Torrent Speeds

paulfr

A few questions regarding P2P torrent downloads .....

1/ What determines how fast your download and upload speed will be ?

One can set upper limits, but what causes it to throttle at some level ?

2/ Also what speeds are people getting here in LOS ?

My system seems to settle at 5-10kB/set.

But I get twice that for uploading.

Anyone getting full BW at an adsl rate of 1Mbps = 90kBps ?

3/ When a crc error occurs, the dl stops. Is there a way to have an

automatic restart so you do not have to babysit the computer to be

there to restart the download ? I use uTorrent.

Thanks

Thanks

Strange about the crc errors. I use Azureus and if it detects a partial failure on a download will backup to the error point in the file and continue. Never, after 100's of gigabytes have I received a failed download for crc errors. I can tell when there has been errors and have been corrected when the download bytes exceed the download file size. Only about 1 in 25 or 30 files get the overcount though but do complete.

A few questions regarding P2P torrent downloads .....

1/ What determines how fast your download and upload speed will be ?

One can set upper limits, but what causes it to throttle at some level ?

2/ Also what speeds are people getting here in LOS ?

My system seems to settle at 5-10kB/set.

But I get twice that for uploading.

Anyone getting full BW at an adsl rate of 1Mbps = 90kBps ?

Thanks

1: The amount of seeders and leechers per download. i.e. a lot of seeders and a few leechers will give great download values. I only limit my upload speed. In my case to 25-30 kB

2: I download 2 or 3 files at the time. On my 1024/512 I have values of 90-100 kB/s

3: I don't know what that is. I use BitComet 0.70 Never had a download that stopped or wasn't finished because of errors.

Petch01

"Wire speed" on a 1,024/512 ADSL line would be ~ 125 kilo-bytes per sec. There's some overhead so the maximum is ~ 100 KBps.

I'd say I average 90/40 (D-download/U-upload) on three (D) and two (U) torrents. These are for heavily seeded torrents, like this week's TV shows. I run u-Torrent with encryption on a CSLoxInfo ADSL (1,024/512) line over a TOT fixed line.

Many things affect the download speed, some are out of your control.

I've never had a download stop due to a CRC, or anything else. Maybe Google that to see what might be happening.

Do you have management control your router?

On the u-Torrent client do you see the green check mark down at the bottom of the screen? If you click on it and run a (step 2) "test if this port is forwarded properly", what happens?

On the u-Torrent client do you see the green check mark down at the bottom of the screen? If you click on it and run a (step 2) "test if this port is forwarded properly", what happens?

I have some control of my Billion 7000 router, yes.

When I click on "test if this port .... ", I get a "cannot find server"

Could CAT be blocking this ?

Is there another way to check if my ports are forwarded correctly ?

Thanks

Edited by paulfr

Download speeds vary due to a number of factors. One is the seeds:peers ratio. If there's more seeds compared to peers, you're likely to get higher speeds than vice versa. Also, the upload capabilities of the people you're downloading from. As someone mentioned, port forwarding is advised. However, since my wonderful True modem comes with firmware I can't bypass (and i'm too lazy to go out and get a new modem), I can't. Despite that, I still get the most out of my connection. Typically if a torrent has a good ratio with fast uploaders I'll get 256kb/s down and around 50 up. On average I'd say my torrents average out to 100 - 120 kb/s down.

I have some control of my Billion 7000 router, yes.

When I click on "test if this port .... ", I get a "cannot find server"

Could CAT be blocking this ?

Is there another way to check if my ports are forwarded correctly ?

Thanks

I am not a big expert but there is port forwarding and there is UPnP which automatically handles it, this link explains a bit about UPnP : http://www.revconnect.com/help.php?faq_upnp

the test on the page by Mark Gillespie is very helpful in ascertaining whether you are forwarded correctly.

• 1 month later...
Download speeds vary due to a number of factors. One is the seeds:peers ratio. If there's more seeds compared to peers, you're likely to get higher speeds than vice versa. Also, the upload capabilities of the people you're downloading from. As someone mentioned, port forwarding is advised. However, since my wonderful True modem comes with firmware I can't bypass (and i'm too lazy to go out and get a new modem), I can't. Despite that, I still get the most out of my connection. Typically if a torrent has a good ratio with fast uploaders I'll get 256kb/s down and around 50 up. On average I'd say my torrents average out to 100 - 120 kb/s down.

It is True putting on their own custom firmware that limits the functionality of the hardware. You can fix this by installing the latest standard firmware for your hardware by downloading it from the manufacturer.

I cannot remember the websites, but if you Google your model number, you'll probably find the articles.

One or two were in Thai, so if you don't read Thai, you might want to get some help for the GF.

On u-torrent as far as CRC's - you can manually for a recheck on the specific torrent and it will read it and mark and pieces as bad and just download them. There's also an option to set so that it check's all the torrents for corrupt pieces everytime the u-torrent program is started. If you keep a lot of torrents seeding etc is kind of slow to do that every time.