UK Passport Renewal Trendy Visit Procedure

I am going to the Trendy building on Thursday for a simple UK passport renewal.

I have filled in the forms and checked everything a dozen times.

However, I was wondering, if they don't like something about my application, maybe the pictures are the wrong size (I have measured them and they seem OK!), would they let me go and get new photos and come back later or would I be sent away to arrange another appointment on another day?

Thanks for your help

I have used their service, the embassy offloaded their work to the guys at Trendy who did not seem too bothered. Friendly and helpful. They posted my old passport back to the UK and I had to return to Trendy to collect the new one at an appointed time.

I asked for the old passport to be returned so I could show both to Immigration and get the visa transferred to the new passport.

As a precaution, photo copy old passport main page and visa page in case you don't get it back.

Thanks DaRoadRunner for the reply. I used their services 10 years ago, but the system has changed since then. Did you make any errors that needed correcting??

I think my concern is about my pictures. The first ones I had done at at my local Kodak shop, looked like they had been Photoshopped, as my wrinkles were missing.

The  photos, from another Kodak studio, have my face size just over the limit specified (34 mm).

Maybe I am worrying too much, it would be good if I could take new photos if necessary though.

I recently did passports and they are very nice and helpful. I hadn't colour copied a few pages (like pages you can't even use) but she waited for me to go and get more copies. She also spoke great English and was nice and helpful and I feel like I just wanna go back!

If you have checked everything and tried your best I feel that they will do the same for you.

1 hour ago, dsfbrit said:

Thanks DaRoadRunner for the reply. I used their services 10 years ago, but the system has changed since then. Did you make any errors that needed correcting??

I think my concern is about my pictures. The first ones I had done at at my local Kodak shop, looked like they had been Photoshopped, as my wrinkles were missing.

The  photos, from another Kodak studio, have my face size just over the limit specified (34 mm).

Maybe I am worrying too much, it would be good if I could take new photos if necessary though.

They did measure my photos so check your dimensions.

"Did you make any errors that needed correcting??"... Yeah, the day I set my big foot in this Asian version of the Mad Hatters Tea Party.

DaRoadRunner, I just don't remember there being such a precise size 'thing' when I renewed 10 years ago. I had the thought I would travel all the way from Pattaya and be sent be away again if the photos were wrong. That is obviously not the case.

Can anyone say what they will accept as "Evidence of name and address and/or residency" as specified in "Table A" of "Applying for a passport from outside the UK - Supporting Documents":

Name and address and/or residency evidence
Please provide one of the following:
• visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy)
• tax record eg a letter from a tax authority
• educational record eg school report
• employment record eg official letter from your employer
• letter sent to you from a central, regional or local government department
• medical/health card
• voter’s card
• immigration documents.

I have none of the first 7 items. So what do they mean by "immigration documents"?

- the TM30  slip in my passport or

- an "Address Certificate"?

Has anyone provided either of these, successfully?

9 hours ago, Frederick Allen said:

Yes I think it will be not a problem, those girls there are REALLY helpful, they will give you time to prepare everything and will not arrange another appointment... 

They may be helpful when you are standing in front of them, but they are not helpful if you send them an email.

VFS Global merely refer you to web sites (e.g. www.gov.uk) and documents (PDFs) no matter how simple and clear you ask them about an issue, such as "Name and Address and/or Residency evidence" which is a requirement for renewing a passport.

On 8/27/2019 at 8:57 PM, dsfbrit said:

Might not background colours complying with HMPO's over-fussy (IMHO) requirements be a particularly significant issue when it came to photoshopping (which, of course, would be in violation of their "no software altering" rule)? Certainly I have never seen any evidence of physical background drapes in either of the prescribed colours in the Kodak shop from which I obtain my annual extension of stay photos.

On 8/27/2019 at 2:35 PM, DaRoadrunner said:

I have used their service, the embassy offloaded their work to the guys at Trendy who did not seem too bothered. Friendly and helpful. They posted my old passport back to the UK and I had to return to Trendy to collect the new one at an appointed time.

I asked for the old passport to be returned so I could show both to Immigration and get the visa transferred to the new passport.

As a precaution, photo copy old passport main page and visa page in case you don't get it back.

'They posted my old passport back to the UK'

Is that correct? Thought that they allowed applicants to keep their old passport, due to local Thai requirements. That being the reason for wanting all pages to be copied.

Has that changed?  

30 minutes ago, dabhand said:

'They posted my old passport back to the UK'

Is that correct? Thought that they allowed applicants to keep their old passport, due to local Thai requirements. That being the reason for wanting all pages to be copied.

Has that changed?  

You are correct.

That is why EVERY page of the expiring passport is photocopied and submitted, original passport handed back. It is then used as ID on collection of the new passport.

On 8/27/2019 at 8:35 PM, DaRoadrunner said:

Wrong on several counts.

They don't retain the passport or send it anywhere.

They did not take work off the embassy, the embassy didn't process the passports previously. Prior to VfS Global becoming the appointed agents of HMPO, renewal passports were sent to. and dispatched from, Hong Kong.

On 8/27/2019 at 7:46 PM, dsfbrit said:

I am going to the Trendy building on Thursday for a simple UK passport renewal.

I have filled in the forms and checked everything a dozen times.

However, I was wondering, if they don't like something about my application, maybe the pictures are the wrong size (I have measured them and they seem OK!)

Why would you think that something could go wrong if you've done it all by the book?  You won't have to make any changes.

Edit: Ok, just seen that you were going there on Thursday last, obviously you didn't have a problem.

19 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Prior to VfS Global becoming the appointed agents of HMPO, renewal passports were sent to. and dispatched from, Hong Kong.

When I last renewed in 2013, I posted the requisite application docs to Hong Kong, but received the new passport by courier direct from the UK.

In those days, of course, we were entrusted with performing the onerous task of wielding a pair of scissors to cancel the old passport by snipping off the top and bottom front cover corners ourselves. Alas, that is no longer the case.☹️ 

48 minutes ago, OJAS said:

When I last renewed in 2013, I posted the requisite application docs to Hong Kong, but received the new passport by courier direct from the UK.

In those days, of course, we were entrusted with performing the onerous task of wielding a pair of scissors to cancel the old passport by snipping off the top and bottom front cover corners ourselves. Alas, that is no longer the case.☹️ 

Apologies OJAS, they were, of course, sent out from the UK............................ and in those 'good old days' we were also entrusted to receive the new passport direct to home via DHL.

Archived