Boy, 13, shot dead by police after father U-turns at northern Thai checkpoint

webfact

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I don't know which is worse. A father taking his child along while engaging in unlawful activity, or poorly-trained trigger-happy police.

A young life snuffed out by lack of care. RIP.

Shooting a kid in the head is worse

If the guy had just drove through the checkpoint he most likely would have just been waved through unless of course he had other issues like no registration, no license, etc.

I have seen many instances where the Thai police have shown great restraint.  But probably not when someone is trying to run away from them.

Aiming at the wheel of the truck? from what distance??? shoot the boy in the front seat into his head instead the wheel?

Are there no other means to stop a car, need to shoot and kill accidentally someone?

And what if that police officer aimed at the driver and only claims now to have aimed at the wheel? Probably thought he catches a big fish and shooting the driver is ok?!

I hope he goes to jail (what won`t ever happen...)

2 minutes ago, rwill said:

If the guy had just drove through the checkpoint he most likely would have just been waved through unless of course he had other issues like no registration, no license, etc.

I have seen many instances where the Thai police have shown great restraint.  But probably not when someone is trying to run away from them.

And the same would apply to Police anywhere - why run if you've nothing to hide? But this guy obviously did, and he wasn't going to risk his bootleg booze being discovered.

However, that doesn't excuse the trigger happy response,

8 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

Unless someone shot at the police they should have never fired on the truck no matter what they were thinking it was.  The one who killed the kid needs to get the death sentence.

No, the father should not have:

• Driven with the kid while having illegal things in the car
  • Stopped when the police told him so

After nearly thirteen years of being up close and personal to these children in adult bodies, I find it terrifying that they're allowed anywhere near a firearm, let alone being allowed to routinely carry one. 

When I was on active duty with the British Army, we were only allowed two full magazines and these we used to have to sign out of the armoury. We were highly trained, had incredibly strict rules of engagement and if the weapon was fired, every round had to be accounted for. This in the middle of hostile territory with very few civilians around.

I wonder what the rules on firing the weapon are for the Thai police, many of whom are working in densely populated areas?

1 minute ago, FritsSikkink said:

Agreed, but the police should never have fired on the car without knowing who was in it as this case proves. Even firing to cause a blowout, could be equally as fatal. As it is, a kid has died over an offence which could warrant a 2000 baht fine. Reckless in the extreme.

41 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Please dont make comparisons to the USA otherwise all the Americans will keep going on about how it is in America  .

"In America......................"

You can add your homecountry to the search and I am sure you will find several cases there too. ????

38 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Yes, no one disagrees with that .

That is what the Father should have done .

Shooting the kid dead is what the Police should NOT have done 

8 hours ago, waynerooney said:

Why shoot in the first place, i don't get it

Nor me. But my wife said it was the right thing to do as the driver avoided the check point. Even if someone was killed, that's okay. I ended the conversation and counted to 100, as you so often have to here.

7 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Shooting at tyres to stop a vehicle is crazy. In this case a boy was shot dead but, even if the shot had been accurate, the truck could have gone out of control and killed someone.

It's about time the police here were given the training and equipment they need. Stingers, which let tyres down slowly, Tazers to give them a non-lethal option.

i dont blame the police as what other option do they have to stop a person on the run. they arent provided with western options and thus left with only trying to shoot out the tires that mixed with more then likely no actual firearm training. The sole fault lies on the dad. If he first off was never carring bootleg alcohol he never would have turn around and ran. Secondly who in the hell takes their child on an illegal drug and so on deal. Well thais are who. My ex her dad would takes his 3 yr and baby on his drug deals selling shabu and who knows what else. If dad not taking part in bootleg sales his son would still be alive today possibly. 

For everyone blaming the police. If a father took his young son to a drug house durong his drug deal and police raided the house and people died as a result including the boy. As the police opend fire after entering the house after seeing a gun. How are the police at fault. the parent who brought their kid along on what is know to end in people getting shot is the only one to blame in the childs death. You bring a child into a deadly situation you are the reason for their death you and you alone. 

3 hours ago, ukrules said:

I'm surprised the Thai police don't have some kind of rule of engagement like don't take out the weapon and fire it unless you're under some kind of physical threat.

Someone driving away from you is never a reason to open fire unless they're firing at you.

I guess they needed to win no matter the cost.

They had to stop him, no matter how, as if he got away they would have lost face. There is nothing, nothing at all, more serious to a Thai. In our countries we tend to grow out of that before we reach our teens, most of the time. Thailand though has a different culture with different values that dictate face must be saved at all costs. Ironically, even if that means losing even more face by ending up in jail, but to avoid that would require thinking beyond Step 1.

6 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

They had to stop him, no matter how, as if he got away they would have lost face. There is nothing, nothing at all, more serious to a Thai. In our countries we tend to grow out of that before we reach our teens, most of the time. Thailand though has a different culture with different values that dictate face must be saved at all costs. Ironically, even if that means losing even more face by ending up in jail, but to avoid that would require thinking beyond Step 1.

Your knowledge of Thai culture is remarkable, did you do a PHD course at Uni  in Thai culture ?

8 minutes ago, brian2f2f said:

For everyone blaming the police. If a father took his young son to a drug house durong his drug deal and police raided the house and people died as a result including the boy. As the police opend fire after entering the house after seeing a gun. How are the police at fault. the parent who brought their kid along on what is know to end in people getting shot is the only one to blame in the childs death. You bring a child into a deadly situation you are the reason for their death you and you alone. 

No point in bringing "ifs" into the equation and then making up completely different and new scenarios .,

The Father didnt do as you suggested, so, no point in bringing it into the equation 

58 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

He complied with the latter which is why the kid died.

Not unknown for family members to be used in order to give a 'normal' appearance when trafficking contraband.

Father's more complicit in the death than the cop. Yet has somehow become a victim. The true victim should never have been placed in such a risk.

An unfortunate accident, I don't think people on either side were expecting this outcome, sometimes life throws you a curveball. I've noticed Thai police, when acting officially, tend to be quite restrained in their use of firearms, like they'll go for the tires or a leg. I don't know the police involved or the father, so anything I can say here has to be formulaic by nature, still I feel for you guys.

2 minutes ago, alacrity said:

He complied with the latter which is why the kid died.

Not unknown for family members to be used in order to give a 'normal' appearance when trafficking contraband.

Father's more complicit in the death than the cop. Yet has somehow become a victim. The true victim should never have been placed in such a risk.

Thai logic : If the kid hadnt had been there, the cop wouldnt have killed him 

Archived