D-Day! September heralds the start of less carnage on the Thai roads

webfact

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no evidence to suggest that checkpoints have any benefits at all, they do however increase opportunities for corruption, disruption of traffic and concomitant accidents and educate drivers on how to avoid them and "get away with it".

yet again the Thai authorities show that they are not up to speed on the science of road safety.

On 8/30/2019 at 3:13 PM, phantomfiddler said:

Thai authorities appear to be in total denial when it comes to the road carnage. The problem is the level of skill and mentality of Thai drivers, and this is NOT going to be altered by checkpoints ????

The skill is secondary. The mentality is what counts, and not just the drivers.

ALL Thai people must finally tire of killing and seeing their friends and family killed on the roads.

That will take generations of awareness and cultural change.

4 hours ago, RocketDog said:

The skill is secondary. The mentality is what counts, and not just the drivers.

ALL Thai people must finally tire of killing and seeing their friends and family killed on the roads.

That will take generations of awareness and cultural change.

Both wrong

3 hours ago, petermach said:

Very simple , reasons are : alcool , drugs , speed , mobile phone , trafficked motorbikes , driving incompetence and last but not least , Lack of control and Punishment

This totally simplistic, naive approach is just about the same as successive Thai authorities and this is why no progress has been made on road safety for over 3 decades

On 8/30/2019 at 9:59 AM, webfact said:

Checking Points will be set up 24 hours a day 365 days a year - no holidays. 

Thai police don't work weekends;after dark; after 4 pm; Holy days.  They do 'work' at holiday time for massive overtime payments and the chance to play with their phones all day.

On 8/30/2019 at 12:26 PM, stubuzz said:

I was traveling during the last crackdown at new year. All vans were examined at bus stations. This involved the driver handing a stack of papers to a man at a desk who stamped them. I did make me feel a lot safer, though.

Time sheets not anything to do with driver or vehicle safety. 

1 hour ago, Grumpy John said:

Time sheets not anything to do with driver or vehicle safety. 

Drivers of commercial and public transport should all be compelled to use tachographs. This of course requires the accompanying infrastructure of testing, checks and admin...... so at present beyond the ken of the Thai authorities

Funny how the approach is to focus on upping “enforcement,” when the real problem is simply a lack of rules that people are expected to follow.  Compared to Cambodia, I would say 90% of Thai drivers respect the uncodified norms.  These norms simply don’t preclude driving wherever one pleases, at whatever speed they can. 

Actually getting unsafe private/personal vehicles off the road would be another start, but that will make the people rise up against oppression.

5 hours ago, tjo o tjim said:

Funny how the approach is to focus on upping “enforcement,” when the real problem is simply a lack of rules that people are expected to follow.  Compared to Cambodia, I would say 90% of Thai drivers respect the uncodified norms.  These norms simply don’t preclude driving wherever one pleases, at whatever speed they can. 

Actually getting unsafe private/personal vehicles off the road would be another start, but that will make the people rise up against oppression.

As most accident occur as a resultt of "normal" human error - only a tiny percent is from vehicle failure and almost 80% of deaths are vulnerable road users e.g. motorcyclists and pedestrians, it is unlikely your idea would have a noticeable effect.

On 8/30/2019 at 6:31 PM, essox essox said:

no need to use indicator I never do...

it bugs me that when wanting to enter a road....where one can only turn left....why INDICATE as that is the only way one can drive so it is obvious one is going to turn left!!!!

Not in Thailand!!

I frequently see drivers turning the wrong way out of a junction to drive down the wrong side of the road / in the wrong direction.

Also I commend anybody who uses their indicators - full stop.... A rare event on Thai roads, even if strictly speaking unnecessary.

On 8/30/2019 at 6:31 PM, essox essox said:

no need to use indicator I never do...

it bugs me that when wanting to enter a road....where one can only turn left....why INDICATE as that is the only way one can drive so it is obvious one is going to turn left!!!!

Indicators are to INDICATE your intentions to other vehicles.

They should be used before changing lanes, turning off a road or entering another. 

They don't need to be used when going round a sharp bend or following a marked traffic lane.

in Thailand te trainers tell drivers not to indicate until they are turning or actually at the turn.

many farang drivers will say they don't need to indicate when there ae  no other vehicles there - this is incredibly stupid as the point of indicating is to warn other drivers of your intentions - the most common comment after a collision is "I just didn't see him".

Archived