Vista Licensing

bdenner

I have 2 NoteBooks that came with their own OEM licensed “Xp Home” OS. I have run the Vista compatibility tests and there are no major issues --- So the results say!!. If I was to buy the Vista Home Premium Upgrade can it be legally installed onto both machines?

I have run the Vista compatibility tests and there are no major issues

Run the trial first for a month before making a purchase.

Preferrably on only one of the machines.

(The best one)

Then you know if you have "issues" before throwing away the bucks.

Edited by sabajja

Guest Reimar

And not be schocked if you'll need a "long" time for upgrade!!

My Acer Aspire 5593 was telling about the compatibility check: 1 Driver and 2 Software problems!! After a period of 5 hour 31 min. ( :D ) the result was as this: 50% of the software wasn't work and 7 driver was able to install while 5 of this was getting to work after visiting the Manufacturers site but 2 no any way to get to work one of them my Printer Epson R310!! :D

After formatting and installing Vista Ultimate (need 25 min.!) everything was working incl. my Epson R310!! Except the "special" Acer software, all other software works now fine! :D

The IE 7, was hanging after "upgrading", now works fine without any problem. Two of my customers who bought new Toshiba Laptops, pre-installed Vista Home Basic, having similar problems with Printer and IE 7!! Toshiba Thailand wasn't able to get everything to run as they need. Upgrading to Ultimate solved the problems!

Question to all of you: Has anyone similar problems? :D:o

Anecdotally there does seem to some reality to the 'Ultimate works' with issues with the standard versions. It is very unclear at this stage, and whilst MS keep pushing the 'it's not us, it's the drivers {manufactures}', that does rather ignore the Windows Certification programme of old which was designed to get the manufactures to build windows focused drivers rather then truly universal ones, suitable for *nix etc.

Regards

And not be schocked if you'll need a "long" time for upgrade!!

The IE 7, was hanging after "upgrading", now works fine without any problem. Two of my customers who bought new Toshiba Laptops, pre-installed Vista Home Basic, having similar problems with Printer and IE 7!! Toshiba Thailand wasn't able to get everything to run as they need. Upgrading to Ultimate solved the problems!

Question to all of you: Has anyone similar problems? :D:o

If it is vista home edition, you might as well go home stay there and watch the telly or listen to a CD instead and simply do not bother with an install of this OS as nothing works as you rightly say

If its for home use give the Windows version of Open Office a shot (free, excellent and similar enough to M$ Office that you won't get lost in the menus).

I use office 2007 on my XP release 9, P4 note book and I have to say it is like 1995 all over again with different file version (2007 does not support earlier office versions) so I concurr Open Office for the nexst 3 years will be fine untill office 2007 takes hold.

As the thread say Vista, I noted some the functions I get on Office 2007 on the XP OS do not work with Vista Home version.

Now please the experts tell me why appart from it seems Vita home is 100% crippled why this is?

On the licence point, the OEM version is limited to the machine it is tagged to in installation, and theh full retail version may be moved to another machine, but only one PC at a time.

On the Office point, there have been several reports of problems with opening earlier Office documents with Office 2007 or Office 2003 under Vista, but thus far no real detailed analysis of the issue.

Regards

/edit typo//

Edited by A_Traveller