Getting An International Drivers Licence In Thaila

I have only a Thai drivers licence which is valid until 2010, but now I would also like to get an international drivers licence in order to be able to drive in other countries. I remember once having seen the address of an office in Bangkok issueing international drivers licences in this forum, but couldnt find it using the search function. It would be even better though, if I could get an international drivers licence in Phuket, Hadyai, or somewhere else in southern Thailand, because Bangkok is far away from where I live. Can anybody help out? Thanks in advance.

So-called international licenses are generally issued by some kind of recognized organization such as the American Automobile Association in the US. Even then they carry no legal weight. It is the national license on which your legal right to drive is still based.

For example, a few years ago both Hertz and Avis in the US refused to authroize my wife to drive our rentals based on her Thai license and an international license since they said they did not recognize a Thai license. Particularly if you intend to rent a car somewhere, you should check in advance whether whatever documentation you intend to present will be accepted. Arguing with them after you are standing there usually isn't very effective.

As a general rule the international drivering permit must be applied in your couontry of residence where subsequently it cannot be used, but abroad in all member states that signed the convention.

For Thailand have a look in here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/320.0.html

I use intern. permits around the world and was always acepted by car rentals, although I hear that the US companies bedcame a biot strict as of recent resp. after 9-11 etc.

I hear that the US companies bedcame a biot strict as of recent resp. after 9-11 etc.

Why?

In case a terrorist drives a rental car into a high rise building?

Just imagine the headlines, one dead no damage to the building.

I use intern. permits around the world and was always acepted by car rentals, although I hear that the US companies bedcame a biot strict as of recent resp. after 9-11 etc.

I'm in the US and just today tried to rent a car using my old (expired) US license and my current Thai license.

No deal - I was told I needed the Thai license plus an international license.

Just go down to the office that issued your Thai drivers license and they can issue an international license. There may be an age limit, 20, and think you must have had youe license for 2-3 years before they will issue an international license.