Non-Immigrant O Early Renewal

I currently have a non Immigrant O visa based on marriage and want to apply for the 1 year extension of this.

Did to timings etc for me I need to apply early. What is the earliest I can apply for this (I've read conflicting reports of 30 days, 45 days and even 3 months)

If it makes any difference I will be applying in Chiang Mai.

Secondly, his long on average does it take to get the extension and presumably during this time they keep your passport?

Thanks all

You can apply for the extension during the last 30 days ot the 90 day entry from your visa.

Immigration does not keep your passport.

After the extension application is accepted you will be given a under consideration stamp with a report back date 30 days from that day.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, stament said:

So you go back to immigration for an appointment to have the new visa added when approved?

There is no appointment it is just date that your extension should be approved by.

You return and if approved you get the one year extension of stay stamp (is is not a visa).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, stament said:

So you go back to immigration for an appointment to have the new visa added when approved?

If your application is accepted, you'll be given an 'under consideration' stamp in your passport to return 30 days later (as UJ advised above).

Unlike retirement extensions which can be approved at the application, marriage extensions have to be approved by a senior officer at regional level.

Whilst your application is under consideration you are legally permitted to stay in the Country even if you exceed the date on your current permission to stay stamp.

An extension is a permit, not a Visa, it doesn't allow exit/re-entries to Thailand.

If you wish to exit/re-enter on an extension then you need to purchase a re-entry permit. 1,000 baht single entry, 3,800 baht multiple entries.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no appointment it is just date that your extension should be approved by.

You return and if approved you get the one year extension of stay stamp (is is not a visa).

Ah ok I misunderstood I thought it was a visa and would take up a page in my passport.

Once received and stamped in my passport, I would then apply for a permit to leave TH and return right?

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

If your application is accepted, you'll be given an 'under consideration' stamp in your passport to return 30 days later (as UJ advised above).

Unlike retirement extensions which can be approved at the application, marriage extensions have to be approved by a senior officer at regional level.

Whilst your application is under consideration you are legally permitted to stay in the Country even if you exceed the date on your current permission to stay stamp.

An extension is a permit, not a Visa, it doesn't allow exit/re-entries to Thailand.

If you wish to exit/re-enter on an extension then you need to purchase a re-entry permit. 1,000 baht single entry, 3,800 baht multiple entries.

Thanks.

Can you exit TH whilst waiting for the extension stamp for a short trip like a week or so, or is this not allowed?

2 hours ago, stament said:

Thanks.

Can you exit TH whilst waiting for the extension stamp for a short trip like a week or so, or is this not allowed?

If you have a multi entry Non O, yes as long as you return before the enter before date on your Visa.

If you have a single entry Non O, then you'll need a re-entry permit and return before your current permission of stay expires.

2 hours ago, stament said:

Once received and stamped in my passport, I would then apply for a permit to leave TH and return right?

Yes, you can apply for a re-entry permit immediately after receiving the marriage extension stamp during the same visit.