MONKS being denied visas now in Thailand??

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

If he's really a good monk, then why don't he go to live in Cambodia or Myanmar which are both Buddhist countries. These countries would have less headaches like TM30 , 90 days report etc.

Thailand is certainly more materialistic than these two countries but monks aren't supposed to be materialistic.

Because he believes that Thailand still has living arahants (enlightened beings), including the abbot of his monastery, who are able to guide him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Orton Rd said:

So called jungle monastery next to us, they all have phones and never seen any meditating.

Yes, that's usually the case, especially with Thai monks.

I got an answer to my email from my monk friend after 3 months. There is wifi available, but the abbot's rule is that it is for emergency only.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

Unfortunately, some non-Thai monks aren't real monks. They are monks because they want to have free food, extra privileges in public places (bus station), carefree life etc.  I have even seen so-called monks eating meat at restaurants. But Thai people treat these monks as 'god'.

To be a real monk during Buddha's time, you have to give up worldly pleasures such as money, sex, meat-eating and be compassionate towards all beings (including animals) ...

It's not just about meditation.

The monastery where he is staying is quite rustic.

I have been to his hut. Really, just a few wooden planks, a gecko on the wall, and a snake who comes at night he says. No electricity. It does have running water though (what a luxury, I know!).

On 9/5/2019 at 11:15 AM, Anagami said:

He lives in a jungle hut in an isolated monastery in Isaan close to Laos border. He is thin as a needle, completely serious about his spiritual practice, and seems to be living as a monk 100% whenever I come to visit him.

For sure the monks here on ThaiVisa can answer your questions better than me. But perhaps he needs other things than simply being thin like a needle and so on to get such a visa. 

2 hours ago, Anagami said:

And to answer several misconceptions expressed in this thread: if you think that life of a monk is 'easy' and 'free', you should try for some time. Of course, I mean real practice, following the rules, setting sensuality aside, eating once a day...etc.

Living the life of a real monk in Thailand is somewhat more challenging than drinking beer in your local soi bar and chasing whores.

Good post. Hardship focusses the mind.

1 minute ago, Caldera said:

Ripping Thai people off by telling them fairy tales should be added to the list of professions reserved to Thais. At that point, no foreign monk could get a visa/extension anymore.

I don't understand - who is being ripped off? As far as I can see, Thais who follow their religion (rather than pretending to follow it by putting a few Baht in a temple collection box) seem to gain a lot from it and live wholesome lives.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2019 at 11:15 AM, Anagami said:

It is of course possible that my friend has been abusing the system that I don't know about, but I doubt it. He lives in a jungle hut in an isolated monastery in Isaan close to Laos border. He is thin as a needle, completely serious about his spiritual practice, and seems to be living as a monk 100% whenever I come to visit him.

Sorry, Cambodians and other neighbors do receive different treatment than farangs. And that's a fact, not an opinion.

Also, 'last month' is sometimes very old news in Thailand. Things, especially those pertaining to Thai Immigration, can change in a flash.

In order to get a monk visa, you need to be sponsored by a temple with a certain standing so it is possible that his temple is too small or not connected enough to sponsor the visa. It is also not uncommon for temples to be reluctant to sponsor foreign monks for a number of reasons, including xenophobia, reluctance to get involved in Thai bureaucracy, lack of knowledge of the system etc. even if the foreign monks are serious and long-standing. I know of one monk who has regular issues, despite living in a large temple in BKK and having been a monk for over a decade. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, roath said:

In order to get a monk visa, you need to be sponsored by a temple with a certain standing so it is possible that his temple is too small or not connected enough to sponsor the visa. It is also not uncommon for temples to be reluctant to sponsor foreign monks for a number of reasons, including xenophobia, reluctance to get involved in Thai bureaucracy, lack of knowledge of the system etc. even if the foreign monks are serious and long-standing. I know of one monk who has regular issues, despite living in a large temple in BKK and having been a monk for over a decade. 

Thank you for a thoughtful response.

His temple indeed is small, only 5 monks there, and all farangs now (Thai monks have moved on from there, for whatever reason), with a Thai abbot. Moreover, though he has a farang nationality (Canadian), he is not a farang race (he is an Indian by race, not white). I think that may be a contributing factor.

Edited by Anagami
  • Like 1

Must have been to hundreds of wats over the years and the only one I would say was really following Buddhas teachings was just outside Ubon. Clean, no stray animals, no collection boxes except one covered up, no silly statues of zebras and chickens etc, no <deleted> on sale including amulets, no fortune telling and no markets allowed inside.

On 9/5/2019 at 10:57 AM, ubonjoe said:

I am certain that that immigration is still issuing extensions for monks that meet the qualification for one.

When I was at immigration here last month their was 15 of them from Cambodia getting extensions.

Apples and oranges there. 

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Anagami said:

I have been to his hut. Really, just a few wooden planks, a gecko on the wall, and a snake who comes at night he says. No electricity. It does have running water though (what a luxury, I know!).

He can live that life anywhere. No need to be here to have nothing and still have to worry about a visa.

• Like 1

On September 5, 2019 at 11:00 AM, 3421abc said:

Cambodias are neighbors of Thailand. You know westerners are treated differently. 

Generally treated better than common folk from neighboring countries.

As usual when some farang reports a problem, especially one that involves "I have a friend who ..." it's assumed what he says is totally accurate, the whole story and fully informed.  There is undoubtedly more to the story. Just another opportunity for mindless Thai bashing based on half truths and speculation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/5/2019 at 5:03 AM, Matzzon said:

No they do not, if everything is as it should and above board. There must be something more that has not been revealed yet, to this story.

exactly this .

Nationality plays a big role and currently westerners facing more hassles than ever before .

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Anagami said:

There are many monasteries in Thailand that have much better facilities and life. I don't know why he chose that hut.

If he can live in that situation, then he's a true monk unlike a lot of monks I have seen.

8 hours ago, dbrenn said:

Why not? Just curious.

Neither of those 2 countries really like farangs that aren't there to spend money.  And if your a farang, white man, they for some reason think your actually working for the CIA.  They watch you like a hawk.  ????

11 hours ago, HampiK said:

And what was the problem to renew extension as a monk? I would guess in Lopburi the Immigration maybe even know your temple where you studied. Or is there a restriction of how many extensions you have have as monk?
I actually don't know nothing only interested as I was expecting as long you are a real monk this should be one of the easier extensions!

Actually, my temple was pretty small and not considered in the main stream, and the immigration authorities didn't really know of it. I think they were just uncomfortable about making these visa decisions and wanted to pass the buck on to higher authorities, Bangkok, etc.  I had a friend, a Thai monk, who was a abbot of a temple in Arizona and a sort of high muckety muck in a big temple in Bangkok.  When I had a problem, I would go to him and he would write a high praise letter for me that I would show to the immigration authorities, on the big temples letter head, and that would calm the waters.  Of course with having a ED visa, I had to throw some Thai on them and then a few blessings in Pali on them, then normally they would back off. My Pali was much better than my Thai.  ????

11 hours ago, Anagami said:

Sounds like Wat Pah Nanachat.  Mostly farang monks there. 

On 9/6/2019 at 8:29 AM, EricTh said:

Unfortunately, some non-Thai monks aren't real monks. They are monks because they want to have free food, extra privileges in public places (bus station), carefree life etc.  I have even seen so-called monks eating meat at restaurants. But Thai people treat these monks as 'god'.

To be a real monk during Buddha's time, you have to give up worldly pleasures such as money, sex, meat-eating and be compassionate towards all beings (including animals) ...

It's not just about meditation.

Unfortunately it’s not only some non-Thais who are not real monks but there are Thais who meet the same criteria you describe.

We have come across a few over the years.

7 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

Unfortunately it’s not only some non-Thais who are not real monks but there are Thais who meet the same criteria you describe.

We have come across a few over the years.

I am not specifically stating westerner monks but monks in general.

I have personally come across Thai-monks eating huge amount of dishes of Dim Sum at a restaurant in Chiang Mai. These are non-vegetarian Dim Sum.