Advice needed about where and how to arrive in Myanmar

Katherine Patient

Hi there,

I am visiting a friend in Chang Mai and not sure which would be the best way to enter Myanmar. I could fly or travel overland and enter through a border crossing. I have no plans at the moment and would be grateful for some advice. Any indication of how long it would take if I chose to go overland would be great. I think it might be much quicker to fly but unsure if travelling overland would be more interesting and any suggested routes would be helpful.

I look forward to hearing from somebody.

Katherine

Tough to give advice when you don't know where you are going or how you plan on getting there but.....

From Chiang Mai head north by bus (Green Bus company are excellent) to Mae Sai then cross the border to Tachilek then by bus to Kengtung. If you leave at crack of dawn you can make it in one day. Cost around 1,000baht. 

Head south to Mae Sot by bus then cross to Myawaddy and on to Mawlamyine or Hpa-An. Cost around 1,000-1,200baht.

Fly Bangkok Airways to Mandalay or Rangoon. Cost 7,500baht return and takes an hour.

You'll need an e visa which are valid for 30 days and issued typically within 24hours. Official site is https://evisa.moip.gov.mm/

Anything else tap away.

Enjoy Burma

90% of tourists ONLY visit the big 4, ( Mandalay, Bagan,Inle lake, Yangon)

FLY in from Bangkok on air asia into Mandalay, (arrives around noon)  spend 2-3 days there, visiting  the city and nearby Ancient cites. Take the boat downriver to Bagan ( 9 hours) and spend 2 days in Bagan, Mini bus or inexpensive flight to Inle lake (most tourist love it there, i found it the most touristy Unlike Burmese city in the whole country and willnever go back there)   1 day on the lake

overnight VIP bus down to Yangon an back to Bangkok

You can add on to trips out of Mandalay to Hsipaw, ( currently closed due to fighting in the area)
or out of Yangon to golden rock, Hip-an and overland back to Thailand

or or or

lots of choices,  its very enjoyable country to visit an travel in via Planes,Boats,Trains, Bus,Taxi's,Horse carts,Motorcycles.....

Read up on the country....

Note; Evisa is ONLY valid for 28 days NOT 30

If you enter via Mae Sot you can ONLY travel overland as far as Kentung at which point you need fly..

Archived