Sir Cliff Richard: BBC pays £2m in final settlement after privacy case

snoop1130

Sir Cliff Richard: BBC pays £2m in final settlement after privacy case

By Mark Savage

_108600108_983547b3-4dec-4899-91ae-1b8fa4d32afa.jpg

Sir Cliff said news coverage of a police raid on his house was "devastating" / REUTERS

Sir Cliff Richard has reached a final settlement in his legal action against the BBC, and will receive a sum of around £2m towards his legal costs.

Last year, the star won a privacy case against the broadcaster over its coverage of a police raid on his home.

The BBC was ordered to pay £210,000 in damages, and later agreed to pay £850,000 to cover legal costs.

However, that figure has since increased. The BBC said the case had now reached its "conclusion".

Full Story: https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-49576940

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, faraday said:

Still don't understand how the Police got it so wrong...

Agreed and it must have been a horrible ordeal for Sir Cliff to have experienced. There is no excuse for the police leaking details of an enquiry to the media.

Notwithstanding the above, investigating a suspect then finding out that they are indeed innocent is considerably less harmful than letting the guilty go unpunished due to a lack of proper investigation.

4 minutes ago, Proboscis said:

The poor pensioners will not be charged as the BBC will continue to pay their TV license. Only the richer ones will have to pay.

I am not a fan of Sir Cliff - for me he is just another celeb - but he was wrongly arrested, he was left in limbo while the whole world thought he was a pedophile and the BBC invaded his privacy by having the police raid on prime time. What was he supposed to do? In the UK, there is not a lot you can legally do other than sue. It is the only option open to you other than doing nothing.

On your first point, I believe only those poor pensioners aged 75 or above get the free licences.

On your second point I completely agree but would add that the BBC might have doen better to admit that they had acted wrongly and made an early settlement thus saving the licence payers' hard earned dosh.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Proboscis said:

The poor pensioners will not be charged as the BBC will continue to pay their TV license. Only the richer ones will have to pay.

Clearly you are not up to date regarding pensioners and the license fee, as they are going to make all pensioners pay, in the news recently.

11 minutes ago, Blue Muton said:

On your first point, I believe only those poor pensioners aged 75 or above get the free licences.

coming to an  end,  but  more ridiculous is anyone  having to  pay a licence anyway.

Edited by gunderhill
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

Money grabbing git, meanwhile poor pensioners are being threatened will prison for not paying the the extortionate license fee..... Bloody disgraceful plonker.

He's innocent - did you miss that bit?

The money grabbing and money squandering gits are the tossers running the BBC, lining their own greasy pockets, pontificating and trying to lecture everyone else.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, CGW said:

Yep & I would bet in years to come "his" estate will be paying back the money, same as Saville - they are protecting "somebody"!

Did you miss the bit where he's innocent?

Ah, the old "no smoke without fire" mentality. J'accuse.

Let's have trial by the gutter press. Yeah for Justice.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

Agreed and it must have been a horrible ordeal for Sir Cliff to have experienced. There is no excuse for the police leaking details of an enquiry to the media.

Notwithstanding the above, investigating a suspect then finding out that they are indeed innocent is considerably less harmful than letting the guilty go unpunished due to a lack of proper investigation.

Yep, a real bummer.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

Let's have trial by the gutter press. Yeah for Justice.

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

i am the next Pope.

I think its would be safe to quash any aspirations you have to be Supreme Pontiff, far to many child abusers in that mob anyway!

Just because "Kitty" (Cliffs nickname) was often a guest at Elm guest house, along with other innocent folks like Cyril Smith in no way makes him guilty though. :wink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

Clearly you are not up to date regarding pensioners and the license fee, as they are going to make all pensioners pay, in the news recently.

Excellent.The old are the ones who have the money these days while the young barely watch TV at all. Seems fair to me that the oldsters should stump up.

7 hours ago, colinneil said:

For many years folk reckoned Saville was a saint.

If hes innocent, i am the next Pope.

True google " Elm House" where Sir Cliff visited with his old pal Tony blair, where every trace of police records have mysteriously vanished completely!

4 hours ago, jayboy said:

Excellent.The old are the ones who have the money these days while the young barely watch TV at all. Seems fair to me that the oldsters should stump up.

You just reminded me of a song ...

The young ones
Darling, we're the young ones
And young ones
Shouldn't have to pay

Can't remember who sang it.