Pound drops as fears of no-deal Brexit grow

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is the Torygraph seeing BoJo as a busted flush .....

Corbyn better than no-deal Brexit, say investment banks as anti-capitalist Labour wins unlikely new City fans
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2019/09/03/corbyn-better-no-deal-brexit-say-investment-banks-anti-capitalist/
One step at a time. The first objective is to break the no-deal drive over the cliff on Oct 31.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

laid back, with my mind on my money and my money on my mind

smug3.png

You shorted the UK bet against us and now these bets have just blown up. Nasty piece of work hiding behind a supercilious toff 'charm'. A clever Enoch who knows to clear steer of racism. Whilst readily accepting the racist vote with his dog whistles and opportunism. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2019 at 6:15 PM, vogie said:

Sterling would have risen a long time ago if the remainers had backed the countrys decision to leave the EU, always somebody elses fault.

Sterling now recovering on the back of markets seeing chances of no-deal Brexit receding.

12 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Sterling now recovering on the back of markets seeing chances of no-deal Brexit receding.

I'm very happy to hear that, but how does that negate my point that if remainers had not stymied us leaving the EU that sterling wouldn't have risen anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm very happy to hear that, but how does that negate my point that if remainers had not stymied us leaving the EU that sterling wouldn't have risen anyway.
As far as FX markets are concerned, no-deal is bad news for Sterling, but you are welcome to take the other side of that trade.

Sterling in retreat again, but now a slightly new twist emphasis. Suggested that markets are looking towards a more longer term dysfunctionality in UK politics, whatever happens in the immediate future and this does not bode well for Sterling. In particular not a positive message for UK expats planning ahead, at least those particularly reliant on sterling incomes.

At least you are now taking on board that no-deal is an option now.
No-deal has always been an option. What I have always argued is that it is not the only option and never has been. However, keeping to the thread, risk of no-deal has an impact on Sterling. But now continued political dysfunction is now seen to negatively impact on future Sterling movement.

You shorted the UK bet against us and now these bets have just blown up. Nasty piece of work hiding behind a supercilious toff 'charm'. A clever Enoch who knows to clear steer of racism. Whilst readily accepting the racist vote with his dog whistles and opportunism. 
Those of us who have done so or are thinking of moving assets out of Sterling are, in effect, shorting Sterling. Prudent and requiring a longer perspective than maybe previously addressed.

Those of us who have done so or are thinking of moving assets out of Sterling are, in effect, shorting Sterling. Prudent and requiring a longer perspective than maybe previously addressed.

What’s up ‘ker? Is this what all the constant wailing over the exchange rate is about? Can’t get enough pounds out of the post office account to pay for your retirement visa?
So 66 million UK citizens should have to Remain shackled to the EU, all for your selfish exchange rate shortfalls?

7 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Sterling in retreat again, but now a slightly new twist emphasis. Suggested that markets are looking towards a more longer term dysfunctionality in UK politics, whatever happens in the immediate future and this does not bode well for Sterling. In particular not a positive message for UK expats planning ahead, at least those particularly reliant on sterling incomes.

You're beginning to sound just like my neighbour in Hua Hin - he's convinced the lottery numbers are somehow directly linked to the odometer on his brothers car. In terms of accuracy in your analysis I say you're about as spot on as he is.

You're beginning to sound just like my neighbour in Hua Hin - he's convinced the lottery numbers are somehow directly linked to the odometer on his brothers car. In terms of accuracy in your analysis I say you're about as spot on as he is.
Its an exciting life in Hua Hin.

Unfortunately markets are now looking past the immediate deadlines and shrugging towards never-ending back and forth. Not good for Sterling achieving a stable bounce. So the longer term risk is to the downside. GBPTHB down below 38 again.

12 hours ago, Forethat said:

It's magical thinking when someone believes that odometer numbers have an effect on the lottery.

It's also magical thinking when someone thinks that the prospects for brexit don't effect the value of the pound.

Maybe you think it's your brother's-in-law odometer that's the cause of its ups and downs?

1 minute ago, bristolboy said:

It's magical thinking when someone believes that odometer numbers have an effect on the lottery.

It's also magical thinking when someone thinks that the prospects for brexit don't effect the value of the pound.

I'd say the magical thinking is being done when one believes that the prospects for Brexit only affect the value of the pound in one direction. If that was the case and the pound drops each time Brexit comes closer, the pound would strengthen as soon a Brexit seems unlikely. But it doesn't. It appears, there are other factors. Which was my point...

6 minutes ago, Forethat said:

I'd say the magical thinking is being done when one believes that the prospects for Brexit only affect the value of the pound in one direction. If that was the case and the pound drops each time Brexit comes closer, the pound would strengthen as soon a Brexit seems unlikely. But it doesn't. It appears, there are other factors. Which was my point...

Who says the prospects for brexit only affect the pound in one direction? When Brexit appears more likely, the pound drops. When it appears less likely it rises. It may fluctuate somewhat, but there is nothing since the Brexit referendum that has had an effect on the value of the pound like the Brexit issue. Nothing even comes close. Likening a connection between brexit and the value of pound to a superstitious belief is ludicrous.

2 minutes ago, Forethat said:

No I didn't. You need to up your reading comprehension. Again. Here's what I wrote in reply to your post (that believing that Brexit only affected the pound in one direction would be the magical thinking you accuse others of):

I'd say the magical thinking is being done when one believes that the prospects for Brexit only affect the value of the pound in one direction.

Do you want me to help you find a reading comprehension training course or something?

Screenshot 2019-09-27 at 07.09.21.png

And who believes that the prospect for brexit only affect the pound in one direction? Certainly not opponents of brexit.

37 minutes ago, Forethat said:

You might want to read the posts before you comment, but I'll help you out:

Maybe you should reacquaint yourself with the meaning of "prospect"

"the possibility or likelihood of some future event occurring."

In other words. "prospect" is neutral. The possibility can be high or low. High prospect: pound declines. Low prospect: pound rises.

1 hour ago, bristolboy said:

Maybe you should reacquaint yourself with the meaning of "prospect"

"the possibility or likelihood of some future event occurring."

In other words. "prospect" is neutral. The possibility can be high or low. High prospect: pound declines. Low prospect: pound rises.

Maybe you should reacquaint yourself with the meaning of "GBPTHB down below 38 again."

12 minutes ago, Forethat said:

Maybe you should reacquaint yourself with the meaning of "GBPTHB down below 38 again."

The Pound Shows Nerves after Johnson Won't Commit to Asking for Brexit Extension

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/gbp-live-today/12107-pound-sterling-shows-nerves-after-johnson-won-t-commit-to-asking-for-brexit-extension-suffers-losses-vs-dollar-and-euro

• 2 weeks later...

Archived