Rugby World Cup: What are chances of an England win?

webfact

Rugby World Cup: What are chances of an England win?

Fans are not convinced they can do it, says poll

David Buckley 

rugby.jpg

The Rugby World Cup starts next Friday (September 20) when hosts Japan take on Russia at 11.45am.

There’s a marvellous tournament in prospect, but a slight downside for England rugby fans is the times of the matches. Given the eight-hour time difference with Japan a lot of the games will be in the morning for Londoners.

What times are England’s group matches in the Rugby World Cup? They play Tonga on the first Sunday (22nd) at 11.15am; then it’s the USA at 11.45am on Thursday the 26th when many of us will be at work; the next two, fortunately for workers, are both on a Saturday – Argentina 9am on the 5th of October and France 9.15am on the 12th. All matches will be screened on ITV.

So, what are England’s chances of winning the Rugby World Cup? Well, according to a survey by pub company and brewer Greene King, just 14% of Brits think the England boys can bring home the silverware from this year’s World Cup. A quarter think favourites New Zealand will be the 2019 champions!

I don’t doubt these results, but it seems to be a national characteristic to say “it won’t be us” while crossing our fingers and saying inwardly “but I hope we can do it”. My opinion – and the odds from the bookies suggest they agree – is that second-favourites England are in with a real chance, perhaps the best since we won it in 2003. There, that will have put the mockers on them.

Of course, last time out on home soil England screwed up royally and didn’t even make it out of the group stages making them the first hosts to be knocked out at that early stage. Maybe Japan will follow this time.

Full story: https://londoninspire.co.uk/rugby-world-cup-what-are-chances-of-an-england-win/

1RHcVpx.jpg

-- © Copyright London Inspire in Thailand

Follow London Inspire on Facebook

22 minutes ago, EL159 said:

Are Australia planning to use sandpaper or another artificial aid, following in the footsteps of other Australian teams?! Cant win without cheating and sledging it seems! Perhaps Warner and Weird little Stevie will be used as mentors?!

Mike Atherton - England v South Africa, Lord's, 1994

Sachin Tendulkar - South Africa v India, Port Elizabeth, 2001

Inzamam ul-Haq - England v Pakistan, The Oval, 2006

Shahid Afridi - Australia v Pakistan, Perth, 2010

Faf du Plessis - Australia v South Africa, Hobart 2016

A bit like Doping in Cycling, they were all at it - only a few got caught. 

Smith was the latest - a Genius with the Bat, perhaps not at hiding his dishonesty. 

Back on topic to the Rugby - we [England] have to be careful with our cheating / discipline we have a couple of players who were quite close to getting themselves sent off recently.... So there's no point in crying about the Aussies, let them to the crying about the British instead - Personally, I reckon England can go all the way, I'd also like to see Ireland and Wales do well. 

I'd hope Scotland could to well, but really doubt they have the squad. 

I'm off there in a few days for a couple of games.... should be fun.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

England fans better hope and pray Tuilangi doesn't get hurt. He's the one player in the team who can break a deadlock. Otherwise it's NZ all the way - the ABs pack, while perhaps not quite so settled as yet, has a good feel about it with some good ball skills among the tight five (where England might be a bit suspect). I think the ABs backs also have more flair and versatility than England. And depth. 

2 hours ago, statman78 said:

Looking forward to the matches.  Will they be on TV in Thailand? If so, how can I watch?

A few weeks ago Truevisions were contacted by someone on here and told that True "will be showing, wait for announcement".  Starts Friday, no announcement, no sign of any channel covering it, so the person contacted must have been lying, guessing, or had no idea. Take your choice!

20 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

England fans better hope and pray Tuilangi doesn't get hurt. He's the one player in the team who can break a deadlock. Otherwise it's NZ all the way - the ABs pack, while perhaps not quite so settled as yet, has a good feel about it with some good ball skills among the tight five (where England might be a bit suspect). I think the ABs backs also have more flair and versatility than England. And depth. 

Do not disagree but South Africa can upset them if at their best. Have not seen the northern hemisphere teams to comment.

Just had a look at the odds in Australia with NZ @ $2.40 but @ $5.00 to be runner up. If you believe they will make the final you could back them to win and save on the runner up at those prices.

• Like 1

I was told after 3 emails to them that Truevisions is NOT showing the RWC.

First time that UBC or now True are not showing in 28 years that I know of.

Useless mob who spend millions of USD for the round ball game every week but

not prepared to pay a bit to Be In  (who I know have the rights) for this 

21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Mike Atherton - England v South Africa, Lord's, 1994

Sachin Tendulkar - South Africa v India, Port Elizabeth, 2001

Inzamam ul-Haq - England v Pakistan, The Oval, 2006

Shahid Afridi - Australia v Pakistan, Perth, 2010

Faf du Plessis - Australia v South Africa, Hobart 2016

A bit like Doping in Cycling, they were all at it - only a few got caught. 

Smith was the latest - a Genius with the Bat, perhaps not at hiding his dishonesty. 

Back on topic to the Rugby - we [England] have to be careful with our cheating / discipline we have a couple of players who were quite close to getting themselves sent off recently.... So there's no point in crying about the Aussies, let them to the crying about the British instead - Personally, I reckon England can go all the way, I'd also like to see Ireland and Wales do well. 

I'd hope Scotland could to well, but really doubt they have the squad. 

I'm off there in a few days for a couple of games.... should be fun.

Geez! The biggest cheaters in Rugby Union are the Wallabies. I remember seeing them get beat in 1970's by the East Midlands whilst on tour. After that, they got good, very good, with some excellent players. As they started to wane they became cheats and the biggest moaners to referees. Hopper used to spend so much time offside many spectators thought he was playing for the opposition! Their back line constantly infringes the off-side line, more that any other team in WR and their scrum halves have made crooked feeding the scrum their norm, often feeding the second row. Aussie officials were the most blatantly biased in the over 50 years I've watched rugby. And probably facilitated the introduction of neutral officials more than any other factor.

Number of Aussie swimmers and athletes also been caught cheating. Australia sadly seems to have become a win at all costs culture. Bugging the All Black hotel rooms says it all - and they still lost!

My two-peneth:

All Blacks must be favorite. They are the team to beat but perhaps not as good as in the last few years.

South Africa have bounced back from the disasters under previous coach. Looked awesome in their last few matches and have a much stronger squad now.

England played very well in the warm ups, especially after a poor 6 nations. 

Ireland went off the boil. They rebounded with two fine wins over Wales after being thrashed by England. I like the balance Schmidt usually achieves with his teams. But they need to keep their consistency. 

Wales talking a good fight as Gatland always does. They rebounded from the thrashing they got at Twickenham by narrowly beating England in a very tight game in Cardiff before loosing home and away to Ireland. Won't be helped by Howley being sent home and the betting scandal. They might do well in tight low scoring games against the better opposition.

France and Scotland can play with some flair. But both lack consistency and can also play abysmally. 

Australia did great against the 14 man All Blacks and then got soundly thrashed the following week. If all clicks at the same time they can play some amazing attacking rugby. Trouble is, it rarely clicks at the moment. 

The others are there to play, have nothing to loose and might spring the odd surprise. But no chance to win the cup.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

Geez! The biggest cheaters in Rugby Union are the Wallabies. I remember seeing them get beat in 1970's by the East Midlands whilst on tour. After that, they got good, very good, with some excellent players. As they started to wane they became cheats and the biggest moaners to referees. Hopper used to spend so much time offside many spectators thought he was playing for the opposition! Their back line constantly infringes the off-side line, more that any other team in WR and their scrum halves have made crooked feeding the scrum their norm, often feeding the second row. Aussie officials were the most blatantly biased in the over 50 years I've watched rugby. And probably facilitated the introduction of neutral officials more than any other factor.

Number of Aussie swimmers and athletes also been caught cheating. Australia sadly seems to have become a win at all costs culture. Bugging the All Black hotel rooms says it all - and they still lost!

Now, now, time to have a Bex and a good lie down.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

Do not disagree but South Africa can upset them if at their best. Have not seen the northern hemisphere teams to comment.

Just had a look at the odds in Australia with NZ @ $2.40 but @ $5.00 to be runner up. If you believe they will make the final you could back them to win and save on the runner up at those prices.

The Sarfies have many great players, many match-winners, but they don't seem to be brothers in arms like the ABs. The kind of moral support that the Kiwis give each other could make the difference at crunch time. Watch out for S'bu Nkosi - this young man is a real excitement machine. His battle against George Bridge (I think) or Sevu Reece could be awesome.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...