Re Entry with a twist

Leaving Bkk to go back to AU, before doing so need to visit an adjacent country then return to bkk to take my flight back to AU, when leaving Suvarnahumi will obtain a re entry permit as i am on OA, however on returning to bkk from the said adjacent country I need to collect my bags and check in again, really don't want to use the re Entry permit for basically a transit, is there a way i can keep my re Entry until my return from AU?., hope I have explained the situation clearly enough.

The only way you can avoid using the re-entry permit would be if you were able to stay in the transit area between you flights. 

Some airlines have arrangements for transiting between flights. That requires your checked baggage to be checked in to you final destination.

You may have no choice but to get a new re-entry permit.

• Like 1

If you collect your baggage and check in again then you are not transiting.  Technically you have entered the country again. If your reservation is with the same airline to your destination then the option of transferring your baggage to the next flight is possible.  But if your reservation is with two separate and unaffiliated airlines then I doubt this option is possible.  

I have a similar situation coming up but it's for initial-entry of an OA visa.  

I need to enter for a night or two then won't be back for six months, but won't be back to Oz in that time either.  Asked in the Sydney consulate could I enter on the 30-day visa on arrival like a tourist, ask them to ignore the OA.  She kinda laughed in a polite Thai way and said no, if you have visa the airport IO will use visa. 

I came up with a solution that is not likely useful to the OP, but might be for others... 

Was hoping to sweet talk the airport IO anyway to stamp me in visa-free, but what I realised I could do is get a British passport (which I qualify for) and enter on that as a wide-eyed tourist for the couple of nights.  Saves me a bunch in visa fees in other countries too - Turkey and Ukraine for example - so it would be a money saver.  Brit passport way cheaper to acquire than ours too.   

In the end our plans changed and I don't need to enter Thailand for the couple nights, but still the Brit passport will be handy on our trip. 

41 minutes ago, moojar said:

I have a similar situation coming up but it's for initial-entry of an OA visa.  

I need to enter for a night or two then won't be back for six months, but won't be back to Oz in that time either. 

I see no reason not the use the OA visa. Its expiration date will not be changed by using it for entry since it is a multiple entry visa that is valid for a year from the date of issue.

When your return after 6 months you will stamped in for another year.

• Like 2