Seatbelts In Bangkok Taxis

Fraktalkid

I've been wondering this for a while - does anyone know why Bangkok taxis don't have seatbelts? It seems unusual to me that they've physically been taken out.. For that matter, I can't seem to find out why Thais dislike them so much, except that my Thai friends say 'Thai people hate following laws!' But seatbelts in particular for some reason.. They think I'm odd when I belt up in their car.

This taxi seatbelt thing seems to be particular to Bangkok, where really they could do with them (I've had several white knuckle rides where I've had to ask the taxi driver 'kab rot bprot-pai dai mai khrap?') Perhaps I'm being too 'provincial' in my thinking (read: normally resides peacefully in Chiang Mai)...?

Fraktalkid

Good question. I have always looked for them as well but to no avail. Even in those much nicer "Green" taxis. Same thing with kids' car seats. Hard to find. Thai friends love the idea but are not interested it seems, and we got into a terrible accident on the way home from BNH with our new-born twins! (no one was hurt thankfully!). I always tell the taxi driver that I am a bad luck passenger at having experienced three accidents and they always slow down

...why Thais dislike them so much

It is not only Thai people, and a phenomenon not only in Thailand. People are egoistic. They think of their comfort, dislike the discomfort of wearing the seat belt, and do not think of the burden they will be to relatives if they get seriously hurt in an accident because they did not wear the belt.

--

Maestro

I've always found seat belts in the front and always buckle up having been involved in a few rear enders here in Bangkok.

In the back its best to adopt the crash position at all times ... :o

Yeah, the last time I was on a taxi, there was a seatbelt in the front seat for the passenger too...and I used it. :D

Every now and then I come across a taxi that hasn't taken out the belts - I make a fuss putting it on and give the driver a good tip (I make sure he knows he's getting the tip because of the belts in the back). I hope that I am encouraging one driver at a time to keep the belts where they are..... or maybe I am dreaming!