Major Thai stores to stop giving out plastic bags by 2020 - minister

webfact

They should put everything in large plastic bags that can be repurposed for trash. Studies have shown equal rise in plastic 'trash bag' purchases as stores stopped giving out bags.

While I'm throughly against all this triple bagging nonsense I think a valid case can be made people in developing countries are healthier, hygiene better with the availability of plastic bags.

It's not necessarily the plastic, certainly bags that fill landfills.

Considering in this day and age everything that can conceivably be made of plastic is. Then encased in plastic and or triple bagged.

Why doesn't the world reject plastic products? That would be helpful. Just think of all the petroleum freed up as well.

Kneejerk, SJW thinking.

1 hour ago, Tropposurfer said:

Who on TV wants to form a company to invest in development of a range of bamboo containers for takeaway food? 

Yes, often thought of this. Blown, molded fiberboard. Paper just costs more so Thai vendors go for cheap. Who can blame them, how much profit is in a b30 meal poor fuxxers.

• Like 1

Some 5-6 years ago Big C had made greenish cloth bags with a tree (if I remember well) and something written as "save the planet". They were on sale at the checkouts. Grabbed one as thought it was a good idea. So the cashier scanned it and... put it in a plastic bag 555. It was too early for the change !

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Companies in the programme include CPALL Pcl <CPALL.BK>, which operates more than 10,000 7-Eleven convenience stores in Thailand, and the country's largest retailer, Central Group.

They will be switching to bags made from woven straws.

21 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Or cassava - could become a growth industry in Thailand:

Cassava is not politically correct.....Please do not bring this up the greenies will get their panties in a wad......They want no single use bags period...No exceptions for biodegradables.....

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

You do find yourself at the store on occasion when you were unaware that you needed to buy something.

I don't mind to buy a bag when I don't have a bag. Seems weird not to offer that option.

How about at the mall when you go from store to store you are going to have items in your bag that you already paid for but it is going to look like you just tossed them in while at the new store. it's going to drive security nuts. Used to be you had to leave your bags at customer service before you went in to some stores, like Macro and Big C. No you are going to go in with an armload of bags.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Expect civil war at 7/11 stores....

The 3 7/11's on Koh Samed don't supply plastic bags (in fact plastic is banned across the whole island) but they do offer alternative bags at 5,10 and 15 baht which is important.  It seems to work there why not elsewhere?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sanemax said:

How would you get your groceries back to your house, if ALL shops stop using plastic bags ?

How did anyone manage before plastic???

I do think it's essential that an alternative is available at stores, as in Villa and others.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HHTel said:

The 3 7/11's on Koh Samed don't supply plastic bags (in fact plastic is banned across the whole island) but they do offer alternative bags at 5,10 and 15 baht which is important.  It seems to work there why not elsewhere?

What bags do they offer as an alternative at those prices?

What's the big deal? Once the public gets use to the idea of bringing their own bags, They'll do it. I suggest starting by charging 10 baht a bag the remaining months of this year and you'll see the appearance  of a lot of cloth bags next year. I also suggest people invest into a backpack if they don't already have one.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, zydeco said:

What the hell do you know about my situation? I had other places to go while in that mall, including a visit to a shoe repairman who was also going to give me a large package to carry out an hour later? Am I supposed to walk around the mall for an hour with cardboard boxes full of food? Can't take a cart, because I needed to go up and down escalators on different levels. You self righteous little prigs preen about your specific situation and want to stamp it on everyone else, when there are other considerations. Here's a clue: not everybody is like you and different people have different concerns. 

Yes , I am able to plan my trip to the supermarket and get home with all my goods .

Try going everywhere else first , get your shoes fixed first , then just before you go home , go to the supermarket and buy your groceries and put them in a plastic bag that you took from home .

Life can be easy , if you  plan ahead .

3 hours ago, sanemax said:

Yes , I am able to plan my trip to the supermarket and get home with all my goods .

Try going everywhere else first , get your shoes fixed first , then just before you go home , go to the supermarket and buy your groceries and put them in a plastic bag that you took from home .

Nope no planning ahead from me......I want FREE plastic bags when I buy some thing.......End of discussion...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Nope no planning ahead from me......I want FREE plastic bags when I buy some thing.......End of discussion...

Fair enough dont plan ahead and keep going to shops where there are NO free plastic bags and keep leaving your  grocerys on the conveyor belt and keep going home without any food ............up to you

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, sanemax said:

Shoes were being repaired while I went grocery shopping. And some of us have a life. We don't arrange everything around a trip to a grocery store. Sometimes, it's a matter of sudden opportunity. What do you do all day, sit on the porch and shell peas?

3 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Yep, today, I let my graduate seminar out about 20 minutes early. Just enough time to get a taxi and get to Foodland before the 5 pm rush. Plenty of free plastic bags. I asked for a couple extra just to feel good.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, zydeco said:

Shoes were being repaired while I went grocery shopping. And some of us have a life. We don't arrange everything around a trip to a grocery store. Sometimes, it's a matter of sudden opportunity. What do you do all day, sit on the porch and shell peas?

No, I put a plastic bag into my pocket and if I go to A  grocery store, I put my groceries into the plastic bag, so that I can carry my groceries home.

If thats too difficult to remember , they do have printed  diagrams explaining in detail how to do it  

12 hours ago, zydeco said:

Yep, today, I let my graduate seminar out about 20 minutes early. Just enough time to get a taxi and get to Foodland before the 5 pm rush. Plenty of free plastic bags. I asked for a couple extra just to feel good.

As a teacher , you are supposed to be responsible, intelligent and mature.

Teaching kids how to solve problems , rather than displaying to pupils that if they are presented with a problem, the best way to solve the problem is too attack it and take revenge ???? 

Another study reveals more single use plastic.

Full article:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49845940

Microplastics: Premium teabags leak billions of particles - study

Some premium tea bags might be leaving billions of microscopic plastic particles in your cup, new research suggests.

Canadian researchers found that some plastic tea bags shed high levels of microplastics into water.

Microplastics have widely been found in the environment, in tap and bottled waters, and in some foods.

The World Health Organization (WHO) says such particles in drinking water do not appear to pose a risk.

But the WHO said the findings were based on "limited information" and it called for greater research on the issue.

The researchers, from McGill University in Montreal, Canada, also called for more investigation into the health effects of microplastics, defined as small (less than 5mm in length) pieces of any kind of plastic debris.

For the study, they bought four different commercial teas packaged in plastic teabags.

Most teabags are made from paper, but some premium brands have switched to using a type of plastic mesh instead for their product.

The researchers removed the tea and placed the empty teabags in water heated to 95C (203F), as if they were brewing tea.

They found that a single plastic teabag released about 11.6bn microplastic and 3.1bn smaller nanoplastic particles into the hot water. The particles are completely invisible to the naked eye.

On 9/26/2019 at 6:23 PM, zydeco said:

I'm with you on this. Much of my grocery shopping is unplanned and spur of the moment. For example, I'm at Terminal 21 or Central and decide I want to buy some groceries. These unplanned excursions into the grocery store can lead to several thousand baht I need to take home on the motorcycle.  

• Like 1