Vietnam monthly apartment, room or hotel rentals

Langkawee

15 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Loads of ATMs everywhere, it worked out at 694kvnd/1,000tbh using my Bankok bank debit card including all fees.

Thanks for the reply, is this 1000 THB is the max limit to withdraw from an ATM machine in Vietnam?

is it possible to open a bank account with $US while living there on a multiple tourist visa for 3 months?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Langkawee said:

I got an air-con dorm, Meow Hostel, Hanoi Old Quarter, paid in cash 58,500 dong (77 baht) but booked on Agoda without debit card. Walk in rates are almost double at 100,000 dong. sitting upstairs in Circle K, 2 x 500ml ice cold German Becks beer cans 34,000 dong, 17,000 dong each. That's 22 baht a 500ml can.  

Jesus staying in a dorm room and sharing with 8 other stinky back packers? How did you end up like that at your age

19 hours ago, lexlam said:

comparing to Thailand, how much the rent of a studio of a single person, not necessary to be in midle city center,

Vietnam seems to be rooms in a Hanoi family home $150 to $250, whereas in Thailand $30 to $50 a month. Apartments in Hanoi  $300 up, HCMC $130 UP. Thailand apartments $50 up (Saphan Mai Bangkok) , $120 IN Thai provinces for something really nice tee-pak.com Unless someone shows me otherwise Thailand the far better deal for a roof over your head. Thailand rarely dual pricing for monthly whereas Vietnam pricing according to perceived wealth. And Thailand good security. I don't know about Vietnam. However it's only what I've found. It's probable that the local price is less than Thailand. The question is can farang get the local price like a farang can get cheap beer in Vietnam 555

3 hours ago, lexlam said:

Thanks for the reply, is this 1000 THB is the max limit to withdraw from an ATM machine in Vietnam?

is it possible to open a bank account with $US while living there on a multiple tourist visa for 3 months?

Max limit for the machines I used, BIDV atm (or summit like that).

2 million vnd = 2750bht

12 hours ago, Langkawee said:

Vietnam seems to be rooms in a Hanoi family home $150 to $250, whereas in Thailand $30 to $50 a month. Apartments in Hanoi  $300 up, HCMC $130 UP. Thailand apartments $50 up (Saphan Mai Bangkok) , $120 IN Thai provinces for something really nice tee-pak.com Unless someone shows me otherwise Thailand the far better deal for a roof over your head. Thailand rarely dual pricing for monthly whereas Vietnam pricing according to perceived wealth. And Thailand good security. I don't know about Vietnam. However it's only what I've found. It's probable that the local price is less than Thailand. The question is can farang get the local price like a farang can get cheap beer in Vietnam 555

Are u saying that for cheapskates Thailand offers the most?

What i am saying is that if i loose 80k on a monthly basis for just myself  in Thailand that this figure is going to be very similar to the amount that i will loose in Vietnam.. The difference is that in Vietnam Visas are easy and beaches seems better and they got a cooler climate.

12 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Max limit for the machines I used, BIDV atm (or summit like that).

2 million vnd = 2750bht

asked when someone was pulling money out of a citicorp atm they replied max 6 million dong.

me i took enough dollars and dong from exchanges in cambodia to get me thru so didnt use the atms.

exchanged dollars at banks buy/sell differential was minimal.

banks also said cant change back to dollars from dong. also said cant open an account without long term work permit, didnt ask too many as also was told cant extend my visa on most recent visit.

can change dong to dollars in cambodia at selected exchanges

err not exactly cant extend visa but must pay $250 to extend which is ludicrous since bus from hcmc where i was is about 10usd to phnom penh then 3 month visa when it was available was 60usd one entry, so doing the extension that way would be less than 100usd 

9 minutes ago, dafniusDuckus said:

hmm about the usd you exchange at viet banks, they need to be whole with not even minor cuts tears and have no writing or ink spot on them else they wont exchange them

yeah, they are dicks about that. will sit there and fondle each bill just looking for a reason to refuse.

they do it in cambo also. always get 90 and not 100 in cambo because the atm always gives a 100 bill and you dont want to get stuck with a 100 you cant spend.

On 9/25/2019 at 10:03 AM, seasia said:

It is in the TVF visa section though, those who have moved to Vietnam or are living there might not be too much interested in Thai visas etc.

Probably had their fill of 'em.

That's why they've gone to Vietnam.

2 hours ago, dafniusDuckus said:

asked when someone was pulling money out of a citicorp atm they replied max 6 million dong.

me i took enough dollars and dong from exchanges in cambodia to get me thru so didnt use the atms.

exchanged dollars at banks buy/sell differential was minimal.

banks also said cant change back to dollars from dong. also said cant open an account without long term work permit, didnt ask too many as also was told cant extend my visa on most recent visit.

can change dong to dollars in cambodia at selected exchanges

err not exactly cant extend visa but must pay $250 to extend which is ludicrous since bus from hcmc where i was is about 10usd to phnom penh then 3 month visa when it was available was 60usd one entry, so doing the extension that way would be less than 100usd 

Generally speaking, ATMs only issue up to 30 bills, so if the maximum bill size is 500,000 Dong, I would expect them to be able to dispense up to 15Million (30 x 500,000) Dong, but it's been a long time since I've been in VN and don't recall using an ATM there so not sure if they only issue 50,000/100,000 which would put the maximum at 1.5/3Million Dong

NB, Citi has been rolling out ATMs that will issue 50 bills, so this would obviously increase the amount of money you could get in 1 visit.

On 10/19/2019 at 11:50 AM, dafniusDuckus said:

before you start becoming too comfortable in vietnam, reports are coming in of embassys only giving 1 month visas whereas before the would give 3 months no problem. so hold off on purchasing your transport, white goods, etc till we see how this pans out. 

That's a very surprising thing to hear, but I wouldn't give it ANY credence without actually seeing embassy notifications and such. It would obviously show a negative change in attitude by the VN gov't to long(ish) stays by foreigners in the country and would have a very substantial effect on many of them, so if anyone can confirm this abrupt and confusing change that has been mentioned, please provide links, etc.   

18 minutes ago, Inn Between said:

That's a very surprising thing to hear, but I wouldn't give it ANY credence without actually seeing embassy notifications and such. It would obviously show a negative change in attitude by the VN gov't to long(ish) stays by foreigners in the country and would have a very substantial effect on many of them, so if anyone can confirm this abrupt and confusing change that has been mentioned, please provide links, etc.   

I just got a one year multi entry tourist visa today.  $35US to the visa company and $135US at the airport on entry. I'm not aware of any issues.  

56 minutes ago, griffon2011 said:

I just got a one year multi entry tourist visa today.  $35US to the visa company and $135US at the airport on entry. I'm not aware of any issues.  

Are you American? I hear only Yanks can get one year visa (which is needed to open a bank account).

Cant see anyone moving to Vietnam permanently if you cannot open a bank account cuz you cannot get a one year visa.

Anyone got further info?

6 hours ago, Inn Between said:

A few replys have been total BS, I just received my 3 month visa for this winter, and I paid $100 not $250 to extend last year.

12 hours ago, Inn Between said:

This is one of the bigger online visa agents.

They are still offering 3 month multiple entry visa on arrival for $43 to the agent, and $50 to immigration at the airport.

I checked a couple of others and they are also still offering 3 month multiple entry visas. 

https://www.myvietnamvisa.com/

10 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Are you American? I hear only Yanks can get one year visa (which is needed to open a bank account).

Cant see anyone moving to Vietnam permanently if you cannot open a bank account cuz you cannot get a one year visa.

Anyone got further info?

Yes, he must be American.  They are currently the only ones who can get a 1 year visa, but 1 year visas will return for other nationalities in the future.

You can open a bank account on a 3 month visas.

9 hours ago, Leaver said:

Yes, he must be American.  They are currently the only ones who can get a 1 year visa, but 1 year visas will return for other nationalities in the future.

You can open a bank account on a 3 month visas.

And we complain about ever changing Thai regulations.... not so different elsewhere is it. Totally unpredictable and unstable.

And to think that the Yanks bombed the <deleted> out of the place... yet they are the ones getting the 1 year visa?

10 hours ago, Leaver said:

Which leaves out VN for me if I decide to relocate. 

Cambodia offer 1 year visas and has done so for several years. 

3 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

And we complain about ever changing Thai regulations.... not so different elsewhere is it. Totally unpredictable and unstable.

And to think that the Yanks bombed the <deleted> out of the place... yet they are the ones getting the 1 year visa?

Visa extensions are much easier to obtain in Vietnam hence the exodus.

On 10/22/2019 at 11:18 AM, scubascuba3 said:
On 10/22/2019 at 10:51 AM, Leaver said:
This is one of the bigger online visa agents.

They are still offering 3 month multiple entry visa on arrival for $43 to the agent, and $50 to immigration at the airport.

I checked a couple of others and they are also still offering 3 month multiple entry visas. 

https://www.myvietnamvisa.com/

You can't just do it on arrival?

You do sort of get it on arrival, but you need to arrange an "Invitation" (IIRC it is or at least was called a "Letter of Invitation") from an online "Agent" before you arrive.

Process goes, you contact one of the online agencies, pay them the $43 and they send you the paperwork to visit Vietnam, then when you arrive in Vietnam, you pay $50 and get your 3 month Visa. 

Not too long ago you had to do this to enter the country anyway, nowadays there is limited visa exempt (As I Brit I think it's 14 days but you're only allowed to do it once within a certain number of months, 3 or 4).

My 1st trip to Vietnam (2008) never happened as me & my mate rocked up at Changi airport and with no Visa or Letter of Invitation were rejected at check-in, fortunately this was in the days where we were PPS (SIngapore AIrlines Privileged Flyer Scheme) members so a quick visit to SIA ticket desk & $10 had us on a flight to Phuket within the hour (love Changi airport). 

Archived