Motion detect on security camera

Andrew Dwyer

I’ve bought a security camera and the option to save the snapshot( when motion detected) to an sd card works okay , but is not ideal as the sd card is located in the back of camera 3 metres off the floor !!

Soo, I want to use the email option to receive the snapshot but am having issues getting it sorted.

Here’s the email setting page:

IMG_2631.JPG

The SMTP : I got from my laptop via command prompt . Is it okay ??

Port 25 : comes up as default

Username and password : am not sure if that’s the camera user/pass or my email ‘s have tried both.

Send to and sender : is my email address ( have done this before so should be ok ?

Subject : title of email, Security snapshot

Have tried various times,

Apply just saves the info.

Test: get Test Failed every time.

The camera is connected to wi-fi and can monitor from my phone ( take photos and video no problem ) only the email is an issue.

Any ideas ??

What am I doing wrong ??

Google may be considering your camera as an insecure device and blocking access to gmail.

In your Google Account under security you can turn on a function to allow "less secure devices"

capture-20190828-112619.jpg.a4ffb0a2be8785893cf7182a6db039aa.jpg

Username and password should be your normal Google sign in. Try using just 'smtp.gmail.com' for the server and 465 as the port number.

To communicate with Google mail server from a device you must have dual level security enabled on the google account. This will then allow creation of secondary application login for the security device.

Google "NVR to Gmail" and learn how to use a Gmail account with security camera system.

I have system alarm data sent to my G-mail account via a secondary application password and ID setup separately in the G-mail account.

Google may be considering your camera as an insecure device and blocking access to gmail.

In your Google Account under security you can turn on a function to allow "less secure devices"
capture-20190828-112619.jpg.a4ffb0a2be8785893cf7182a6db039aa.jpg

Username and password should be your normal Google sign in. Try using just 'smtp.gmail.com' for the server and 465 as the port number.

Thanks Akron but it didn’t solve my problem.

To communicate with Google mail server from a device you must have dual level security enabled on the google account. This will then allow creation of secondary application login for the security device.

Google "NVR to Gmail" and learn how to use a Gmail account with security camera system.

I have system alarm data sent to my G-mail account via a secondary application password and ID setup separately in the G-mail account.

Thanks Max , I didn’t understand completely.

Did you enable two step verification and open a new email address and password ??

The email address from the camera can be independent from your email address.

I.e. you setup a email address for your camera on yahoo and call it [email protected]

And your email address is [email protected]

1. SMTP server from [email protected]

2. Port from 1

3. Encryption from 1, if any

4. Authentication from 1, most of the time this is on

5. login name from 1, likely [email protected]

6. Password from 1 (the email account, not the camera!)

7. Your email address where you want to receive the pictures like [email protected]

8. The sender name or email address, not sure, [email protected] or "My Camera Name"

9. Subject of the message which the camera will send to you.

10. Message, similar to 9

IMG_2631.thumb.JPG.85a98b93f2aceab14c01215469aadca6.jpg.c035167ee41987030226438529601231.jpg

The email address from the camera can be independent from your email address.
I.e. you setup a email address for your camera on yahoo and call it [email protected]
And your email address is [email protected]
1. SMTP server from [email protected]
2. Port from 1
3. Encryption from 1, if any
4. Authentication from 1, most of the time this is on
5. login name from 1, likely [email protected]
6. Password from 1 (the email account, not the camera!)
7. Your email address where you want to receive the pictures like [email protected]
8. The sender name or email address, not sure, [email protected] or "My Camera Name"
9. Subject of the message which the camera will send to you.
10. Message, similar to 9

IMG_2631.thumb.JPG.85a98b93f2aceab14c01215469aadca6.jpg.c035167ee41987030226438529601231.jpg

Thanks OMF

I have it sorted now, was a bit of a struggle but finally got there.

SMTP Server : smtp.gmail.com
Port : 587
Encrypt : STARTTLS
User : my email address
Pass : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ( see below )
Send to : a new email address
Sender : my email address

Sooo, turned on “ less secure app access “
Enabled two step verification.
Created a new gmail address and password.

Now I get my regular emails on the Mail app on my iPhone and put my new gmail address on the Gmail app ( to receive the motion detect photos ),
to avoid confusion by mixing the two addresses.

Buuut !!
The reason I eventually got it to work is I created a 3rd party app password ( 16 digits as above ) and used this from the camera . So it’s using my regular email address but a new password only for the camera !!
Been at this for about 3 hours !! [emoji28]

Testing it out [emoji51]

IMG_2639.JPG

Archived