Friday 20th: Thai police have no right to confiscate your licence - other changes by December

webfact

Friday 20th: Thai police have no right to confiscate your licence - other changes by December

screenshot_9883.jpg

New traffic laws come into effect from this Friday - September 20th - when traffic police will no longer have the right to confiscate driving licences. 

An electronic licence can be shown instead.

Officers will be able to issue fines as before, fines that can be paid via a banking app.

Channel 3 reported that the system relating to the electronic licence will not be up and running for some time with the legal limit for its implementation being December 19th. 

The points system for driving offences and the inability to renew licences based on points accumulation is also being checked first with the same deadline of December 19th.

Each driver or rider will get 12 points and face a ban when they are used up. 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-09-17

1 hour ago, SammyT said:

Pretty sure they're also not able to take moto keys to force you to pay the bribe at the checkpoint rather than the fine at the police station but they were still doing that last time I checked...

Oh really, where this happened?

I get couple of tickets within 3 years but they always let me go to pay fine with my motorbike. Tho they still asked pocket money but I refused everytime. 

After I change motorbike to car everything went better, they don't check cars so much.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Papafarang said:

Would be nice to know what the fines are for different things 

as they are starting to quote the cost of things in telephone numbers 

Go to Pattaya police station in soi 9 and you will see a very clear tariff of fines listed on a poster on the wall.

8 hours ago, reargunnerph3 said:

They have no right to take your cash either but they do it. What are you going to do if they have your license and won't return it unless you pay? 

You obviously record the cop not giving it back to you.. Problem solved.

• 11 months later...