British by Descent - Passport for child born in Thailand

I've just discovered that I'm not as British as I'd assumed. Being born to British parents I thought I could pass that along, but am learning otherwise.

This is quite a hard topic to research usefully, so hoping for 1st hand experience (or link to a previous topic).

I have the following

• child's birth cert
  • wife's birth cert (Thai)
  • my birth cert (British by Descent)
  • my passport

I've also got an appointment with V4S set up for week after next, but worried I'll just burn the application fee on a rejection? Any tips appreciated from those with specific experience of a parent who cannot automatically pass on UK citizenship.

Edited by timbothaivisa
more specifics

17 hours ago, blackcab said:

Cancel the appointment and save yourself the application fee.

Thanks for your advice and it reads much as I feared. I asked in my appointment application email what the situation was, but they didn't offer any detail.

So if I can't apply via V4S, how do I go about it? Do I mail the evidence & application direct to gov.uk? I can't seem to find any leads as to where to pick up the trail.

And yes, I'm determined to get full citizenship for my child ????

Like you, I was not born in the UK.  I was born in Africa, as both my British parents were working there.  However, I came to the UK when I was a kid and I was registered as a British citizen when I was 8 years old.  Fortunately I still have the Registration certificate, and I was able to get a UK passport for my son who was born in Thailand.

Have you lived in the UK for a long time?  Were you ever registered as British?

34 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Have you lived in the UK for a long time?

Sure, I lived there all through my youth, paid taxes, served in the forces, owned property and voted. Never had any idea that my status wasn't the same as my parents. If I'd known I could have "upgraded" my status before my child was born and avoided all the hassle.

7 hours ago, timbothaivisa said:

how do I go about it?

Start by reading this page. There is a green "Apply Now" button at the bottom of the page.

6 hours ago, timbothaivisa said:

If I'd known I could have "upgraded" my status before my child was b

This is a very complex area of law, but in my limited understanding I don't think you can change from "by descent" to "otherwise than by descent".

One solution would be to make sure your children are born in the UK. If they are, they would become "otherwise than by descent" (so if you are having any more children you know what to do).

If your child is granted UK citizenship after you apply, then the same thing applies to them: The easiest thing to do is make sure their children are born in the UK.

• Like 1