90/180 Law Clarification Please

Hi,

Im travelling to BKK for my first time and have been reading all the visa types and descriptions and the border runs. Everytime I think I understand everything I read information that seems to conflict with each other.

1) Does the new 90/180 rule only apply to "Visa Exemption aka Visa on Arrival" visas? In other words, if I come in with a Travel Visa does the 90/180 rule apply?

2) If this is true why would people not just have Travel Visas? Just to avoid the fee?

3) My Travel Visa will be 60 days and then I understand I can get the 30 day extension right in BKK.

Can you only get 1 30 day extension in BKK or before the 30 days is up can I apply in BKK?

4) Back to the 90/180 law - if I can't get another 30 day extensionin BKK ( and Id be at 90 days at that point). As long as I leave and get another Tourist Visa does the 90 day rule apply and might get refused entry or is it just Visa Exemptions that have the problem?

Thanks for your help!

1. Yes/No.

2. Your answer is as good as anyone.

3. Yes/Yes and you can apply early as the 30 days will start from the end of your 60 day stamp.

4. You get one 30 day extension of a tourist visa entry. You can most likely obtain another tourist visa and do the same. The 90 day rule is for visa exempt entry.

Made a small write up,please take your time to read it throughoutly.

I hope it covers all.

The new regulation , valid for entries AFTER the 1.10.2006 affects only people entering Thailand on the 30-day visa exempt stamp , which is NOT a Tourist Visa as many think .

The regulation stipulates that visitors can only spend 90 days out of every SIX-MONTH period on the visa-exempt stamp. Days spent in Thailand on any kind of visa do not count towards that 90-day total.

Further, Immigration only counts the days actually spent within Thai borders, as long as you don’t exceed 90 days in a SIX-MONTH period, the number of visa-exempt entries are unlimited.

Please calculate your days very carefully. There is NO emergency visa allowance at the border.

Following scenario is possible : get a Tourist Visa at a Embassy/Consulate in a neighboring country which is valid for a stay of 60 day , after that period you can apply at the BKK Immigration@ Soi Suan Plu for a extension of 30days for THB 1,900.-.

A Tourist Visa will always be extended for 30days.

Extension of a Visa exempt stamp and any Non Immigrant Visa will be granted for 7 days only.

After this you can do 3 x 30 days Border runs and apply again for a Tourist Visa or you can extent any of the 30day visa exempt stamp at a Immigration Office .

Please remember you are allowed to stay only 90days with a visa exempt stamp (3x30days) in any SIX-MONTH period starting after your first entry since 1 of October 2006. Each entry counts !

To plan your trip to Laos please refer to the Office and Holiday Schedule for Year 2007 of the Thai Embassy and Consulate in Laos.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/about_officetime.html

To plan your trip to Malaysia please contact the Thai Embassy and Consulate in Malaysia directly , they do not have a webpage.

If you are not sure about the days you have spend in the country please pm me and give following specific and complete information.

Example:

1. Entry @ Airport 11.10.06 exit @ Ban Laem 9.11.06, 30days, visa type: visa exempt

2. Entry @ Ban Laem 9.11.06 exit@ Mukdahan 7.12.06, 29 days, visa type: visa exempt

Enter @ Mukdahan 8.12.06 exit @ Ban Laem 5.2.07 , 60days, and visa type: Tourist Visa

Extension Immigration Office for 30days , THB 1,900.- , extension until 6.3.07

3.Entry @ Ban Laem 6.3.07 permission to stay until 4.4.07 , 30 days , visa type : visa exempt

Immigration will allow this person back into the Country with a 30day visa exempt stamp on 10.4.07.

This person has now two possibilies .

A: Get another Extension (THB 1,900.-) for 7 days at the Immigration and re-enter Thailand on the 10.4.07 with a 30day visa waiver stamp to start a new SIX-MONTH period with 3x30days border runs .

B: Apply on/before the 4.407 for a new Tourist Visa.

We recommend that you apply for the extension at the Immigration Office.

Visit a Thai Embassy/Consulate twice a year to get a Tourist Visa, or going legal is set to get easier.

Foreigners can convert their 30day visa exempt stamp to a Non-Immigrant Visa by going to the Immigration Department with the proper documents and 21 day stay remaining, meaning you have up to 9 days time after your entry. Application fee THB 2,000.- .

Please note that your Passport needs to be valid for at least another 6 month for any Visa application.

Further info on MFA webpage : http://www.mfa.go.th/web/12.php

All Embassies/Consulates in SEA will issue only Single Entry Tourist Visas.

I hope it covers all.

The new regulation , valid for entries AFTER the 1.10.2006 affects only people entering Thailand on the 30-day visa exempt stamp , which is NOT a Tourist Visa as many think .

The regulation stipulates that visitors can only spend 90 days out of every SIX-MONTH period on the visa-exempt stamp. Days spent in Thailand on any kind of visa do not count towards that 90-day total.

Further, Immigration only counts the days actually spent within Thai borders, as long as you don’t exceed 90 days in a SIX-MONTH period, the number of visa-exempt entries are unlimited.

Please calculate your days very carefully. There is NO emergency visa allowance at the border.

Following scenario is possible : get a Tourist Visa at a Embassy/Consulate in a neighboring country which is valid for a stay of 60 day , after that period you can apply at the BKK Immigration@ Soi Suan Plu for a extension of 30days for THB 1,900.-.

Extension of a Visa exempt stamp and any Non Immigrant Visa will be granted for 7 days only.

After this you can do 3 x 30 days Border runs and apply again for a Tourist Visa or you can extent any of the 30day visa exempt stamp at a Immigration Office .

Please remember you are allowed to stay only 90days with a visa exempt stamp (3x30days) in any SIX-MONTH period starting after your first entry since 1 of October 2006. Each entry counts !

To plan your trip to Laos please refer to the Office and Holiday Schedule for Year 2007 of the Thai Embassy and Consulate in Laos.

To plan your trip to Malaysia please contact the Thai Embassy and Consulate in Malaysia directly , they do not have a webpage.

If you are not sure about the days you have spend in the country please pm me and give following specific and complete information.

Example:

1. Entry @ Airport 11.10.06 exit @ Ban Laem 9.11.06, 30days, visa type: visa exempt

2. Entry @ Ban Laem 9.11.06 exit@ Mukdahan 7.12.06, 29 days, visa type: visa exempt

Enter @ Mukdahan 8.12.06 exit @ Ban Laem 5.2.07 , 60days, and visa type: Tourist Visa

3.Entry @ Ban Laem 6.3.07 permission to stay until 4.4.07 , 30 days , visa type : visa exempt

Immigration will allow this person back into the Country with a 30day visa exempt stamp on 10.4.07.

A: Get another Extension (THB 1,900.-) for 7 days at the Immigration and re-enter Thailand on the 10.4.07 with a 30day visa waiver stamp to start a new SIX-MONTH period with 3x30days border runs .

Visit a Thai Embassy/Consulate twice a year to get a Tourist Visa, or going legal is set to get easier.

Foreigners can convert their 30day visa exempt stamp to a Non-Immigrant Visa by going to the Immigration Department with the proper documents and 21 day stay remaining, meaning you have up to 9 days time after your entry. Application fee THB 2,000.- .

Please note that your Passport needs to be valid for at least another 6 month for any Visa application.

A clear, concise and absolutely brilliant exposition..........this should be pinned!!

I will summarise the way I think it goes now after reading the above:

1. You get a visa-exempt stamp for 30 days on your first arrival.

2. When this is up, you go across a border to a Thai consulate to get a 60-day tourist visa.

3. You can extend this in Thailand at an immigration office for 30 days for 1,900 Baht.

4. You can then make 3 30-days visa-exempt runs to a non-consulate border.

The actual start of your 6-month period is after you get the first 2-month tourist visa. For most people first entering Bkk from their home countries by air, this will be the 30-day visa exempt.

If you hate immigration offices, then you can just pass up the visit to the office in-country to extend the tourist visa. This way, you are making a trip to a consulate in a neighboring country every 5 months.

I prefer this because having to make the trip prevents you from getting rusty, and keeps you updated with the situation at the neighboring country.

sarpesius

4. You can then make (CORRECTION 2 )only 30-days visa-exempt runs to a non-consulate border.

The actual start of your 6-month period is (CORRECTION FIRST ENTRY)after you get the first 2-month tourist visa. For most people first entering Bkk from their home countries by air, this will be the 30-day visa exempt.

If you hate immigration offices, then you can just pass up the visit to the office in-country to extend the tourist visa. This way, you are making a trip to a consulate in a neighboring country every 5 months.

I prefer this because having to make the trip prevents you from getting rusty, and keeps you updated with the situation at the neighboring country.

sarpesius

Based on above scenario you can extent one of the 30day visa-exempt stamp for 7 days , this will bring you over the 180days.

I hope it covers all.

Further, Immigration only counts the days actually spent within Thai borders, as long as you don't exceed 90 days in a SIX-MONTH period, the number of visa-exempt entries are unlimited.

Example:

Wow, Really good information! Probably the best I've seen so far - But I need some clarification, please.

At one point you say, 'Extension of a Visa exempt stamp and any Non Immigrant Visa will be granted for 7 days only.' at another point you state 'Foreigners can convert their 30day visa exempt stamp to a Non-Immigrant Visa by going to the Immigration Department with the proper documents and 21 day stay remaining'.

1. So, I guess that an extention and a conversion are two very different things?

2. How can a person convert to the non-immigrant visa once they are in-country? For example, I am attending a Thai university and need to do that if it really is possible. How can I do this?

3. If you are trying to get a 30 day extention on a 60 day visa, do you have to do that while there are still 21 days, or any other number of days still left on the 60 day visa?

4. I do not understand what you mean when you say, 'Visit a Thai Embassy/Consulate twice a year to get a Tourist Visa, or going legal is set to get easier.'

5. After I complete my degree, is there any way I can stay in the country even though I am not yet 50 years old? My dependent spouse, also not yet 50, is handicapped. Does that make any difference?

Thanks!

1. Yes , extension and conversion/change of status are different things.

2. As said with proper documents and 21days remaning you can apply for a change in status , your school should be able to help.

3. The extension of a Tourist Visa can be done on the last day of your stay at any Immigration office.

4. Many people have been working during their stay on a visa-exempt stamp , they are now being forced to apply for Tourist Visas (as many people still not qualify for a work permit ).

The persons which qualify for any other Type of Non Immigrant Visa (retired,married)can apply according to their requirement.

5. Not knowing your personal situation it's difficult to advise , but finding a work with work permit is a option.