Metro Jomtien Condo

tt61

Just to clear things up. The dome top white building in Beach road is not the Metro.

This is called Nusa Playa Hotel & Spa.

They had a land dispute and the building was never really opened - people invested and lost big money on this. It is now owned by a Singaporean Consortium and is service apartments/hotel now.

Metro never had any land problems and the CAT developer has now sold out his majority share holdings and is now a co owner like everyone.

else.

Our co owners group are now the largest single voting group at the Metro

Folks,

Just to support "BlackJack". We bought a few units a year after the 1997 financial crisis because we lost our way and ended up in this Metro Condo. No regret since then. Not perfect and a few bearable annoyances. But with this grouping a few months ago of co-owners (Metro Co-owners Group-(MCOG), I am even more optimistic of this condo. The group has been purposeful and fair but with no nonsense.

Furthermore the structure was well designed with all units facing the sea and with certainty that there will not be obstructive view. The two cornered units of each floor have the view of the sea and the greenery hills. Car park building is so spacious with 60% not occupied. I had my recuperation after an operation and recovered very nicely there. I was surprised that the food delivery services covers Metro Building as well. Food can be delivered from the S&P Restaurant at the Royal Garden Plaza. Mostly, our family never see Pataya but only between Bangkok and Metro Condo with reasonable services nearby. Nang-nual Restaurant as frequented by westerners is 10-minute walk nearby.

I like to think that in a short while, this MCOG will make a big difference to the place. I urge any readers who are the owners there to join this force for the good of the majority. I can see a lot of good things coming. It is fortunate for us to have this Group there. I am not related to this group and merely a member of the Group.

• 1 month later...

I recently bought a 120m garden corner penthouse unit at Metro, for a bargain price. I am currently renovating, and it is taking longer and costing more than i expected, but what project does not go over time and over budget? The unit had many problems to solve, caused by the old owners lack of care and attention.

The price you are quoting seems a little high, but it is 36th floor.

I am also owner at view talay 2. I have to admit, Metro is very quiet, and I can hear the sea in the distance, (when there are waves). It is nice to wake up to that sound, and not the sounds in a larger condo like view talay.

The air is also very clean, and it is nice to step out of the door onto the beach.

The price to pay is convenience. Not as convenient as view talay to get to south pattaya.

Still I think the move was worth it, and will be good longer term.

Thanks all you guys who provided input. It seems all of you agree that it is a quiet place. I currently have a condo in VT2 (busy) and quiet is actually what I'm looking for. So in that regard the Metro seems a good bet. It's distant, true, but I suppose that's the price you have to pay for the quietude.

The maintenance fee of 11000b a year is stiff but I've seen the normally cheap VT's creeping up there as well. VT5 is 7200b year and I believe VT6 and VT8 will cost even more.

The unit I've been looking at is a one bed on 36:th floor, 110 Sq.m. refurbished and very fresh, 8.5 million b.

Again thanks for all the comments, highly appreciated

Cheers

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Update..

I went to the AGM of the Metro Jomtien Condotel, as owner.

Here is what I found. There are 4 main categories of owners at Metro Jomtien.

1) Bangkok based thai and chinese business men and thier families. They only visit at weekends, and not every weekend. These are a wealthy bunch, on the whole

2) retired foreigners, who live here full time ( a minority of owners)

3) Metro CAT owns some rooms for rental business

4) foreigners, who dont live here all the time, perhaps only a few weeks per year.

The metro cat, has done a good job managing the project at low cost, and low maintenance fee. The money minded chinese owners, also seem tolike this low maintenance fee.

But the low cost, tight fisted attitude of these owners is somewhat contradictory to the fulltime retirees, who would like more money to be spent, (since they use the facilities all year round). By increasing expenditure on services by all co owners, this small group of retirees would benefit most.

Personally, I think the executive committee, led by the Metro Cat, are pretty good. They developed the building after all. But the management company employed. IRM management is appalling. They have had 4 managers in 2 years.

Things have been improving. The pool was retiled,with new filters installed. The tennis courts will be redone. But, at some point soon, money will need to be spent, to upgrade the infrastructure and installations, such as pipes, the cable tv system, etc. Obvioulsy, the service charge will have to rise to cover these costs.

You can establish the quality of condo management ;

1. Ask to see the most recent audited accounts of the condominium juristic person. That is the association in Thai law which owns the structure. These accounts should be audited, though with accounting standards such as they are in Thailand, this is no absolute guarantee of accuracy. In any building catering well to expatriate owners there will be an English language copy. Use your common sense to review income and outgo, accumulated net worth, presence of reserve funds etc. Ask to see a list detailing maintenance arrears. Be careful if the developer is the major creditor or arrears are substantial/chronic.

2. Ask for a copy of the minutes of the most recent Annual General Meeting. As with the accounts, any well managed building will have these in English translation. Review this to see if key issues like financial viability, management quality, maintenance planning and the like are discussed. See also how election of board is conducted, if it is!. Many condominiums here are autocratically run by the developers as a cash cow with no real ownership input/control.

3. Ask for a copy of the insurance policy covering the building. This will likely be in Thai but check with your lawyer what is covered,who is the beneficiary, for how much and with whom. Often insurance is completely inadequate, covers only fire and is with a company even for major buildings no-one has ever heard of. Strangely such companies often pay brokerage of some substance to the "manager" which should not be done for obvious reasons re independent assessment. Thailand has many reputable brokers in Bangkok who can arrange the right policy with the financially capable insurers plus advise on coverage amount which will increase over time to cover replacement costs. Check there is 3rd party insurance also though this will be rare. Good insurance companies will also offer staff fire training.

4 See a utility bill for a condo and check the unit costs of electricity and water against those an independent householder would pay. These items should not be a "profit centre" for management.

5. Ask for a copy of the association,s land deed which of course should be in its name (e.g. "name of condo" Juristic Association). In many cases the association will own only the footprint of the building and you can have a fun park or shophouses next year on what you thought were your clubhouse grounds or gardens. This is common. One building mentioned above as an exemplar has allocated only 2.5 rai(about an acre) for its new 33 storey twin tower. Now tell me that makes sense!

6. Walk down the fire stairs as you leave. A sign of good management is that these will be completely clear, properly emergency lit etc. Check the maintenance plate in the elevators. Is the manufacturer the maintaining coy? Shoddy lift maintenance is a time bomb. Again commonsense viewing will give you an idea of overall tidiness and housekeeping quality.''[/b]

My post originally. The exemplar I mention is being occupied this month. Cheers Hugh

• 1 year later...
i just noticed this post

and there is some confusion as to which building is the Metro Jomtien Condotel (MJC).

So go here http://www.mcogjomtien.com

we now have over 30% of the vote and at the next AGM will possibly have a majority on the Executive Committee

then we can legally turn things around

Our next project is the beach entrance and foyer - all new design

our mission statement is building a better METRO

see pics www.mcogjomtien.com

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but is the MCOG still alive and kicking? The above referenced web site no longer exists. Is there a new web site someplace? I have a friend interested in possibly buying a unit in the building.

I rented a higher floor unit there for a month and here are my thoughts:

- nice pool, good security staff

- maintenance and upkeep inside the building could be better imho but maybe not so bad by Thai standards?

- good value restaurant downstairs

- nice balcony

- great tennis courts

- gym not maintained and never used

- problems with plumbing

- fairly quiet building in a quiet area

- too far from the action in my opinion and I had a motorbike and it would take 20 minutes or longer to get to walking street and I drive fast. Plus the major roadway can be fairly dangerous.

- I would look at the other end of Jomtien unless of course you are one who is content to just read a book or spend time with a family by the pool.

Hope this helps.

losworld: Thanks for the feedback. Both my friend and I consider the "remoteness" and quiet of the area to be big pluses. To us, Walking Street is a place to take visiting friend/family for a looksee. :)

When we looked at a few sample units, we didn't even know there is a gym. Where is it?

Do you have any comments about or encounters with the dogs (or cats...) mentioned above?

What were the problems with the plumbing?

• 1 month later...
losworld: Thanks for the feedback. Both my friend and I consider the "remoteness" and quiet of the area to be big pluses. To us, Walking Street is a place to take visiting friend/family for a looksee. :)

When we looked at a few sample units, we didn't even know there is a gym. Where is it?

Do you have any comments about or encounters with the dogs (or cats...) mentioned above?

I heard there were masses of termites in the building. True or not?

I heard there were masses of termites in the building. True or not?

the place is sprayed every month and 10 units free each month

Co Owners need to make sure their properties are sprayed each month

termites move around as soon a someone renovates

any dormant unit MAY attract bugs

Just noticed your post. Yes if you don't move around much it is a nice area. The only thing lacking outside of immediate nightlife (although there is some in Jomtien) is a large grocery store. The gym is on the second floor but sorry to say that it has not been kept up and the machines are rusted, etc. They may be repairable not sure. The restaurant downstairs is good value. As per the plumbing it appears to be a drainage problem with the toilet occasionally backing up. Don't really remember any bugs. As per dogs/cats there were a few on the nearly abandoned property next door but since you can get to the beach and road by going inside the perimeter I wouldn't think many problems. I rode in and out on my mbike daily for a month and didn't remember any problems with dogs/cats. However, I did enjoy the pool and all units are ocean view with nice sized balcony. Good luck and let me know how you make out.

Edited by losworld