardless where the money is paid, as well as on the portion of income from foreign sources that is brought into Thailand. A non-resident is, however, subject to tax only on income from sources in Thailand.

So, Yes, I guess you are expected to pay tax ...

But not sure how the Tax Treaties, for your country, will come in the picture ...

http://www.rd.go.th/publish/15099.0.html

Does anyone actually bother to know what the law says ... ? :-)

Application for extension of stay on the basis of support for Thai wife are accepted during the last 30 days (or 15 days at times) of current stay so you will have to meet the new requirements (which may be the case for everyone if some sources are correct). Be sure the money transfer shows funds come from overseas for this.

If you are living on savings earned in a previous year there will be no tax due in Thailand under current policy per accountant sources. Bring the money in with wire transfers to prove source is outside country.

Also is there any tax implications about staying in Thailand for a year. I don't earn in Thailand, my money is sent in from abroad.

It depends on where the money comes from.

If it is investment income and you can show that you have already paid tax in the UK (or any country that has a double taxation agreement with Thailand) then you are not liable.

If the money comes from a tax haven, then you may be liable,

if the Thai Tax Authorities notice you,

which they probably will not.

Edited by astral