These New Wide Screen Tv,s

naka

I was thinking about getting one of those new wide screen LCD TV's at Lotus the other day.

When checking them out, I noticed they were showing the Singapore golf tournament

and the Thai player, in the lead at the time (Thai related :o ) looked like the Incredible Hulk.

Seemed to me that these screens stretch the picture and everything looks weird.

Am I perhaps missing something here ?

Naka.

Edited by naka

Not missing anything, just setup improperly or doesn't have a 'best fit' feature. Broadcasts here are predominately at 4:3 ratio while wide screen displays are 16:9 thus stretching the 4:3 to fit the screen. I have a Panasonic 42" plasma and it has several fitting modes including 'best fit'. This mode stretches the image only on the edges so the proportions in the center are good - does a pretty good job of it. Of course it can be set for 4:3 and will have black bands on the left and right.

Of course playing wide screen movies from DVD's look very good.

I was thinking about getting one of those new wide screen LCD TV's at Lotus the other day.

When checking them out, I noticed they were showing the Singapore golf tournament

and the Thai player, in the lead at the time (Thai related :o ) looked like the Incredible Hulk.

Naka.

I bought a 32# LCD and am pleased with it..mainly for sports. I did find that the picture isnt so good if you are too close to the screen though.Probably a plasma screen would have been better but more expensive

I too hate to see an incorrectly set-up TV.

The 'Incredible hulk' effect is caused by stretching a regular 4:3 picture to fit a 16:9 screen. Switch to 'letterbox' mode to fill the screen and not distort (trouble is it chops the top and bottom off) or switch to '4:3' mode to get all the picture, but you get black lines each side. Most sets also have a stretchy mode that only drags out the sides of the picture to fit, leaving the centre un-distorted, really weird effect on panning scenes :D

My set stays in 'letterbox' most of the time, you don't lose much information and I paid for 32" of picture :D