Proper Attire For Middle Aged Man In Chiang Mai

bungalowbill

I was just coming back home and stopped at the 7-11 on Chang klan road (the one closest to Panthip Plaza intersection) and noticed a farang guy about 40ish walking down the road wearing very skimpy speedos. When I came out of the 7-11 he was on the sidewalk heading straight towards the construction sight at the big hotel, I think the Shangrila. where there were about one hundred of the ritta contruction workers on their lunch break. I didn't stick around to see ther reaction but I'll bet they had quite a good laugh. Anyway, just one observation of people who forget to read up on cultural do's and don'ts of the countries they are going to visit.

What you can see can't harm you . is what you can't that you should worry .

while we should nt judge a person by it look ,

the art of dressing up is not for one self .

many small thing which we do like taking a shower , wearning clean clothes , brushing your teeth ,

all those little personal grooming . we do ,

is really for the social at large ,

Instead of tell what you must do ,

i ask you a few question ,

Would you like talking to someone with a bad breath ?

Would you enjoy going out lunch or dinner with someone on skimmy short almost showing his balls /

would you enjoy your meal if you go out with someone who smell like yesterday food ?

when i was young i went to a personal grooming lesson for boy and girl ,

when i go i was thinking to myself how gay this is , and chances the techer is a gay and i would just sit there and in 2 hour i would forget this bad event .

but what i learn that 2 hour i had try to follow till now ,

Personally grooming is how you show respect to others , while you need not spend alot on perfume and branded clothes

basic smell grooming is importance , when a person see you , there use a few sence , of cos

you get the LOOK , then you get The SOUND , and follow by THE SMELL .

all this build a first impression of you . -

While i believe in freedom of fashion and taste , is how one wanna be seen as that you should keep in mind ,

you can jolly well go out naked , if you are able to keep yourself clean .

while saying this i know people who don't enjoy a shower , like some pet who hate shower , some human hate shower too ,

let say if you don't like to shower , then you got to do a few thing , POwder yourself , keep yourself dry , and change your clothes twice a day .

when i was staying in tokyo , i was not living very well off , so i only go shower once every 2-3 days .

the weather is cooling . there is no shower room in the small room i stay .

same in thailand during the cold weather i sometime shower only twice a week .

but of cos that is personal choice . the thai shower everyday ..

i also have a habbit now that i would shower before i go to any meeting , is a way i show respect to the people i meet -

but of cos sometime due to time restriction , what i do is at least i make a trip back home and change my set of clothes .

- you don't have to look really good , just be comfortable ,

that is hot , and to cover up protect you from skin rashes and sun burn ,

anyway this is getting relaly long , if there is any question or comment let me know and i would touch on it more

What you can see .... SCRUP.... let me know and i would touch on it more

Ta22:Thanks for the personal grooming tips, but I could never get away with showering only twice a week, don't know how you do it. The powder really works huh? Don't know what your point to me was.. my post was just a funny observation because the guy in speedos seemed so out of place on Chang Klan road. btw..peace blondie, I think he was the one who thought he had been beammed down to Pattaya, I knew exactly where I was.

Whaahha in singapore i shower 2-3 time a day , and during summer hot session in thailand usually 4-5 time a day ,

if you count the short shower during the night during teh hot season maybe about 15 time a day .

During the cold season . maybe 1 a day , everyone is different , some sweat alot , some don't

if you are one of those that sweat badly i advice you shower more ,

chiangmai is considder dry for me . and i am able to keep a very comfortable dry skin with 1 shower a day during the cold season .

that would also depend if you travel on motorcycle or cars , if motorcycle you got to shower at least twice a day .

anyway all this is personal choice really - my point is you got to choose . yourself , how you can keep yourself clean and least smell ok . no need to smell great .

when i am in singapore i can't leave without any body spray or perfume .

now in thailand i hardly use any body spray or perfume . just keeping it simple : )

whahaha i am not french .

What we use to keep our body clean will be the scent we give to others ,

I was just coming back home and stopped at the 7-11 on Chang klan road (the one closest to Panthip Plaza intersection) and noticed a farang guy about 40ish walking down the road wearing very skimpy speedos. When I came out of the 7-11 he was on the sidewalk heading straight towards the construction sight at the big hotel, I think the Shangrila. where there were about one hundred of the ritta contruction workers on their lunch break. I didn't stick around to see ther reaction but I'll bet they had quite a good laugh. Anyway, just one observation of people who forget to read up on cultural do's and don'ts of the countries they are going to visit.

I understand that often the odd tourist can make a person cringe with their tacky behaviour. I've been here a hel_l of a long time and i can tell you most Thais don't adhere to any strict do and don't format.

Read about Buddhism!

Heavy drinking - pathological jealousy - gambling - infidelity - domestic violence - and the list goes on and on and on.

Worry more about personal ethics. You know when are upsetting someone. But my advice to any foreigner coming here - don't believe the hype. Work it out for yourself. Common sense. Buying into some national cultural encompassing ethic is just naive and obsequious. Most of my Thai friends will respect you for your idiosycrasies, as long as you don't insult them by acting like a dick, but there are very few rules you should follow.

I understand that often the odd tourist can make a person cringe with their tacky behaviour. I've been here a hel_l of a long time and i can tell you most Thais don't adhere to any strict do and don't format.

Read about Buddhism!

Heavy drinking - pathological jealousy - gambling - infidelity - domestic violence - and the list goes on and on and on.

Worry more about personal ethics. You know when are upsetting someone. But my advice to any foreigner coming here - don't believe the hype. Work it out for yourself. Common sense. Buying into some national cultural encompassing ethic is just naive and obsequious. Most of my Thai friends will respect you for your idiosyncrasies, as long as you don't insult them by acting like a dick, but there are very few rules you should follow.

In general you make a good point. Thai society is changing quickly and a lot of the dos and don'ts we were once instructed to follow, if they were ever valid, are less so now. I agree that Thai people who get to know you make wide allowances for individual idiosyncracies.

But apart from personal relationships in which people have the opportunity to appreciate individual quirks, it is still very much the case that out in public, among strangers, the actions of any foreigner color the way many Thais look at all foreigners. While it's true that we shouldn't buy into a naive and obsequious projection of a single set of Thai values and culture, it is also true that we are often on the receiving end of simplistic generalizations about how we as foreigners think and act.

So the moral of the story is wear pants.

bungalow bill, did you think maybe you had been transported to Pattaya while you were inside the 7-11?

I used to get all sorts walking into my Samuii bar. I think we got every fashion victim in the far east at some stage. I had guys in kilts (a mistake from the outset) to the frequent Ozzie wearing a budgie squeezer. One of my girls had never seen them before and asked the guy is someone had stolen his trousers. A guy staggering out of a bar at 2:00am in speedos and a VB singlet is not something to be proud of. I have seen kiwis walk into the bar wearing a NZ singlet, rugby shorts, and sheep skin boots in temperatures of the mid to high 30sCeltigrade. One got very upset when I looked over the bar at his feet and asked if he was missing his girlfriend. No sense of humour those kiwis :o

I have seen kiwis walk into the bar wearing . . . sheep skin boots . . . One got very upset when I looked over the bar at his feet and asked if he was missing his girlfriend. No sense of humour those kiwis :D

:D :D :D

Not being a kiwi, I enjoyed that one. :o

Self interest dictates my approach to dress. When I was a working professional, my profession dictated what I wore and being a bit of a "clothes horse", it was easy for me to conform.

Here in Thailand and when traveling, I have found that dressing "up" generates more politeness and consideration from those who provide services to me.

Being too lazy in retirement to devote much time to dress, I have developed a "dress up" outfit that consists of dark micro-mesh trousers made from English imported fabric and a custom made full length sleeve and hang out shirt tail cut straight across. Colors are subdued, usually a combination of black and white and the line of the shirt is flattering when my stomach is distended from indulgences.

Pants slip on, shirt slips on and away I go, looking very presentable at all times. Six custom made shirts at 350 Baht each keeps the variety at an acceptable level. Long sleeves, as there is nothing attractive about hairy arms and age blemishes. Foot wear covers my entire foot for the same reason. Black "crocodiles" give me all the comfort of sandals but with full foot coverage.

CNXers who see such an apparition at Rimping or Tesco will now know who it is. I have even received compliments on my dress from tourists in t-shirts and shorts. Whether its my gray hair or my dress, I receive polite and respectful treatment where ever I go in Thailand and I respond in kind.

I really don't think you can dress too nicely in Thailand. I have observed extremely well dressed women with a "high so" attitude around, but it wasn't their dress that was offensive.

As my Thai says, "dressing up puts the Thais you deal with "up", especially governmental types" They usually respond in kind.

Self interest dictates my approach to dress. When I was a working professional, my profession dictated what I wore and being a bit of a "clothes horse", it was easy for me to conform.

As my Thai says, "dressing up puts the Thais you deal with "up", especially governmental types" They usually respond in kind.

I agree wholeheartedly. I am a professional working here in Thailand and I dress accordingly. On the weekend at home I dress casually, if I am going into town for a drink or to eat I will wear jeans and tshirt or collared shirt depending on where we are going.

When I need to go to immigration/bank/government office I wear neat professional clothes. The other thing is to be clean - it may be a tshirt but if it is clean and smells nice it will get a lot better reception that a three piece suit that stinks of old sweat.

Everytime I go to a government office I see dirty, scruffy farung having battles with Thai staff. Farung with bad breath, unshaven, and wearing dirty clothes are making it so much harder for themself. That said I like them to do it that way because when I come up to the same clerk next she is usually so shocked by the difference she goes out of her way to help.

Ta22,

are you French?

Chownah

:o:D

Well, off topic, but I am French and I do not see what's funny, I find this rather insulting... I am as clean as any of you guys and shower just as often. Please forget these archaic ideas about French...

Phil

Everytime I go to a government office I see dirty, scruffy farung having battles with Thai staff. Farung with bad breath, unshaven, and wearing dirty clothes are making it so much harder for themself. That said I like them to do it that way because when I come up to the same clerk next she is usually so shocked by the difference she goes out of her way to help.

not doing themselves any favours...and the men are even worse..... :o

Having worked in the Aussie outback.

We 'construction workers' would go to work in boots, shorts and singlets.

The Bank workers 'Bank Johnnies' would go to work in pants, shirts and leather shoes.

After work/shower we would be dressed in shorts, T shirts and flip flop's.

The 'Bank Johnnies' would be dressed in the most beat up looking carp

you ever saw ... plus the flip flops.

What is it about Aussies and their flip flops. ? :o

Naka.

Well, off topic, but I am French and I do not see what's funny, I find this rather insulting... I am as clean as any of you guys and shower just as often. Please forget these archaic ideas about French...

Phil

Your sentiment is understandable, Phil, but I would urge you to consider regarding the original comment as so contemptible as not to be worth taking as an insult. The fact that I am not French may make it easier for me than you to look at it that way, but it does not, I think, change the merit of the view.

Non-working days, daytime I wear tee shirt and shorts, nightime it's polo shirt and longs (jeans).

I don't know why but I'm not comfortable at night in shorts besides which I'm likely to be going to a restaurant.

If you see me out at night in shorts I probably haven't made it home from the daytime session yet.

If you see me out daytime in longs chances are I'm still on the way home from the nightime session.

If you see me early morning in shorts either I'm just out of bed or not got home from yesterday's daytime session. :D:o

Having worked in the Aussie outback.

We 'construction workers' would go to work in boots, shorts and singlets.

The Bank workers 'Bank Johnnies' would go to work in pants, shirts and leather shoes.

After work/shower we would be dressed in shorts, T shirts and flip flop's.

The 'Bank Johnnies' would be dressed in the most beat up looking carp

you ever saw ... plus the flip flops.

What is it about Aussies and their flip flops. ? :o

Naka.

When you come home drunk at night you don't have to contend with those ###### shoe laces - in the morning your mum helps you to put them on. Simple eh :D

I agree wholeheartedly. I am a professional working here in Thailand and I dress accordingly. On the weekend at home I dress casually, if I am going into town for a drink or to eat I will wear jeans and tshirt or collared shirt depending on where we are going.

When I need to go to immigration/bank/government office I wear neat professional clothes. The other thing is to be clean - it may be a tshirt but if it is clean and smells nice it will get a lot better reception that a three piece suit that stinks of old sweat.

In Dec 06, I was at CM Immigration. Seated there waiting for my back office interview for Ret Visa extension. Guy walks up to the One-Stop info window- 1 week growth of beard, greasy uncombed hair, singlet/wife-beater top, etc. Asks the Pol. Colonel (in full dress uniform, immaculate ironed creases on shirtfront, etc.) "Where I get visa?" in a somewhat rude tone. The official flipped through the pages of his passport, gave the "gentleman" a good head-to-toe "once-over", handed the passport back and with a smile, politely said: "Malaysia" (!!!!?!!)

In Dec 06, I was at CM Immigration. Seated there waiting for my back office interview for Ret Visa extension. Guy walks up to the One-Stop info window- 1 week growth of beard, greasy uncombed hair, singlet/wife-beater top, etc. Asks the Pol. Colonel (in full dress uniform, immaculate ironed creases on shirtfront, etc.) "Where I get visa?" in a somewhat rude tone. The official flipped through the pages of his passport, gave the "gentleman" a good head-to-toe "once-over", handed the passport back and with a smile, politely said: "Malaysia" (!!!!?!!)

LOL...was probably asked by Malaysian immigration to apply in....Thailand

Edited by CountryBoy

McGriffith: Its rare anything on Thaivisa makes me laugh, but your story broke me up. Shared it with my Thai and rare laughter came forth. Priceless anecdote. Many thanks and congratulations to the Thai police Colonel for his elan.

This would be the same colonel who altered my Non Imm B visa from 1 year to 2 years because I was dressed neatly in my office clothes and spoke to him in Thai (used tarn instead of kuhn - polite form means sir). I had written on the form that I wanted 12 months but he overwrote it and signed it off. I didn't realise until after I had left the office that he had extended it by an additional 12 months.

The flow on effect was that the Dept of Labour changed my work permit to match so have 2 years not 1 before having to renew.

THailand is a funny place in many ways and has a relaxed attitude but there are times when it certainly pays to play the game. I cannot imagine going to my bank manager in Australia in dirty clothes and unshaven so why do people think they can do it here.

Edited by Crow Boy

No question mark at the end of your post so perhaps it was rhetorical. However, I fell for the question raised as it triggers my thought processes regarding an often observed Asian behavior characteristic.

To me, it seems most Asians, Japanese certainly the worst due to very congested environment, progress in public completely oblivious to their surroundings. They are not rude, just oblivious to what is going on around them.

I suspect that falang who are on vacation develop a "vacation mind" where they think only of their own needs and how to satisfy them disregarding the society in which they exist. Retirement is also a form of vacation and retired people may feel they are outside the constraints or demands of any societal mandate and so do what they want.

It is far easier for me to dress up as I live in a largely air conditioned world. I can understand how those who live in an un-air conditioned world find it more comfortable to expose as much of their skin as possible or wear as few clothes as possible. Humidity is something I don't deal with well while others seem to not be bothered as much or ignore it, but dress accordingly.

I restrict my social events to air-conditioned spaces. Yet most Thai restaurants are al fresco, something I just don't find comfortable unless in the heart of the high season. Yet New Yorkers speak of "sheik to die" meaning fashionable regardless of discomfort. With some thought to resolving the conflict between societal norms and my blatant hedonism, I am able to exist with little conflict between the two, but it takes concern, thought and planning, which, evidently many choose not to do.

On the subject of dressing properly. I recently had a close friend come from Europe on holiday. When he flew back, I suggested he wear one of HM's yellow shirts with a (quality) suit jacket and trousers, socks and polished shoes completed the ensemble. Lo and behold, he was upgraded to first from economy.

This has happened to me too, on more than one occasion. Amazing the effect a bit of care can have.

I cannot imagine going to my bank manager in Australia in dirty clothes and unshaven so why do people think they can do it here.

Yes, but Crow Boy, slow down a sec -- you couldn't imagine doing it there, here or anywhere. You swim in a different pool from folks who do that sort of thing, which folks are, to be blunt, garbage wherever they happen to live or be.

Edited by Rasseru

Living my quiet non-aircon retired life, I prefer to wear shorts & shirt, and put on longs/shirt-&-tie only for special-occasions, such as making a presentation or meeting a member of the royal-family.

Would posters advise me to commit suicide, or is it sufficient merely to leave town, I wonder ? :o

Living my quiet non-aircon retired life, I prefer to wear shorts & shirt, and put on longs/shirt-&-tie only for special-occasions, such as making a presentation or meeting a member of the royal-family.

Would posters advise me to commit suicide, or is it sufficient merely to leave town, I wonder ? :o

I am afraid that in order for us to be able to give you a proper and considered answer, you will need first to provide us with a photo. :D

Hi Ricardo but you are absolutely correct in your point.

At home I wear shorts, tshirt, farmers pants, or a wrap around. However when I go to work or visit immigration I wear what I believe is suitable attire for the situation. There have been many times I have sat in a bar in Thailand looking like the wreck of the Hesperis (spelling?) but wouldn't do it when requesting a renewal on my visa. Please don't commit suicide or leave town.

Hi Ricardo but you are absolutely correct in your point.

At home I wear shorts, tshirt, farmers pants, or a wrap around. However when I go to work or visit immigration I wear what I believe is suitable attire for the situation. There have been many times I have sat in a bar in Thailand looking like the wreck of the Hesperis (spelling?) but wouldn't do it when requesting a renewal on my visa. Please don't commit suicide or leave town.

No worries - I'm happy & balanced, mostly. Our point is - you wear what's appropriate, for the occasion, and skimpy speedos on Chang Klan Road just isn't right. Agreed on that !

I recall an old Japanese saying, "Nudity is often seen but never noticed" , necessary morals for living in a very crowded environment, I guess.