Rayong

whittler

Could anyone tell me about Rayong ? I am coming over this summer to stay. I have stayed in Pattaya and Jomtien, and would like it a little more less in your face and cheaper. I have a Thai lady who is going to stay with me. I am going to look at Hua Hin, Udon Thani, Khon Kaen. I was thinking of Rayong because of the

ocean and beach. I make $2,200 USD a month on my retirement. With the exchange rate I hope that will be

enough to live good. I don't drink, or smoke.

I would like a place where there is an expat community. Any info, or suggestions, you could give me would

be most appreciated.

Thanks

whittler/ aka Mike

Your pension is plenty. Not smoking and drinking are a big plus.

Now, for the biggest question: How much does your sweetheart cost you?

Rayong is nice, and if you are happy enough to be in a non-farang area, then consider going even further south and down to Chantaburi or even Trat. The islands off the coast are nicer, the water is cleaner, and the prices and pollution are lower.

Could anyone tell me about Rayong ? I am coming over this summer to stay. I have stayed in Pattaya and Jomtien, and would like it a little more less in your face and cheaper. I have a Thai lady who is going to stay with me. I am going to look at Hua Hin, Udon Thani, Khon Kaen. I was thinking of Rayong because of the

ocean and beach. I make $2,200 USD a month on my retirement. With the exchange rate I hope that will be

I would like a place where there is an expat community. Any info, or suggestions, you could give me would

be most appreciated.

Thanks

whittler/ aka Mike

Hi Mike,

I have land and a Condo in Rayong on Hat Mae Rampueng beach.

The beach is about 12km's long and is clean enough.

It is very quiet but extremely relaxing, I loved it as a get away, as you do not drink this would be a benefit, because there really isn't a lot to do in this part of Rayong.

The plus part it is only 10 mins from Ban Phe where you can get across to Ko Samet, which again is very nice and quiet.

15 mins from Rayong Town which is a bustling little place.

Ex-Pat community, well its growing but pretty much scattered, there is a couple of villages! springing up, but they appear to be Swedish and other Europeans, I met one American and one Canadian whilst in this area but I am sure there are others.

If you would like to know more about this area, I know a decent enough Hotel, a good guest house and a good taxi driver that can get you about safely.

As for your money, you wont know how to spend it here, I spent less here in two weeks in December than a couple of days in Bangkok or Pattaya.

If you want further info let me know.

Good Luck

Moss

Edited by Mossfinn

be most appreciated.

Thanks

whittler/ aka Mike

Hi Mike,

It is very quiet but extremely relaxing, I loved it as a get away, as you do not drink this would be a benefit, because there really isn't a lot to do in this part of Rayong.

The plus part it is only 10 mins from Ban Phe where you can get across to Ko Samet, which again is very nice and quiet.

Ex-Pat community, well its growing but pretty much scattered, there is a couple of villages! springing up, but they appear to be Swedish and other Europeans, I met one American and one Canadian whilst in this area but I am sure there are others.

If you would like to know more about this area, I know a decent enough Hotel, a good guest house and a good taxi driver that can get you about safely.

As for your money, you wont know how to spend it here, I spent less here in two weeks in December than a couple of days in Bangkok or Pattaya.

Good Luck

Moss

The 12km beach, on weekdays, you can have it for yourself. There are roadside restaurants that have their deck chairs and prices are half of Pattaya's.

There are a few massive condo buildings on the beach. 120sqm would be B 2.x million.

100K bah a month? In that area, maybe 30% of that would be enough, even with renting in those high rises.

post-7277-1174799970_thumb.jpg

post-7277-1174799991_thumb.jpg

post-7277-1174800008_thumb.jpg

be most appreciated.

Thanks

whittler/ aka Mike

Hi Mike,

Good Luck

Moss

I have checked this place out MaeRampueng. There is a New Zealander (Peter) there who runs the Maerampueng Guest House. Has been there now for 8 months. He is very helpful and easy to talk to. 3 bedroom townhose, fully furnished 6000 baht off season, 8000 baht high seasons. Small condo 4000 baht. 20 baht for transport to Rayong by baht bus every hour. The only drawback with this area is that it gets busy on the weekends as many Thais from Bangkok come there.

The beach area is very clean and tree lined (20 metres). At low tide the sand beach is approx 35 metres wide.

The temperature has to be 5-8 degrees less than Pattaya-Nakula area due to the breeze.

I have checked this place out MaeRampueng. There is a New Zealander (Peter) there who runs the Maerampueng Guest House. Has been there now for 8 months. He is very helpful and easy to talk to. 3 bedroom townhose, fully furnished 6000 baht off season, 8000 baht high seasons. Small condo 4000 baht. 20 baht for transport to Rayong by baht bus every hour. The only drawback with this area is that it gets busy on the weekends as many Thais from Bangkok come there.

The beach area is very clean and tree lined (20 metres). At low tide the sand beach is approx 35 metres wide.

The temperature has to be 5-8 degrees less than Pattaya-Nakula area due to the breeze.

Hi J'

Where about's is Peters GH?, the one I know is the V.P Guest House run by a Brit called Vince.

He is very helpful and runs a house building and land agency there.

You will get a few Westerners there most nights to 'chew the fat', over a beer and Coke as well.

Good Luck

Moss

be most appreciated.

Thanks

whittler/ aka Mike

Hi Mike,

Good Luck

Moss

The 12km beach, on weekdays, you can have it for yourself. There are roadside restaurants that have their deck chairs and prices are half of Pattaya's.

Not quite to yourself, but I did say it was quiet :o

There are a few massive condo buildings on the beach. 120sqm would be B 2.x million.

This is right, but I payed a little more than B2M :D

100K bah a month? In that area, maybe 30% of that would be enough, even with renting in those high rises.

Good Luck

Moss

be most appreciated.

Thanks

whittler/ aka Mike

Take a look at Chanthaburi, you have much the same in the way of beachs ect. but at half the price. Also with your pension it would be much easier to get a retirement visa in the states prior to coming over.

Hi J'

Where about's is Peters GH?, the one I know is the V.P Guest House run by a Brit called Vince.

You will get a few Westerners there most nights to 'chew the fat', over a beer and Coke as well.

Good Luck

Moss

Hi- Peters Guest House is basically right next to Vince's- About thirty yards away. During the week, he charges 400 bht for a room.

Thanks the reply guys,

Iwant to ask retiredusn , and I know this is a dumb question, but is Chanthaburi, same, same as Chon Buri ?

If not could you tell me where it is and how to get some info about it.

Also about getting a retirement visa here in the USA, I have a Non immigrant , multiple visa, good till 07/10/07

I am 66 4/30/07, earn $2,200 net usd a month, plus a little in the bank here in USA. I have a Thai bank account Bangkok Bank. I am not sure when I will come back yet, as I have to sell house.

What do I need to do??????

Thanks, and please have patience with me this is a big step for an old goat like me and I am a little, no

a lot nervous.

whittler/ aka Mike

be most appreciated.

Thanks

whittler/ aka Mike

Take a look at Chanthaburi, you have much the same in the way of beachs ect. but at half the price. Also with your pension it would be much easier to get a retirement visa in the states prior to coming over.

Sounds like, although you don't drink, you'd like a few expat haunts around where you can while away an hour or so chewing the fat. I was going to suggest Ban Chang as it has all that and is close to some beaches. The down side it that it is also close to the Maph Ta Phud industrial estate. Rayong or further south seems your best choice.

No Chonburi is as different to Chanthaburi as chalk is to cheese. No comparison.

hello mossfinn

how is the internet speed there in rayong?

is it possible to get adsl and a reliable connection?

thanks

fs

Yes it is possible, but I believe it to be expensive, I was told but can't remember the cost now.

I am not resident as yet, so the intricacies are still a little vague.

Good Luck

Moss

be most appreciated.

Thanks

whittler/ aka Mike

Hi retiredusn,

Are you saying that Chantaburi is half the price of Rayong?

I know they are next to each other, but that would be incredible as it is difficult to spend money in the area I was suggesting.

Good Luck

Moss

Hi J'

Good Luck

Moss

Hi- Peters Guest House is basically right next to Vince's- About thirty yards away. During the week, he charges 400 bht for a room.

OK Thanks I know it, although never been in there.