Thousands protest British PM Johnson's move to suspend parliament

rooster59

7 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Not sure these 2,000 assorted anti-democracy protesters can trump the 17.4 million Brits that actually voted to leave in the referendum?

Can you please refresh my memory giving me the number of Brits who could potentialy have voted in the referendum? Thank you! 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, the guest said:

I'm sick of hearing these "remoaners" not accepting the democratic vote of the majority. UK should have left ages ago, and it is abhorrent that country still remains in the EU.

If the UK does not leave, then it will be classed as yet another Banana Republic.

By Boris/Cummings bypassing Parliamentary democracy and converting UK into executive government (same as Article 44 in Thailand) the UK can officially be classified as a banana republic now.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, bangrak said:

Can you please refresh my memory giving me the number of Brits who could potentialy have voted in the referendum? Thank you! 

Not relevant despite my own belief with hindsight that participation should be mandatory & tied to a modest tax incentive (10 quid?).

2 minutes ago, transam said:

Don't be silly, Boris is using the tools available to do what the UK populace voted for, not what individual MP's voted for......10 out of 10 from me.

Unfortunately for you, the UK is governed by Parliamentatary democracy, not mob rule. There is only one political ideoligy that I know of, that advocates rule by the lowest common denominator, the people, and referendums to be held for every important decision. Anarchism.

Is that what you are, an Anarchist? Is that what you want for the UK, anarchy?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, bangrak said:

A more relevant question is how many people voted to be represented by this Parliament at the last General Election.

The number is over 32million people (68.8 % of the electorate) now being denied the representation they voted for.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2017/06/09/general-election-sees-highest-turnout-25-years-nearly-70-britons/amp/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, bangrak said:

46,500,000 potential electorate eligible to vote, out of those 72% made the effort and turned out to vote, pretty high eh. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Not relevant despite my own belief with hindsight that participation should be mandatory & tied to a modest tax incentive (10 quid?).

I don’t often agree with what you say but I do agree voting should be mandatory.

The price paid for people’s right to vote is the argument voting should be a mandatory duty.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Unfortunately for you, the UK is governed by Parliamentatary democracy, not mob rule. There is only one political ideoligy that I know of, that advocates rule by the lowest common denominator, the people, and referendums to be held for every important decision. Anarchism.

Is that what you are, an Anarchist? Is that what you want for the UK, anarchy?

Are you calling the Queen an anarchist..?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Your link appears to be out of date and was formulated before Boris took over from Mrs May, thereby making it irrelevant, I can only reiterate that Boris is liked by the country, albeit understandably not by arch remainers.
Which obviously explains the lack of bottle on putting anything to a vote. [emoji1782]

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

If an unelected Prime Minister with a majority of 1 and no mandate can shut down Parliament in an unconventional but legal way, It must be ok to ignore a nonbinding referendum and revoke article 50 in an unconventional but legal way. Espically when sold on lies and they haven't delivered.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

If an unelected Prime Minister with a majority of 1 and no mandate can shut down Parliament in an unconventional but legal way, It must be ok to ignore a nonbinding referendum and revoke article 50 in an unconventional but legal way. Espically when sold on lies and they haven't delivered.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Sold in the truth ! We now see the EU for what it is ! It’s arrogance, building on its failures and outdated model

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1