What models does Grand Filano share its engine with?

VocalNeal

Maybe the Fino 125?  Was there an air-cooled GT 125?  https://global.yamaha-motor.com/news/2015/0831/fino125.html

The new Fino125 features an air-cooled 125cc engine developed using the BLUE CORE concept, which delivers both riding enjoyment as well as excellent fuel efficiency and environmental performance. While the displacement has been expanded compared to the current 115cc Fino, the new model achieves similar fuel efficiency and riding performance. This model is another to feature the BLUE CORE engine, following on from the Grand Filano, launched in 2014, and the GT125, launched in 2015.

14 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

Tuning may be limited to exhaust  , some head porting and clutch weights.

Over bore to 200cc. (think I'd go 190 or whatever 1mm down from max is) Big valve head, cam, Aftermarket ECU, all off the shelf parts. If they are compatible with Filano hence the question. I'm leaning to it being the same as Mio.

Not 100% that I really like the Filano styling but mulling as a project alternative to Vespa 150 as all parts are local and not exorbitantly expensive.

Mentioning Vespa here is like mentioning the word boat in the rest of the world. All of a sudden common parts double in price or more.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Henryford said:

Why would anyone want to tune a 125cc scooter?

Why tune anything then? 

Answer? same as tuning a Ferrari.  Because we can. And it maybe be 200 by the time I finish. 

To quote or paraphrase Carlo Abarth "Anyone can get power our of a large engine but it takes an artist to get power out of a small engine" 

I was going to say it is nice to sit at the lights in or on something with a lumpy idle. This might be misconstrued by those who who confuse a big air-cooled twins loud idle for lumpy. 

Edited by VocalNeal

5 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Over bore to 200cc. (think I'd go 190 or whatever 1mm down from max is) Big valve head, cam, Aftermarket ECU, all off the shelf parts. If they are compatible with Filano hence the question. I'm leaning to it being the same as Mio.

Not 100% that I really like the Filano styling but mulling as a project alternative to Vespa 150 as all parts are local and not exorbitantly expensive.

Mentioning Vespa here is like mentioning the word boat in the rest of the world. All of a sudden common parts double in price or more.

The 150 Vespa parts are not expensive if buy local (agree stay away from western imports) - check out these in BKK https://www.facebook.com/bigdaddymotoclub

Seen that site before. Not much that really appealed, me being a bit older than their normal clientele. Anything mechanical they have is imported and over priced compared to where it comes from. Having lived in Indonesia, I am spoilt. 

I might still go Vespa as I have a collection of parts. But. Me being karma-like it depends on which model shows it head first. Already had a vespa in the bag but circumstances conspired against me.

Edited by VocalNeal

9 hours ago, Issanman said:

The Yamaha GT125 that came out in 2015 and is still being sold is air-cooled. 

I know the Mio is liquid cooled. Wasnt sure about the GT.  So the Filano engine may be the same as the GT , Fino and maybe the Q-Bix.  With cams , ECU,s etc there is  power to be squeezed out. Or go for a Scomadi 200 or a Vespa ( 300 GTS ) !.

^ large frame Vespa is a little large for my needs. It is more about having something a little different than the actual scooter itself or maybe surprising a guy on an Aerox.  Quite easy to knock 10 secs off the 0- 80 kph time!

Attached from a Vespa converted to 190. i wouldn't use the overpriced exhaust but...

vespa_mods_performance_9.5 sliders.jpeg

Scomadi is good but not sure what engine that is and what bits one can buy for it.

I'll look at GT125 specs etc. thank you. Filano still has a kick start so that might end up being a clue. 

Edited by VocalNeal

From 125cc to 200cc? You might need to change the entire cylinder block as the stock block won't be able to bore up that much. 

Bigger cc means need more fuel, so a new ECU, bigger valves. More fuel also need more ignition power to burn. 

Also, you need to upgrade the cooling system to avoid overheating.

Just too much messing to do.

If it's me, I'll find an old carburetor engine and just change the valves, bore up a little, change the camshaft, exhaust,  CDI and install a bigger carburetor. Old engines are much easier to tune. I used to play with a Yamaha 110cc engine before and as a result I can easily upset the much bigger 150cc that time (2008-2010).

Edited by alx123

On 9/27/2019 at 9:57 AM, alx123 said:

From 125cc to 200cc? You might need to change the entire cylinder block as the stock block won't be able to bore up that much. 

Yes. New cylinder at 66mm. Can go to 232cc but requires extra stoke. There are even some 300cc Finos out there. 

Bigger cc means need more fuel, so a new ECU, bigger valves. More fuel also need more ignition power to burn. 

Yes

Also, you need to upgrade the cooling system to avoid overheating.

Aircooled so just leave as is. Works on a Vespa.

Filano is "Flex" fuel so can use E85 which burns cooler.

But maybe yes i can install a cyl. head temp. but if I'm only using for urban stuff not much time at full throttle.

If it's me, I'll find an old carburetor engine and just change the valves, bore up a little, change the camshaft, exhaust,  CDI and install a bigger carburetor.

Yes all of the above mods. Yes I'll have to work on the fuelling. 

Edited by VocalNeal

Hmm. I local supplier of tuning parts says "We don’t have it 

Which now makes me even more keen,. Although looking at Filano it is a bit plasticy and cheap looking compared to Vespa.

I'll have to go into Lord of the Rings mode.