Did possibility of a frequent flyer tax seal Thomas Cook’s fate?

webfact

Did possibility of a frequent flyer tax seal Thomas Cook’s fate?

Government has been asked to consider levy in bid to discourage emissions-producing air travel

David Buckley

tc.jpg

As a rough rule of thumb, I’m not big on conspiracy theories. But I’ve just spotted a news item on the BBC website which may have some relevance to the British Government’s decision not to bail out the Thomas Cook travel company.

The item is headlined: Introduce frequent flyer levy to fight emissions, government told.

Now I’ve put two and two together and maybe come up with five, but I’m of the opinion that if the Government is seriously considering such a levy it would have been especially irresponsible to plough taxpayers’ money into a travel company that is/was heavily reliant on air travel.

Imagine it. “We’ve put £250 million into Thomas Cook, but now we are introducing a tax which, we hope, will discourage people from flying so often.” 

At a time when the Government is being accused of irresponsibility on several fronts (the Supreme Court has just said that suspending Parliament was illegal) this would have been another nail in what looks like becoming its coffin.

The Committee on Climate Change (CCC) believes a “frequent flyer levy” would help curb the growing demand for air travel. Nothing to do with the Government maybe finding another way to raise money, then!

It should be pointed out that the Government (if there is still one in a few days’ time) has not said it will act on this recommendation. It will study it. But, even the possibility of introducing a levy would have flown (bad pun) in the face of backing Thomas Cook. Is this what they call an oxymoron? Well, some sort of moron anyway.

Full story: https://londoninspire.co.uk/did-possibility-of-a-frequent-flyer-tax-seal-thomas-cooks-fate/

1RHcVpx.jpg

-- © Copyright London Inspire in Thailand

Follow London Inspire on Facebook

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

How many people using Thomas Cook's services are likely to be frequent flyers?

My cousin and his missus go on 3-4 holidays a year. A lot of times they went with Thomas Cook. He's waiting refunds for 2 he just booked and paid before they went pop. One to a Greek Island and one to Egypt. I suspect that they had many regular customers, all thinking Thomas Cook was a safe as a bank (and forgetting 2008!). 

• Like 1