15 Day Visa Coming?

I have just been out with a good Japanese friend and she told me of her visit to the Thai Embassy in Japan inquiring about visas for Thailand. She was informed in the conversation that from August they would only granted a 15 free stay stamp and not the usual 30 days. :o Not only was this explained but she also read a notice written in Japanese at the Embassy.

It occurred to me that if this is true then when will it begin to apply to other nationals?

Any info out there George? Dr PP?

Astrral: your point is well taken. When bashing Thailand for its immigration policies, it is forgotton that most visa requirements are reciprocal so when one country tightens up, the reciprocal countries do the same.

We need to know what Japan does to Thais to see if this "alleged" new move is reciprocal or just a "hair up" the Thai ambassador to Japan's "nose".

What does Japan offer Thais?

Perhaps it is reciprocal??

There is no news whatsoever about any curtailment of the 30 days now permitted the 41 countries. Japan makes it very hard for Thai's to enter their country, and a Thai must apply for an appropriate visa prior to entry.

Astrral: your point is well taken. When bashing Thailand for its immigration policies, it is forgotton that most visa requirements are reciprocal so when one country tightens up, the reciprocal countries do the same.

We need to know what Japan does to Thais to see if this "alleged" new move is reciprocal or just a "hair up" the Thai ambassador to Japan's "nose".

huh :o Most visa requirements are reciprocal? I guess only when it works negatively. When compared to the Schengen states there's no convincing evidence that visa requirements work reciprocal. I can imagine Thailand's frustation that Thai citizins find it difficult to obtain visas but Thailand on the other hand does not do that much about its prostitution problem. "Now what has that got to do with the visa problems?" one might think, ask any consular section staff and you will know the answer...

Dutchy

Are you saying the Japs are going to get a raw deal because of sour grapes? :D

I thought that japan was a major investor in Thailand :D

I don't think it will encourage Jap tourists to come here and as a lot of backpackers from Japan visit here that is also likely to decline ( they are normaly polite dressed well and have money)

I suspect this is a trial run and it is very credible that this will be adopted for other countries in the future. :o

I am working only some minutes away from the Thai Embassy here in Tokyo.

I will go there this coming Monday and I will check if there is anything true or not with these 14 days visa and for what nationality it will apply....

Anyway most Japanese tourists are short-term, one week or 10 days and not more, and so it will be no problem for most Japanese visitors. Japanese businessmen all are holding visa....

I cannot imagine, that this will be only for Japanese, what about Korea, Philippines, Singapore, Malaysia, Hongkong....

There is no political reason to exclude the Japanese......if they cut down from 30 days to 15 days, it should be apply to all these 30 days visafree countries....

Visa-run every 14 days? A reason for some people maybe to leave Thailand forever....

Johann

I am working only some minutes away from the Thai Embassy here in Tokyo.

I will go there this coming Monday and I will check if there is anything true or not with these 14 days visa and for what nationality it will apply....

Anyway most Japanese tourists are short-term, one week or 10 days and not more, and so it will be no problem for most Japanese visitors. Japanese businessmen all are holding visa....

I cannot imagine, that this will be only for Japanese, what about Korea, Philippines, Singapore, Malaysia, Hongkong....

There is no political reason to exclude the Japanese......if they cut down from 30 days to 15 days, it should be apply to all these 30 days visafree countries....

Visa-run every 14 days? A reason for some people maybe to leave Thailand forever....

Johann

Yes does not make any economic sense to me, maybe just the insecure scaremongers have nothing else to post or write about.

I wont loose any sleep over this nonsense .

The Japanese are major investers here so why would Thailand want to piss them off ?

The Japanese are major investers here so why would Thailand want to piss them off ?

The fact is, they do not piss off the Japanese at all with such a regulation.

Vacation of Asians is different from Europe. Most people take only 1 week or 10 days here in Japan, however they do this several times a year. Airtickets to SouthEastAsia are cheap. (but not really a major destination...Hawaii or Europe or China is more important for the Japanese tourists)

Group travel for Japanese tourists for Thailand now are often including Vietnam, which is since this year visafree for Japanese nationals only for 14 days.

Most Japanese tourists will be not concerned if they get 14 days or 30 days when entering Thailand.

Japanese businessmen have all proper visa, no problem for them.....

But IF TRUE that they reduce from 30 to 14 days, then it might be a new regulation for the other countries as well, not for the Japanese only.

This might become a big problem for people on visa-run.....

1 month....nobody likes that, but ok....why not?

But every 14 days?

I will check it carefully out this coming week directly at the Thai Embassy in Tokyo.

Johann

Would be very interested Yohan in your findings.

Yes does not make any economic sense to me, maybe just the insecure scaremongers have nothing else to post or write about.

I wont loose any sleep over this nonsense .

Up yours whatodo I am posting because of a conversation with a Jap friend. I don't see a reason for her to lie, but it may be not correct but i am interested. So go back to sleep ok?

Astrral: your point is well taken.  When bashing Thailand for its immigration policies, it is forgotton that most visa requirements are reciprocal so when one country tightens up, the reciprocal countries do the same.

huh :D Most visa requirements are reciprocal? I guess only when it works negatively. When compared to the Schengen states there's no convincing evidence that visa requirements work reciprocal. I can imagine Thailand's frustation that Thai citizins find it difficult to obtain visas but Thailand on the other hand does not do that much about its prostitution problem. "Now what has that got to do with the visa problems?" one might think, ask any consular section staff and you will know the answer...

Dutchy

Hey Dutchy ... there's more than just a little prostitution in the Netherlands isn't there ? Or perhaps it is just peculiar to Thailand. :o

The fact is, they do not piss off the Japanese at all with such a regulation.

Vacation of Asians is different from Europe. Most people take only 1 week or 10 days here in Japan, however they do this several times a year. Airtickets to SouthEastAsia are cheap. (but not really a major destination...Hawaii or Europe or China is more important for the Japanese tourists)

Group travel for Japanese tourists for Thailand now are often including Vietnam, which is since this year visafree for Japanese nationals only for 14 days.

Most Japanese tourists will be not concerned if they get 14 days or 30 days when entering Thailand.

Japanese businessmen have all proper visa, no problem for them.....

But IF TRUE that they reduce from 30 to 14 days, then it might be a new regulation for the other countries as well, not for the Japanese only.

This might become a big problem for people on visa-run.....

1 month....nobody likes that, but ok....why not?

But every 14 days?

I will check it carefully out this coming week directly at the Thai Embassy in Tokyo.

Johann

A deputy permanent secretary at the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs with whom I discussed the possibility of changes to permits on arrival knew nothing about any such changes being in the pipeline. Mind you, we see the Thai's making new rules for marriage visa's in Taiwan. Having to be married for 3 years or having a baby to be eligible for an O visa is unique to Taiwan.

Yes, Patpong The netherlands has prostuition ,but it is legal unlike Thailand. I also think Thailand has more prostuition than Netherlands. Let's face it where is sex cheaper Amsterdam or Bangkok. I can not see Thailand doing this to japanese nationals because Thailand is a tourist country. A lot of countries make it hard for Thai tourist to come to their countires especially the west, but remember that serveral years ago New Zealand gave Thai nationals free visa access to their country. It was a disaster because many of them never returned to Thailand , so They had to cancell it. Thailand will make it easy for tourist to come into the country because it is a tourist country , but the minute a foreigner wants to set up shop that is where the gates close or make it very hard to open. I hope they change this policy.

Yes, Patpong The netherlands has prostuition ,but it is legal unlike Thailand. I also think Thailand has more prostuition than Netherlands. Let's face it where is sex cheaper Amsterdam or Bangkok. I can not see Thailand doing this to japanese nationals because Thailand is a tourist country. A lot of countries make it hard for Thai tourist to come to their countires especially the west, but remember that serveral years ago New Zealand gave Thai nationals free visa access to their country. It was a disaster because many of them never returned to Thailand , so They had to cancell it. Thailand will make it easy for tourist to come into the country because it is a tourist country , but the minute a foreigner wants to set up shop that is where the gates close or make it very hard to open. I hope they change this policy.

A Thai needs to get a visa to visit Kiwi Land for any period at all since the reciprocal 90 day visa free stays were cancelled. A Kiwi still gets 30 days without a visa for tourism purposes.