I was in Bangkok yesterday & what I saw depressed me.

kellersphuket

7 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Let's be clear: You have zero factual evidence of "institutional racism."  All you have is your (heavily biased) personal observation from a distance for a short period of time at one particular location. . 

Would you say the same thing to the dude that filmed the beating of Rodney King?

It was his own personal observation after all..

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

I recall some guy insisting that the police were only issuing no-helmet tickets to farang motorcyclists (complete nonsense). 

It's not nonsense at all.

They do this in Phuket all the time.

They wait on the road from Karon to Patong, only fining foreigners.

Your statements are factually incorrect.

Just now, kellersphuket said:

Geez man, give it a rest.  I see police pulling over Thai motorcyclists in Chiang Mai ALL THE TIME. 

16 minutes ago, kellersphuket said:

IT B.S. I have never been fined for no helmet (I wear a helmet) and see plenty of Thais getting fined here no foreigners to speak of. So them going out of their way to fine a foreigner is at least in my area factual incorrect. So in averages over the country you are as per usual incorrect. Where i live they just fine those without helmets.. no exceptions foreigners or Thai. I have been fined for being in the wrong lane.. same as countless Thais at the same spot.

So much contrived nonsense from this author. If I were to be asked, and I probably won't be, I would say that he has had many previous noms du trolle, all with the same MO. But never mind. Disingenuous, but it keeps things lively on the board. Re the OP, anyone with any kind of knowledge of Thailand would be aware of the Bangkok City Council's notorious tessakij (enforcement officials). It's hardly news, although this is the first mention of them for a while.

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

IT B.S. I have never been fined for no helmet (I wear a helmet) and see plenty of Thais getting fined here no foreigners to speak of. So them going out of their way to fine a foreigner is at least in my area factual incorrect. So in averages over the country you are as per usual incorrect. Where i live they just fine those without helmets.. no exceptions foreigners or Thai. I have been fined for being in the wrong lane.. same as countless Thais at the same spot.

My specific response was talking about Phuket.

Do you live in Phuket?

15 minutes ago, kellersphuket said:

My specific response was talking about Phuket.

Do you live in Phuket?

Obviously you made it country wide when you ignored someone who had Chang mai evidence and called him as bad as Thrump. You are super bias and lost all your credibility. 

18 hours ago, pedro01 said:

They do not have the power to arrest you.

Correct. But also remember they can call a real policeman (oops, is that a contradiction in terms in Thailand?) if you get stroppy with them - however I can't recall any incidences of this happening as the tessakij usually target only westerners who tend not to protest.

My story: Walked across the Rajdamnoen pedestrian bridge (fabled scene of many a tessakij triumph) while smoking. Kept my butt until I reached the other side and dropped it into a construction rubbish skip. Tessakij turd told me I was littering. I decided to provoke him, and the following exchange of words in both Thai and English was, well, colourful. When I'd had enough, I used the "hia" word with him and walked away, his mouth flapping up and down like he badly needed a cigarette.

On 9/11/2019 at 10:03 PM, taninthai said:

Not quite 12 years experience,,seen it all ,,no <deleted> or rip offs at our place we tell it like it is,if customer don’t like it they can go elsewhere ,we do ok are busy when we are supposed to be,,,you certainly don’t get the false smiles at our place,,,if you respect us we respect you ,if they don’t want to respect our place our rules our nature they are simply asked to check out.

Ahh now that sounds like the western hospitality I am use to... The reason I escaped to Los. Lol

1 minute ago, smutcakes said:

If i was a policeman i would fine the OP relentlessly for being a tiresome <deleted>.

Not sure why anyone responds to him anyway- he is just a troll. (well for his sake i hope he is)

Just because you say the word troll over and over does not make it so.

You can call me a troll all you want, it doesn't change the fact that everything I have said is true. The truth obviously hurts, doesn't it? Some people cannot deal with reality, so they live the comforting lie instead.

That ain't my fault dude, don't take it out on me.

3 minutes ago, kellersphuket said:

Just because you say the word troll over and over does not make it so.

You can call me a troll all you want, it doesn't change the fact that everything I have said is true. The truth obviously hurts, doesn't it? Some people cannot deal with reality, so they live the comforting lie instead.

That ain't my fault dude, don't take it out on me.

Personally i could not give a toss if its true or not....makes no odds to me....

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

But other issues brought forwards in some posts such as 'the farang is always in the wrong in an accident' etc are just bar-stool rubbish.

One of my oldest friends would take issue with you over this comment. It cost him megabucks to avoid being charged (I saw with my own eyes how the evidence was fabricated against him) and spending many years in jail.

14 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

So break the law and suffer the consequences, pretty much the way it is in every country on the planet

Except in most other countries the locals also get fined.

Not the case here if what I saw the other day is the way it is done all the time.

One rule for the locals, another for the tourists.

That is just plain wrong.

21 hours ago, kellersphuket said:

I don't know what happens to people here man, 

is it the Thainess that takes over or what??

I'm still trying to figure out how a western person can passively accept these institutionally racist tactics as 'the norm.'

It is far from the norm when a person is singled out for extortion due to the color of their skin. It is so, so wrong.

Thais, generally, have the same colour skin as westerners.

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

Well Kellersphuket not very often i agree with Steven 100 but this time i certainly do.

As he has said you seriously need to get a life.

You should not have gone to Bangkok, because whilst you were away pickups, many pickups were parked outside your gate.:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

No pickups to be seen today Colin!

just about to leave my quiet & peaceful street now and head to the bars!

life could not be better bro!!!!

3 hours ago, smutcakes said:

If i was a policeman i would fine the OP relentlessly for being a tiresome <deleted>.

Not sure why anyone responds to him anyway- he is just a troll. (well for his sake i hope he is)

He has another user name. From 2012. 

Strange guy. 

22 minutes ago, kellersphuket said:

No pickups to be seen today Colin!

just about to leave my quiet & peaceful street now and head to the bars!

Looking for a new wife? You said one now lives under the bridge and make you happy she like that. And you paid her 100,000 per month. 

22 minutes ago, kellersphuket said:

life could not be better bro!!!!

The OP said you depressed!

Many names, many feelings!

Do you know Walter Mitty?

Archived