Issue with S10+ ordered through Lazada

Why Me

This evening received a Samsung Galaxy S10+ from a seller on Lazada. His price was good, had the color I wanted and there were positive reviews, so I dove in.

Opening the box seemed to be all shiny and new, all parts as unboxing videos show them. However, when I pressed the power key I got straight a way a homepage with a bunch of icons, including Samsung Pay and a few others with Korean (I suppose) labels.

Complained to the seller via chat. His response "new supplier just opened" then "new phone".

So, what's going on? I am no expert with these things. But I would assume that the first thing I would get on starting a new phone would be the setup menu. Moreover, to get to a setup menu from an already setup phone I would have to do a factor reset with permission/password, right?

Just wondering if there is a benign explanation for the way the phone is. Otherwise, I'll initiate a return with Lazada.

On 10/2/2019 at 4:46 AM, Why Me said:

This evening received a Samsung Galaxy S10+ from a seller on Lazada. His price was good, had the color I wanted and there were positive reviews, so I dove in.

Opening the box seemed to be all gimp freejobalert notepad++ shiny and new, all parts as unboxing videos show them. However, when I pressed the power key I got straight a way a homepage with a bunch of icons, including Samsung Pay and a few others with Korean (I suppose) labels.

Complained to the seller via chat. His response "new supplier just opened" then "new phone".

So, what's going on? I am no expert with these things. But I would assume that the first thing I would get on starting a new phone would be the setup menu. Moreover, to get to a setup menu from an already setup phone I would have to do a factor reset with permission/password, right?

Just wondering if there is a benign explanation for the way the phone is. Otherwise, I'll initiate a return with Lazada.

I think its just that they have set it up for you and nothing else.

Regards,
George

I ordered a S10 thru Lazada seller - But I specifically ordered a non Thai model as I wanted the Snapdragon model... It looked brand new and when I turned on was in Korean too and booted to icons... I just changed to English and removed the Samsung bloatware... It has been fine and runs perfect....

Can you take a photo from the bottom of the phone with the usb port?

Be aware that the cheap phones often are chinese copies and not original products.

What to look for is the placement of the ports on the lower side. If they are offset to the back side its a copy. If they are placed square in the middle its an original. Copies are also thicker/heavier than the original (hence the misplacement of the port).

I was looking into buying a phone for the girlfriend but didnt dare to once I found out how many copies are floating around.

I will only buy phones/tablets in a brand store where I know I get the correct product.

Thanks all for replies. I ended up returning the phone.

jackdd, no the seal was cut. Together with the fact that it was all setup scared me.

RobbyXNorway, that would be quite surprising if they could make a passable copy of such an advanced phone at much cheaper price. I believe the S10+ has the fingerprint reader built into the bottom of the screen. Amazing if they could do all that without having a high-tech  production line, in which case why not sell their own brand name.

Just thinking aloud. You may be quite right. I don't understand these things very well. The S10+ was simply because someone wanted to buy my current S9+ off me at a good price.

4 hours ago, Why Me said:

RobbyXNorway, that would be quite surprising if they could make a passable copy of such an advanced phone at much cheaper price. I believe the S10+ has the fingerprint reader built into the bottom of the screen. Amazing if they could do all that without having a high-tech  production line, in which case why not sell their own brand name.

With big name items you pay for the name, the hardware itself can be made much cheaper hence all the Chinese phones with just as good specs and lower prices.

It's so difficult to break into the market that copies are often a better (short term at least) business option.

3 hours ago, SteveK said:

It will be interesting to see if you actually get your money back and how long it takes.

In 3 days it was back in my CC. I've found Lazada to be pretty good with return/refunds. Their phone help is great too. Almost zero wait time on the English option.

And with the S10+ I was worried. Called them up a couple of different time re how to return (they guided me through process - nearest Kerry dropoff, etc.) and what happens if the seller disputes (don't worry, we'll resolve it). 

Archived