Farming Farang Agri-Pros?

swissie

I realise that most questions that arise here are by "Farang-Newcomer-Farmers" somewhere in Rural-Thailand. There is certainly nothing wrong with that.

But this time around I would like to adress Farangs that came to Thailand with "Agricultural-Knowledge" as part of their "luggage". (Including knowledge of Agriculture in a tropical environement).
- Has your knowledge concerning "modern agriculture" found acceptance among Thai-Farmers?
It has been a while, but I could only convey some "modern agricuture" by convincing a Thai "of importance" beforehand. In my case the son of the village chief. A very alert university student. Without his help, my advice would have been disregarded as "Farang-Hokus-Pokus".

Not shy to say, that thanks to our combined efforts, the revenue of local Farmers, willing to "learn from a Farang Long Nose" has increased.
Wondering if educated "Farang-Agriculturists" these days still need a Thai Trailblazer to introduce Thai-Farmers to "modern-farming". Or has time stood still for the last 10 years in the Farming-Communities in Thailand?

Just curious, trying to keep up with Rural-Farming-communities at this day and age. With or without Farang agricultural "Hokus-Pokus".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/28/2019 at 10:43 AM, MrTrip said:

What was your piece of Hocus Pocus which eventually convinced the locals to embrace?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Hocus Pocus showed some good results with a handful of Hog-Farmers. I managed to convince them to produce hogs Anti-Cyclical.

= When prices are high and everybody including his uncle go into the hog-business, start to lighten up on your number of hogs. Reverse procedure if everybody sells out, claiming that the hog-business is a losing proposition.

Other forms of my Hocus Pocus were less successful (mostly not having been applied in the first place.)

• Like 1

The pig market always has had its ups and down ,the UK use to be the same  more so in Thailand ,I think at the moment it is a falling market .

The cattle market is  the same ,we use to rear dairy heifers buy them in feed them up ,get them in calf and sell them ,on paper it should work well ,but the markets say other wise ,the times we brought at the top of the market and then sold on a falling market .

One TV member posting about his beef rearing enterprise has been quiet for a few months since the beef prices have fallen.