Snow birds

A friend with a seasonal business in UK asked me to research the costs associated with he and his wife visiting Thailand for a few months from Oct. to Feb..  He visualises an idyl of warmth by the sea, relaxing by the pool.  Cost of renting is his prime concern because that is the only unknown additional expense. Advise from those who live by the sea and are able to imagine a happily married couple living next door for the cooler months would be good. 

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

Location is the key here. If near a coast around 12k monthly rent, then use govt figures as a minimum = 40k so around 65k month depending on lifestyle.

Very broad without being given more specifics.

I suppose Service Apartments for three months are what they would need. I am in Bangkok so can’t help. 

Suggest booking a hotel near the sea on Koh Samui where there is a large number of optional beaches, then choosing one that suits the individual for the longer period. I agree with tgeezer's cost estimate. There will be many houses for rent this year during the period the writer prefers.

On 9/29/2019 at 4:57 PM, CharlieH said:

Location is the key here. If near a coast around 12k monthly rent, then use govt figures as a minimum = 40k so around 65k month depending on lifestyle.

Yep my friend I agree 65K a month would be a reasonable, pleasant enough lifestyle for two somewhere near the coast (taking into account a rough figure, without specific requirements as you so rightly point out).

Can rent a very nice pool place for two folks for 35K (not on a beach perhaps but close to though), Phuket a bit more perhaps. East coast easy to get a top spot with a pool for 35K a month no probs.

Some good choices in Pattaya. If they don't plan to drive I would recommend one of the oceanfront or ocean view projects in Jomtien on the baht bus line or close to it. Lumpini Park Beach would be my choice for a nice project at a reasonable cost in Jomtien.  Gym, sky lounge, library, sauna, 2 pools, bike rentals, nice grounds.  Aeras, Cetus, Reflection, View Talay 5 and 7, Riviera Jomtien, and Jomtien Complex might be some other choices.  If they want to be in central Pattaya Centric Sea would be an option.  Check Hipflat to get some idea of rental prices and projects.

On 9/28/2019 at 11:57 PM, CharlieH said:

Sorry, don't follow you. 12k/month rent. What is the 40k? How did you arrive at 65k?

Thanks.

43 minutes ago, elgenon said:

Sorry, don't follow you. 12k/month rent. What is the 40k? How did you arrive at 65k?

Thanks.

The govt, ie Immigration, expects people on a marriage visa to have an income of at least 40k per month to live on so I imagine that is where he got that figure. But a couple of westerners on holiday would spend a lot more than that in my opinion. They would want to go out to dinner, go on trips, etc.....at least 2k baht/day for that plus rent would add up to at least 75000/month.

8 minutes ago, MikeN said:

The govt, ie Immigration, expects people on a marriage visa to have an income of at least 40k per month to live on so I imagine that is where he got that figure. But a couple of westerners on holiday would spend a lot more than that in my opinion. They would want to go out to dinner, go on trips, etc.....at least 2k baht/day for that plus rent would add up to at least 75000/month.

Thanks

On 9/29/2019 at 8:57 AM, CharlieH said:

Western business owner / semi retiree standard housing, with a pool, near the coast, for 12k ??? Or are you saying 40 ?? 

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

The govt, ie Immigration, expects people on a marriage visa to have an income of at least 40k per month

A marriage Visa? 

For a western couple? 

40k Baht income/month? 

What kind of Visa you are talking about? 

2 hours ago, CH1961 said:

A marriage Visa? 

For a western couple? 

40k Baht income/month? 

What kind of Visa you are talking about? 

Go back and read it in context ....."use govt figures as a minimum = 40k" . Thats how much the Thai govt thinks is enough for a married couple (Farang/thai) to live on, as it is a requirement for a marriage visa. And as I said, a western couple here on holiday would probably spend a lot more than that.

My monthly budget is 65K and I have a 100m2 condo in Pratumnak 200m from the beach. I eat out nearly every day, mix of Thai and foreign food. I have a few beers per week but nothing outrageous.

my budget includes visa costs, something your friend wouldn’t have to worry about past an SETV or METV, utilities, groceries and 1000thh a day cash. 

8 hours ago, cracker1 said:

Suggest booking a hotel near the sea on Koh Samui where there is a large number of optional beaches, then choosing one that suits the individual for the longer period. I agree with tgeezer's cost estimate. There will be many houses for rent this year during the period the writer prefers.

Oct - Feb and you advise Ko Samui which has the worst weather in Thailand for a great deal of that period. Far far wiser to stay on the Andaman coast at that time of year.

Trouble with Phuket is it will be absolutely swamped with idiots. Same with Krapi. Moreover, Thailand has a problem despite all the beaches a real lack of beachfront property.

Maybe Koh Lanta. The Swedes love it. The beaches mediocre but it's pretty chill. If they can afford it and truly have no issues with going stir crazy - Koh Ngai. If they don't mind a crunch and expense, Koh Lipe. Lipe will start getting hot end of Feb.

Northwest Koh Phanghan. Koh Tao Ao Muang, Saparot and to the south. NOT the village.

Stay out of ChaAm, Hua Hin, Ban Saphan imo.

Ban Sarey might be ok. Not much to do. Not much beach.

Pattaya perhaps. Wongamat, Naklua NOT the CBD. Maybe the condo stretches of Jomtien but not central area.

I just loathe everything about Koh Samui. It's just a big scam, worse than even Phuket if that's possible.

Costs: just depends. Bungalows start 500 a day maybe up to b1200+ on the beach. Condos maybe 15k short term. Quick walk to Beach.

A tip for bungalows book a few months early November before everyone rocks up. Once high season hits you won't get discounts for long stay in many places. Don't book an entire season, you never know what problems will pop up.

Koh Phayam Buffalo Beach?

I pay 18000 a month plus 2000 electric etc. Then , food for one plus daily expenses 500 a day +. For 2 people more. That’s not including travel, weekends away or expensive restaurants. For two the minimum would be around 45/50 thousand which is about 1400 euros a month at todays rate. For people who rent, cheaper in the south of France, Spain or Portugal for lovely weather and quality living. 

11 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Trouble with Phuket is it will be absolutely swamped with idiots. Same with Krapi. Moreover, Thailand has a problem despite all the beaches a real lack of beachfront property.

Maybe Koh Lanta. The Swedes love it. The beaches mediocre but it's pretty chill. If they can afford it and truly have no issues with going stir crazy - Koh Ngai. If they don't mind a crunch and expense, Koh Lipe. Lipe will start getting hot end of Feb.

Northwest Koh Phanghan. Koh Tao Ao Muang, Saparot and to the south. NOT the village.

Stay out of ChaAm, Hua Hin, Ban Saphan imo.

Ban Sarey might be ok. Not much to do. Not much beach.

Pattaya perhaps. Wongamat, Naklua NOT the CBD. Maybe the condo stretches of Jomtien but not central area.

I just loathe everything about Koh Samui. It's just a big scam, worse than even Phuket if that's possible.

Costs: just depends. Bungalows start 500 a day maybe up to b1200+ on the beach. Condos maybe 15k short term. Quick walk to Beach.

A tip for bungalows book a few months early November before everyone rocks up. Once high season hits you won't get discounts for long stay in many places. Don't book an entire season, you never know what problems will pop up.

Koh Phayam Buffalo Beach?

Would endorse all this ,especially about being on Andaman side and the negatives of Samui. The beaches on Lanta are rather better than you portray- I’ve visited nearly all of them and certainly less swamped with Russians etc than Phuket. Certainly more laid back but although plenty of restaurants a bit lacking on amenities like supermarkets,shopping etc. but certainly a viable alternative to the Phuket madhouse. 

On 10/3/2019 at 6:50 AM, nchuckle said:

Would endorse all this ,especially about being on Andaman side and the negatives of Samui. The beaches on Lanta are rather better than you portray- I’ve visited nearly all of them and certainly less swamped with Russians etc than Phuket. Certainly more laid back but although plenty of restaurants a bit lacking on amenities like supermarkets,shopping etc. but certainly a viable alternative to the Phuket madhouse. 

Fair enough. My standards for beaches are pretty high. Phuket is as toxic as Pattaya imo.

3 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Fair enough. My standards for beaches are pretty high. Phuket is as toxic as Pattaya imo.

As a keen snorkeler and diver I’d agree that in absolute terms Thai beaches are now not great compared to 30 years ago when I first came to Phuket and dived in the Similans. Apart from remote island trips or on speedboat tours there is no decent snorkeling now. 

19 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

no decent snorkeling now. 

Even Raja Ampat has lost all it's color and small fish. It's only the cooler waters that allow the browned corals to cling to life.

I know of one semi secret patch of staghorn and table coral in the Surins. Other than that tiny bay the bottom sea floor of Thailand is a wasteland. Everything is dead. Nothing but sand and bleached coral. My wife still likes to take our fins and swim about. I find it wholly depressing and boring.

Not been to Koh Too in many years. They'd closed camping some time ago due to daytrippers water consumption. It's always the tourists that devestate the marine parks.

Archived