Central Festival Pattaya Beach

Lazy Sod

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night was the buisiest on the roads I have seen for a long time. I will be waiting a few weeks till it calms down a bit before i go, but drove past and it looked very nice. (I thought i was in Bangkok for a moment)

Yep, I was on my way back home from Central at midnight last night.

I have never seen as much traffic in Pattaya before. Beach Road and 2nd Road was at a standstill.

Earlier in the evening at around 6-7pm even 3rd road was almost at a standstill.. Traffic police even on Soi Bua Khao directing the traffic it was so busy..

Its actually a nice change to see Pattaya lively again... Its been rather dead for the last couple of years..

Even the mayor of Pattaya got up singing Joey Boy at the Grand opening last night! :o:D

I was also really impressed with their 'countdown' to the Grand opening last night at about 8:30pm.. They put on a great show with fireworks, hundreds of balloons being blown up into the sky, confetti, glitter, smoke... They really made it look special..

I just returned from several hours inspecting Central and I really think it will be a success. In fact, it already is! I noticed that almost every restaurant was filled with the exception of some very high end ones but this was lunchtime) and I noted the volume of shopping bags from stores in the mall and it seems that people were buying goods as well.

I was delighted to see a Yayoi restaurant as I enjoy them in Bangkok.

Parking was easy even though the structure was a bit crowded; entry from Second Rd and exit to Beach Rd was not difficult at all.

As I moved through the various levels of the mall I was holding my breath hoping to find a Kinokuniya book store. Alas, there is none, just a same same Asia Books.

The Food Hall is every bit as good as Central Chid Lom in Bangkok. And they deliver!

Thumbs up from me on this one.

we spent a few hours there yesterday and were quite impressed ,however i think that it will mean lots more traffic in patters as people will be coming in from all over to do their shopping,its definatly not aimed at the tourist trade.

Edited by thaimate

It aimed at everybody! Check out any Bangkok mall from MBK to Paragon, there are always tourists there. As there will always be tourists here at the Central Festival Pattaya Beach.

BTW, there are definitely higher end souvenir type shops on the lower levels, as well as the cinemas, spas/beauty clinics, TWO food courts, many restaurants. Of course there will be tourists.

Edited by Jingthing

I know it is "just" a shopping mall but I truly believe yesterday was the biggest day in the history of modern Pattaya. It has crossed a bridge and there is no turning back. Not everyone is going to like what this really means in the long run.

I agree. Yesterday was a huge step forward for Pattaya.

Up until yesterday tourists only had Garden Plaza and Big C. Finally the "real" tourists have somewhere decent to shop.

Edited by tropo

It aimed at everybody! Check out any Bangkok mall from MBK to Paragon, there are always tourists there. As there will always be tourists here at the Central Festival Pattaya Beach.

BTW, there are definitely higher end souvenir type shops on the lower levels, as well as the cinemas, spas/beauty clinics, TWO food courts, many restaurants. Of course there will be tourists.

sorry ,did i say there would not be tourists? cant remember that ,what i said was it is not aimed at tourists.

please read the post before commenting

sorry ,did i say there would not be tourists? cant remember that ,what i said was it is not aimed at tourists.

To my reading, you clearly IMPLIED it. Why would a group show up an attraction that was not AIMED at them? No worries.

This shopping centre is definitely aimed at tourists.

For example, the Central department store has expensive labelled clothing lines. You can buy t-shirts for 3000 plus baht. Bikinis for way over 3000 baht. I believe it is the first store I've seen in Pattaya where ladies can purchase good quality designer shoes in the 2000 to 10000 baht range. In the 20 minutes I was checking out the ladies shoes with my gf there were only tourists in there.

This shopping centre is definitely aimed at tourists.

For example, the Central department store has expensive labelled clothing lines. You can buy t-shirts for 3000 plus baht. Bikinis for way over 3000 baht. I believe it is the first store I've seen in Pattaya where ladies can purchase good quality designer shoes in the 2000 to 10000 baht range. In the 20 minutes I was checking out the ladies shoes with my gf there were only tourists in there.

LOL 3000 B. for a t-shirt??? For that price I get 33 t-shirts in Soi Bukao market! hihihi - and in GOOD quality...

LOL 3000 B. for a t-shirt??? For that price I get 33 t-shirts in Soi Bukao market! hihihi - and in GOOD quality...

OK, YOU aren't the target market. They do have a lower-so food court near the ground level though. Something for everyone except for people who hate malls. It is also so big, free walking workout for the oldsters.

OK, YOU aren't the target market. They do have a lower-so food court near the ground level though. Something for everyone except for people who hate malls. It is also so big, free walking workout for the oldsters.

Yes, its great to escape a few hours into a good aircon, but no need to buy anything.

:o

What will happen, people will walk through it and window shop. Or use it as a cross over from 2nd to Beach Rd (cool off from the heat)

Now any wager's on how long it takes for 1st high end shop to board up? :o

Or just using the beautiful toilets after walking a while around the beach?

:D

My girlfriend and I went Saturday evening about 20:00 and I wasn't very impressed. The architecture is nice but that is the best I can say. Overall, Tesco is a much better experience and value.

We ate at the food court in the bottom level and it sucked. Most of the tables were full of dirty dishes. We had to move the dishes off of a table to another dirty table to have somewhere to sit. They don't have napkins or tissue anywhere. When you buy a card, they gave me one napkin. The card that is used in place of cash is only good for one day, so if you don't get a refund of whatever money is left on the card you loose. Each of us ended up ordering a bowl of soup as it was the most appealing (to us) option. BOTH tasted awful... watered down broth that was very tasteless. Tesco has much better and more variety of different foods...

Did not eat at any of the restaurants on the 4th or Th floor, but would definitely give the food court a pass.

Prices seemed excessively expensive. The grocery store has a good variety, but is pricey. I had bought yougurt at Tesco for 42 baht for a 4 pack. 52 baht at Central. A pair of sandals -granted they were Doctor Scholl- were 1,100 baht... 400 at Tesco for generic.

Real PS2 games for 1,100 baht - pirate copies at Tesco 150 baht... Name brand watches 6,300 baht, 1,300 to 1,600 at Tesco.

It seemed like going to a Mall back in the States with the same types of stores.. J. Crewe, North Face, Samsonite etc. with the equivalent prices.

Edited by rmicheald

Apples and oranges, Tesco vs. the new mall, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeze.. The lower-so food court did look dirty. First day and the floor was filthy. I would give them a few weeks to sort it out. They didn't even have English signs up yet about the food, I suspect they are coming. I tried out the higher end luxury food court on a higher floor. It was a similar ambiance to the luxury Central Chidlom Bangkok food court but not the same options. I was hoping for Malaysian but they did have Viet and Korean. Also impressive dessert options such as sticky toffee pudding.

They were marked at 3,200 baht, but on sale at 1,600. I'm not sure if the price was ever 3,200 baht or that's just a marketing ploy.

Regarding Soi Buakhao Market - there's a lot of cheap chinese copy junk there too that doesn't make the first wash...some with glued on buttons even.

Anyone have any photos they can post? Do they have a website listing all the stores?

Kind of:

http://www.centralfestival.co.th/centralfestival_about.html

Not sure about a bowling alley or fitness center. I walked all floors but didn't notice them. I didn't look at the beach front side though as it was a madhouse on opening night.

My girlfriend and I went Saturday evening about 20:00 and I wasn't very impressed. The architecture is nice but that is the best I can say. Overall, Tesco is a much better experience and value.

We ate at the food court in the bottom level and it sucked. Most of the tables were full of dirty dishes. We had to move the dishes off of a table to another dirty table to have somewhere to sit. They don't have napkins or tissue anywhere. When you buy a card, they gave me one napkin. The card that is used in place of cash is only good for one day, so if you don't get a refund of whatever money is left on the card you loose. Each of us ended up ordering a bowl of soup as it was the most appealing (to us) option. BOTH tasted awful... watered down broth that was very tasteless. Tesco has much better and more variety of different foods...

Speak for yourself. I'd be lucky to visit Tescos once every 6 months, that's how great I find that shopping experience. I've been to the new mall twice in 2 days.

I never use food courts in any mall, so I wouldn't be able to judge a mall by the food courts, but they have a great variety of restaurants upstairs.

For people like myself who easily break into a sweat in tropical climates, they will really appreciate the cooler aircon compared to the other malls in town.

Speak for yourself. I'd be lucky to visit Tescos once every 6 months, that's how great I find that shopping experience. I've been to the new mall twice in 2 days.

I never use food courts in any mall, so I wouldn't be able to judge a mall by the food courts, but they have a great variety of restaurants upstairs.

For people like myself who easily break into a sweat in tropical climates, they will really appreciate the cooler aircon compared to the other malls in town.

He was speaking for himself, out of his experience.

You, on the other hand, by your own admission, cannot have an opinion as you have not had the experience.

Yes they have a bowling alley and cinema on the top floor. Didn't see any gym anywhere, but it's a big center so I could have missed it.

Agree with the foodcourt, didn't look very appetizing, and priced at least 20% over similar dishes in Carrefour and Lotus. I also noticed the missing English signs, amazing in a place where half of the trade will be by foreigners.

There's a huge B2S bookstore on 4th floor.

Upscale shops don't seem to need to sell a lot to stay in business, just look at the Outlet Mall next to Lotus on Sukhumvit - it is packed with brand name shops that have been there for a decade now and never seem to sell anything.

The "skating rink" on the ground floor is tiny and isn't even ice but some plastic stuff. Seems to give the impression of ice skating though.

Edited by Phil Conners

Good to hear they have a bowling alley. It would have been very surprising if they didn't as those are standard in big Thai malls now. About the gym, if they don't have it yet, maybe later.

I forgot to mention the food I had at the upscale food court was not excellent. There was a Chinese stall and the sets didn't look so hot, including sad little egg rolls and fried rice. I ordered a black bean sauce noodles with fish expecting a Chinese style stir fry, instead got a black Thai style SOUP without even one visible black bean costing about 100 baht. Not tragic but I will skip that stall now for sure. The other weird thing about the upscale food court is when you order and pay for your food they do not have numbers to put on your table but they tell you to go away anyway. They also have many independent waiters who seem to be trying to figure out what to do. I think they expect tips. At a food court? Please.

Edited by Jingthing