Another Side To Immigration Staff

This has nothing much to do with the normal stuff that appears on this site but I think it’s nevertheless worth mentioning.

I went to Jomtien Immigration this afternoon for a residency letter, duly handed over the appropriate documentation and money, and was told to come back in an hour.

I did and my letter was waiting for me. As the lady official handed it over there was a loud rumble of thunder – it had been dark and overcast outside.

“There is going to be rain.” she said, “Do you have a car?”

“No” I said, “I am getting a car tomorrow which is why I need this letter. But I have a bicycle and I don’t have too far to go.”

“But you will get wet” she said. “Wait one minute and I will get you a something to keep things dry!”

She went out and appeared back with a plastic bag into which she carefully put the letter, my wallet and phone.

OK – no big deal – but lots of folk, myself included, can be critical of the Immigration staff – and maybe with good reason sometimes.

But that little gesture today, something that she didn't have to do, showed me that they can human and considerate too. I appreciated her thoughtfulness.

This has nothing much to do with the normal stuff that appears on this site but I think it's nevertheless worth mentioning.

I went to Jomtien Immigration this afternoon for a residency letter, duly handed over the appropriate documentation and money, and was told to come back in an hour.

I did and my letter was waiting for me. As the lady official handed it over there was a loud rumble of thunder – it had been dark and overcast outside.

"There is going to be rain." she said, "Do you have a car?"

"No" I said, "I am getting a car tomorrow which is why I need this letter. But I have a bicycle and I don't have too far to go."

"But you will get wet" she said. "Wait one minute and I will get you a something to keep things dry!"

She went out and appeared back with a plastic bag into which she carefully put the letter, my wallet and phone.

OK – no big deal – but lots of folk, myself included, can be critical of the Immigration staff – and maybe with good reason sometimes.

But that little gesture today, something that she didn't have to do, showed me that they can human and considerate too. I appreciated her thoughtfulness.

Nice story well done! was she attractive?

:o KD

This has nothing much to do with the normal stuff that appears on this site but I think it’s nevertheless worth mentioning.

“No” I said, “I am getting a car tomorrow which is why I need this letter. But I have a bicycle and I don’t have too far to go.”

“But you will get wet” she said. “Wait one minute and I will get you a something to keep things dry!”

Thanks for sharing, greta story

More likely lawling was attractive :o

I didn't like to say so but that could well be the reason. Admittedly my own mother never got around to telling me I was attractive but I know I must be, as I am often told I am handsome by ladies in the bars here in Pattaya - and as everyone knows they are a discerning lot, capable of seeing past things like baldness, obesity and general decreptitude. I would of course dismiss the other possibility that her actions were motivated by feelings of pity!

I'm trying to think of a time when Thai immigration gave me a rough time, or were impolite. Even the lady in Chiang Mai was only trying to verify my injuries, as if the doctor's statement wasn't good enough; and she advised me how my overstay would be cheaper than an extension. And the sweet young thing at Don Muang couldn't help that the lady at Suan Phlu didn't give me an extension. The man at Hua Hin must have stared at my passport five minutes before reluctantly telling me I needed to leave the country; the same office was very helpful when I finally got a retirement extension.

Do we realize what kind of crappy, cruddy foreigners those folks have to put up with? I spent a career as a civil servant, and it isn't half as easy as it looks.

Okay, one time in Mexico, a real witch with a capital "B." But even she finally was kind, and I was breaking their federal constitution.

Any more examples of good service at Thai Immigration Police?

Years ago I used to drive from Lomsak (Petchabun) to Chiang Mai to do my visa extensions. We'd use the occasion for a short holiday.

Finally we got tired of doing the trip every 30 days while the extension was under consideration. I asked a female officer if i could leave my passport with her and call in 30 days. (Yes, I know, never give your passport to anyone...)

Anyway, she told me it wouldn't be a problem. She took my passport and put it in a drawer with a number of other passports. She told us to call her in 3o days.

My wife called back in 30 days as requested. The officer pulled my file, said it wasn't ready yet. She stamped the passport for another 30 days and told us when to call back. Eventually it was okay, and we drove there to get it and for another short holiday.

We did this for 2 or 3 years before changing to another office.

She never asked for anything to do this for us. When I retrieved the passport we did take her a fruit basket. I thought it was very nice of the officer to help me like she did.

I've used immigration offices in 4 places and have only had a difficulty with one officer in the last 13 years. Needless to say I don't use the immigration office in the far Northeast anymore.

"Any more examples of good service at Thai Immigration Police?"

my wife returned this morning from abroad and was full of praise for the immigration officer at the airport. extremely polite... yes madame, of course madame... have a nice stay madame, etc., etc., etc.

normally the chaps at the immigration are not very talkative but never impolite.

This is the one thing that never cease to amaze me in LOS. When it comes to civil servant, including immigration, you come across the whole range from the nicest, helpfull person to the point you wonder what's going on to the darkest, corrupt to the bone individual. In between there is the whole range from indiferrent (I could not care lesss) to the uninterested (I'm just here to collect my salary at the end of the month) etc.

There is hope....

1) Went with my works lawyer to extend my wife's non-immigrant O based on marriage to me. We also had our white as white blond haired baby with us.

Got in, an immgration guy at Suan Phlu swooped in and took away our baby to show off to the rest of the cluck-clucking staff (we weren't worried..it was a very nice gesture). Was a nice baby sitting service, though we did slow down the processing of visa's for about an hour while we were there.

2) An aging immigration officer at Chong Mek Thai/Lao crossing sat me down when we re-entered Thailand and asked me all about Laos and the 4000 islands where we had just been. He'd been an officer at that post for years, and yet never had been to Laos! Was amazed that it was supposedly so beautiful about 150km from where he was sitting.

3) Thai Airways Gold/Business/First class immigration lane at the new airport. Always nice to me there.

***breaking their federal constitution***

OH! DO TELL! sounds like a story...

I'm trying to think of a time when Thai immigration gave me a rough time, or were impolite. Even the lady in Chiang Mai was only trying to verify my injuries, as if the doctor's statement wasn't good enough; and she advised me how my overstay would be cheaper than an extension. And the sweet young thing at Don Muang couldn't help that the lady at Suan Phlu didn't give me an extension. The man at Hua Hin must have stared at my passport five minutes before reluctantly telling me I needed to leave the country; the same office was very helpful when I finally got a retirement extension.

Do we realize what kind of crappy, cruddy foreigners those folks have to put up with? I spent a career as a civil servant, and it isn't half as easy as it looks.

Okay, one time in Mexico, a real witch with a capital "B." But even she finally was kind, and I was breaking their federal constitution.

Got in, an immgration guy at Suan Phlu swooped in and took away our baby to show off to the rest of the cluck-clucking staff (we weren't worried..it was a very nice gesture). Was a nice baby sitting service, though we did slow down the processing of visa's for about an hour while we were there.

This was truly the ice-breaker for us: They put me through a wringer the first time I went there with my wife, pregnant with a seven-month baby and none-to-happy to be there. Three months later, when we went there with our just-newborn, it was solicitous all-clucking and a very pleasant experience. Now, every time I do my three-month reporting, I can see disappointment when they see me come by myself.

Since the Immigration office is 50 km away, we do try to take the kids by sometimes and try and mix pleasure with business... so the last time we were there we asked about a local bird sanctuary, and the Immigration BOSS snippily said: "Don't have." As we trundled out, a favourite Immigration official of ours (an underling, unfortunately) made it a point to pass by us in the carpark and slipped my wife a slip of paper: a hastily-drawn map of how to get to the bird sanctuary.

Just to think that she risked her boss' anger... Needless to say, the kids had a ball.

I also went to Jomtien Immigration the same day as you for a residency letter so I probably saw the same person and like you cae away thinking how helpful and considerate she was. I was told to come back in an hour but as I returned she was going outside, about to take a child somewhere, but when she saw me she went back in, called me into the office to give me the letter then gave me another copy in case I needed it to get a Thai driving licence, she'd forgotten to ask me if I needed one when I first went in. We have all heard bad comments about immigration before so its nice to be able to comment about somebody who went out of her way to be helpful and considerate when she didn't have to. Like you I appreciated her thoughtfulness.

Years ago I used to drive from Lomsak (Petchabun) to Chiang Mai to do my visa extensions. We'd use the occasion for a short holiday.

Finally we got tired of doing the trip every 30 days while the extension was under consideration. I asked a female officer if i could leave my passport with her and call in 30 days. (Yes, I know, never give your passport to anyone...)

Anyway, she told me it wouldn't be a problem. She took my passport and put it in a drawer with a number of other passports. She told us to call her in 3o days.

My wife called back in 30 days as requested. The officer pulled my file, said it wasn't ready yet. She stamped the passport for another 30 days and told us when to call back. Eventually it was okay, and we drove there to get it and for another short holiday.

We did this for 2 or 3 years before changing to another office.

She never asked for anything to do this for us. When I retrieved the passport we did take her a fruit basket. I thought it was very nice of the officer to help me like she did.

I've used immigration offices in 4 places and have only had a difficulty with one officer in the last 13 years. Needless to say I don't use the immigration office in the far Northeast anymore.

Let me guess: Probably Nong Khai. :o

North

Sorry, not Thai related. Okay, I'll try to apply it to Thailand:

If there's a really witchy lady behind the counter, bring her flowers, somtam, or canom. And pray that the newly elected prime minister will reverse pending actions against foreigners about to be deported.

***breaking their federal constitution***

OH! DO TELL! sounds like a story...

I'm trying to think of a time when Thai immigration gave me a rough time, or were impolite. ............

To me, it is a surprise that any people keep their 'niceness' for any length of time in one of those jobs that consist of "strange face after face appearing before me".

It must be very wearing, even if the 'clients' are all civilised (and clued up)---and it must be rare to get a fair run of those.

There seems to be a lot to be said for the system where the 'client' waits for their number to be called. At least, it allows the staff member to pretend to be busy for a little while whilst their irritation at the idiot that they have just dealt with subsides!

Friendly Officers….

why not. Behind each uniform are always a individual personality.

They have also good and bad days.

Many authors here often mean „Imi-Officer = Bad guy“.

By the way, I self have since nearly five years at Samui Immigration

never any problem with that lady’s and gentlemen. And that starts with

an obligate cup of coffee and end in assistance by any problem with other

government units.

There is a german proverb that means:

“that what you scream in the forest comes on the same way back”

I have nothing, but praise for the immigration officials at Kanchanaburi. It seems a smile and a friendly attitude go a long way. When I applied for my Thai driving licence the officials at the local transport office compared my visa stamp to a set of examples on a sheet of paper. Because it did not match the examples they said my documents weren't in order. No use arguing so I went to the immigration office for help. They checked my documents and said they were OK. The colonel in charge overheard what was going on, took my papers and got on the phone. I had not heard a Thai getting angry on the phone before. After the call he told me to go back to the transport office. When I went back to the transport office I was shown into the managers's office, sat down with a drink, whilst a lady took my papers. She came back after 5 minutes and asked me to sign, then 5 minutes later eveything was complete.

Whether the official is a man or women I get the same friendly welcome. They have a job to do and we are guests in their country and like a said before a smile and a good attitude helps.

What! - They charge you for this? In Phu Sing they do it FOC for me and while I wait - and offer me a cup of coffee whilst I'm waiting!

I'm just thrilled & excited to see 'good news' reports on this forum. May there be more of them & less whinging!

Similarly, over last 5 years, I have nothing but praise for my local immigration office who have always been both polite & helpful.

Even in the West, where we tend to get into confrontations at a drop of the hat, wise officials and vendors know that they can have a much more pleasant job by trying to be nice. When that witch in Mexico was harrassing me so badly in public, shouting at me while illegal aliens watched in horror, I just held my cool, showed her more respect than she deserved, and I didn't argue back. Finally she gave in and filled out the document for me. Her coworkers, who are far more kindly, tried to make up for her tirade. And rather than get deported, I got a nice interview with the assistant regional commissioner, and a one year visa extension (thanks in good measure to the new president and his fiance).

Back in Chiang Mai, the last time I got a one year extension, they couldn't have been nicer. She even thought my Lanna shirt was smart.

Even in the West, where we tend to get into confrontations at a drop of the hat, wise officials and vendors know that they can have a much more pleasant job by trying to be nice. When that witch in Mexico was harrassing me so badly in public, shouting at me while illegal aliens watched in horror, I just held my cool, showed her more respect than she deserved, and I didn't argue back. Finally she gave in and filled out the document for me. Her coworkers, who are far more kindly, tried to make up for her tirade. And rather than get deported, I got a nice interview with the assistant regional commissioner, and a one year visa extension (thanks in good measure to the new president and his fiance).

Back in Chiang Mai, the last time I got a one year extension, they couldn't have been nicer. She even thought my Lanna shirt was smart.

I have recently been through the whole gamut - legalisation of documents at the Government office on Chang Wattana, Laksi, marriage certificate at a different Government office in Laksi, driving license in Buri Ram and 12 month spouse visa in Nakhon Ratchasima (Korat). Prior to that i often drove to the Immigration office in Kap Choeng and was on a nonImmigrant "O" visa.

I can honestly say that i have never had a problem. I have found these government officials to be courteous and efficient. A couple of times I have not paid enough attention to the detail and had to go back a second time but my wife and I have always been treated with respect and courtesy.

I suspect it's all in the (my) attitude.

Cheers,

Bicko

I came to Thailand the first time in 1976 and I been traveling in and out of this country ever since and never experienced any problems at the immigration. Now I am working here and only have to meet with them in company with a nice looking girl from our head office assisting me with all the paperwork.

Have a nice day!

Yep, went across at Mae Sai on Saturday. When I returned after a day of shopping, I totally forgot to fill out the "arrival" side of the form as it was folded. I waited in line until a female officer called me to her window. She saw the "departure" card was filled out but when she flipped it over the "arrival" side was blank. I apologized in Thai and she said "mai pen rai" then said she would fill in the blanks if I would put my address and signature on the form. Seemed like business as usual for her yet she could have easily asked me to do the work and call the next person in line while I overcame my old timers disease and completed my responsibilities.

Similar for me never had any bad experiences with government officials here at all. I stay polite, dress nicely when I need to meet one. Usually have a nice chat with them holding up the line behind me even.

The reason why you see a lot of threads with people being angry with officials is simple.

If something goes wrong people want an outlet to complain. If something was pleasant people usually do not mention it as they feel it should be like that always.

Hence when reading a forum (not just this one) you always get the feeling that dealing with government officials is a horrific thing in most cases. While it usually is a pleasant thing. It is just that all those pleasant experiences never get mentioned!

Now I do not want to imply that people only mention pleasant occurences. I just want to imply that everytime you read about an unpleasant occurence just think that there were 10 pleasant ones you didn't hear about!

Waerth

I have used 85 out of my 90 days of visa exempt and last week as I was coming back from Macau, the passport control officer at Suwanapoom asked me how long I was gonna stay this time.

I replied 6 days as I am flying to Amsterdam on the 28th, he stamped me in for another 30 days :o

Btw: this was my 6th stamp using visa exempt on an American passport.

There are many nice people working in the passport control and Immigration offices in Thailand.

Reason for Edit: Typo

Edited by pampal