D-Day! September heralds the start of less carnage on the Thai roads

webfact

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once the Thais find out the hours the police are working 9 to 5pm maybe?

If that is the case they will fill their cars up at night. Loads of day time staff will lose their jobs

They need speed traps and patrol cars and bikes not frigging check points people will avoid like the plague.

I think a major contributor to accidents is the useless road designs  / layouts. When driving in the UK, everything is standardized... the radius of bends, the layout of filter lanes for turning right, the radius at junctions etc... In Thailand there are often no filter lanes, leading to traffic suddenly grinding to a halt as someone ahead wants to turn right. 

The there is the classic "U Turns" on the dual carriageways. Where else in the World would you design a road to force drivers to turn across 2 lanes of high speed traffic ???  

So many people on here complain she nothing is done to stop the carnage. As soon as the police decide to take some action, there’s a mass of further complaints. 

‘We have to accept there are so terrible drivers and some very dangerous ones in Thailand. If this new system can remove the drunks and unfit drivers then it’s a good start. Personally, I think impounding cars would be a better system than fines. 

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

It is true. The entire police department nationwide has been reformed. The local franchisees are no longer concerned about their revenue stream, since their salaries have been doubled, and they no longer have to pay for equipment and supplies out of pocket. So now they will devote themselves heart and soul, to the safety, and well being of the people.

The highway patrol has added 16,000 new vehicles, at a cost of 18 billion baht, and will now be patrolling the nation's highways, and pulling people over for reckless driving, pulling over trucks who hog the fast lane, at 50kph, arresting people for driving 160kph, and swerving in between one car and another at a dangerously close distance, and will begin arresting people for endangering other lives.

It is the dawning of a new age in Thailand! Hooray to the army who are finally doing something that benefits the nation. Prayut has finally woken up to the dangers drivers face on the road. 

Fake news

Everyone knows that these police checks are nothing more than piggy-bank stops.  There'll be no improvement in the way people drive between checks.  Still, as long as your paperwork is in order then you are free to drive like a maniac to the next 'check'.

Get the traffic police off their a*ses and do some mobile policing as they do in pretty much the rest of the civilized world.

N.B. Colour blindness does not make you unfit to drive!!

6 hours ago, taichiplanet said:

i guess there will be so many checkpoints for 'fines' that you won't get a chance to go fast enough to crash

When the goal is to turn "crash" machines into "cash" machines then queuing most likely will be a consequence ... :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Teacherduck said:

But you can't confiscate their license if they are drunk anyway, give them a ticket and let them drive on. I hope they check for unroadworthy cars and trucks as well, like no lights.

Indeed.  

So a public transport driver fails a breath test at a service station.  He gets given two points on his license and is then allowed to get back in his bus and continue driving his paying passengers to their destination as normal.

Thailand !  Don't you just love it ?

and I suppose all the govt officials and police officers that drive drunk will not be tested, just let to continue their trips. I have 2 friends here who are police, and even when they are on duty, they still come to parties and consume considerably large amounts of alcohol, get too drunk to drive, BUT still drive their marked police vehicles anyway. They set such a good example for everyone else, NOT. If the cops can't obey the law how on earth can they be expected to actually enforce it?

I have just become the minister of transport and it is my intention to lower the amount of people killed on the Thai roads each year. So the first order is that from the 1st of September in the year of God knows when all Thais must stop using the roads until they have had proper driver training and education and then they must pass a proper driving test for their licence. This includes all types of vehicles including the government issued police vehicles which will be manned by professionally trained police officers who will perform their duty properly without putting their hand out for brown envelopes because they will be supplied with all their equipement and uniforms free of charge and they will be paid a reasonable wage.

I'm sorry but I cannot continue with this charade because I am wetting my pants with laughter if anyone thinks this is true and will work.

2 hours ago, outsider said:

Next September. You have a lot of confidence mate... LOL

Snide remarks aside, let's see where this goes. Not really going to hold my breath, but I do hope something good comes out of this, and that it's not another flash-in-the-pan limp-<deleted> scheme after all the razzmatazz has died down.

If you look at the approximately 62 month history of this regime, you will notice there is one glaring consistency. Declarations and proclamations are made, and they typically last more than two weeks. Very rarely longer. Same with crackdowns. Two weeks.

If there is one thing this administration is good at, it is avoiding any follow up, and not fulfilling it's promises. 

I stopped reading at the throwing a dart figure of 150 000 drivers will have there eyes tested, Are the boys in brown going to be carrying emergency spectacles for the drivers who fail the test can then drive home safely and then go to the opticians buy new glasses  and then return the emergency spectacles to the boys in brown ?.  More road law nonsense please keep it coming 

5 hours ago, sn1per said:

Bangkok to samui..760km so eight checkpoints at 10 minutes per checkpoint, as soon as the driver leaves the checkpoint he is gonna drive even faster (if thats possible) to make up the hour and 20 minutes that he has spent having his eyes tested and being breathalysed while his passengers are in the toilet. Maybe they should just concentrate on speeding , lane swapping, hard shoulder driving, tailgating and overtaking on the inside type of offences as they happen.... 

Nah! That would mean doing more than just standing there waiting for buses and vans to show up.

By the way, I thought drivers were tested for 'color recognition, reaction times and long and short vision' when they obtain their license. Oh, wait....... 

They have just started a night time checkpoint near my house, my wifes friends 2 women were drinking at my house the other night, i asked were they not worried about getting stopped at the check point for drink driving, they said no problem they only stop male drivers and wave the women through lol!

Archived